1g or GM MAF

86starionIA

ok so i gotta question i apologize if its been asked before i searched and didn't find anything but could some one tell me about doing a mass air flow sensor swap on an 86 starion. i would like to know how exactly to do the swap for either a 1g or gm maf

A "1G" is still a Karman Vortex type(uses ultrasonic waves as measured from one side to the other and how the air flow disrupts them) MAF like you have now just wired up differently because of a change where one temp. sensor was placed. The MG "MAS" is completely different type, it uses a heated wire and to use that you MUST get a MAS translator then tune it to trick the ECU into using that other type of signal otherwise the ECU couldn't make use of it. Your 86 fuel system also has a pressure sensor. Whether you use a stock MAF or switch to another you will still have it. If you aren't running a huge turbo or very high boost, getting rid of a stock MAF will gain you nothing. You need a fuel cut defender (HKS FCD) to get past the fuel cut from the ECU and that intercepts the signal from the pressure sensor when boost exceeds the limit so that the ECU doesn't see it. If you only have a stock turbo, you would have no use for a MAF translator and GM MAS. If you want to swap it anyway, how to do so is in the FAQ.

at t

A "1G" is still a Karman Vortex type(uses ultrasonic waves as measured from one side to the other and how the air flow disrupts them) MAF like you have now just wired up differently because of a change where one temp. sensor was placed. The MG "MAS" is completely different type, it uses a heated wire and to use that you MUST get a MAS translator then tune it to trick the ECU into using that other type of signal otherwise the ECU couldn't make use of it. Your 86 fuel system also has a pressure sensor. Whether you use a stock MAF or switch to another you will still have it. If you aren't running a huge turbo or very high boost, getting rid of a stock MAF will gain you nothing. You need a fuel cut defender (HKS FCD) to get past the fuel cut from the ECU and that intercepts the signal from the pressure sensor when boost exceeds the limit so that the ECU doesn't see it. If you only have a stock turbo, you would have no use for a MAF translator and GM MAS. If you want to swap it anyway, how to do so is in the FAQ.

i think i'm gonna keep my starion as stock as i can i do have another complete engine i might look into building tho

If you use the 1G MAS on an 88/89 you don't need to worry about a FCD because it already has like a 20psi cut already!!! Then add the mas on top your looking at 22-23 psi without fuel cut. Since the op has an 86 I'm assuming, it would raise fuel cut for him but only by a few psi. If you do decide you want to run a 1g dsm maf let me know as I have one for sale. I have a 1g mas a 1g BOV and a 1g steering wheel.. Was planning on using on my starion but I sold it and bought a 4runner.

Edited by Spooled_Starion

If you use the 1G MAS on an 88/89 you don't need to worry about a FCD because it already has like a 20psi cut already!!! Then add the mas on top your looking at 22-23 psi without fuel cut. Since the op has an 86 I'm assuming, it would raise fuel cut for him but only by a few psi. If you do decide you want to run a 1g dsm maf let me know as I have one for sale. I have a 1g mas a 1g BOV and a 1g steering wheel.. Was planning on using on my starion but I sold it and bought a 4runner.

86 is different from 87-89

not only is the airflow meter connector different, it has 2 850cc injectors instead of 650/1050. a 1g maf wont change his boost cut, 86 has a boost reader basically, that tells the ecu what psi hes at, FCD for that

When you put in the FCD the fuel cut goes away and there isn't one on the 87+ cars. They all use a MAF and if you want more fuel you are stuck with a translator. You can either use an SAFC which imo it ten times better than a MAFT but its also ten time harded to tune. A MAFT means you have to ditch the MAF and get a GM MAS that costs more money and you have to keep it cleaned. Most stick it after the turbo so they can put a filter on the compressor housing and I suppose they think it looks more impressive when the hood is up but I could care less how it looks, I care how it performs. If a stock MAF gets a "screwy high frequency" signal that switches the signal to the tach, can a MAS get the same screwy signal thing? Does the SAFC eliminate the screwy signal since its a translator or does it happen anyway. If no screwy signal with the GM MAS, they that would eliminate that issue but I can't answer that question and I don't know if anyone else can either.