Adjustable front and rear shocks-available soon

I received the final shock today and took some pics. the kit will use this cartridge in the front and rear. the fronts should be relatively easy to convert but the rears will require some effort. Its a rather crucial part of the vehicle and can't just be slapped together. At first I was going to bulid the rear strut housing from aluminum but I talked to some fabricators and they suggested that we use steel to prevent cracking due to high pressures in turns. If this suspension didn't put the camber load on the strut, we could have gotten away with a much lighter part.

there are some more pics on my site. let me know what you guys think,

http://www.antimpower.com/products/shocks/kyb01.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Art, you ever think about using Koni cartridges?  I love the Koni's and would love to have some on my Quest.  Also have you thought about making a full kit with coilovers and everything included?  I know I'd buy one.

Laters,

Brian

I am sure the Konis will just slip right in there instead of the KYBs but the konis are about $30 more than the KYBs each. Thats an extra $120. these things on their hardest setting will knock ones tooth out, I can't even move them by hand. cant wait to get this done ;D

As for springs, I actually I  must correct myself, I will not have a complete perch on the rear housings. I will just have a ring for the GC coilover sleve to sit on and therefore it will not work with stock type springs.

Sounds good Art.  Keep us posted.  How is the quality of the GAB compared to the other brands out there like Tokico, Koni, Bilstein, and KYB?  I will be needing some to go along with the GC coilovers, so this looks perfect.

Thanks for all the hard work. 8)

GABs are awsome, I dont know how to really rank them, I would say similar to KONI. but dont go looking for other brands for the MR2. the only ones that are the replaceable cartridge type are the KONI and KYB. Billstein, GAB and others come in complete sealed struts which are of no use in this case.

The GABs I have for the starion have been discontinued for a while, they were not adjustable either. they were similar to the tokikos but about 15% stiffer.

no it won't be just for me, It will available as a kit.

Most likely I will leave it up to you guys to purchase the cartridges from anywhere you choose and you will be able to get the KONI or KYB. I dont plan on becoming a middle man for those.

the hard part is the time in research and material cost of making the first set, then it becomes easier.

My shop is a Koni dealer and I get killer deals on them so we may be able to work together on this.  Are you gonna provide us with part numbers or applications to search for the cartridges?  I can get prices for the Koni's already.  I am also linked tightly with a Bilstein dealer so I can get those at a nice rate as well.  Just lemme know on applications and I'll get ya prices.

Thanks,

Brian

Conquest351: i think the Koni part# is: "8641-1221 Sport" , a couple of prices I saw on the net wer $615 for 4 of them. hopefully you can get a better deal

Rusky: Bilsteins wont work, they are complete struts, only koni and kyb will work

MainstreaM: this will work for the adjustable suspention also. the rears will be in a complete housing, and the fronts will need the removoal of the stock internals so you can fit the cartridge in it. it might be some work, so you might want to see if you can locate a set of non-adjustable stock front  struts.

88TSI_Rob: yes the fronts shocks will be about 1" shorter than stock. as I mentioned above, this kit will be compatible with Ground Control coilovers only. why spend the money and get these awsome socks and stay with regular springs? it will be too much work to try to make the rear shock hosing accept the stock type 5"wide springs.

Well, the best I can do is $158.40 each and that comes to $633.60 for the set of 4, so I guess I'm not gonna be the best hookup.  Unless, you have them done this month and buy a full set for the car then I can sell them to you at $601.92 for the set.  My supplier is offering a monthly special for full sets.  But that's up to you, I may just get me a set and hold em.  LOL

Laters,

Brian

I have been working the brakes lights and camber plates this week. my contact for machine went on vacation and wont be back till middle of next week so I am waiting for him.

as mentioned earlier, the only shocks that are possible to use on this car are the koni and the kyb. no other shock manufacturer makes an adjustable cartridge that we can use. the konis are $150 each and the kyb $90 each. you can make the choice between those. I will not be selling the shocks. you can get them from summit or some other place and then use it with the kit that I am putting together.

• 2 weeks later...

none of the eclipse shocks remotly resembly ours. one early 280Z and 2nd gen nissan maxima rear shocks are the ones that were even worth looking at but nothing worth messing with.

i just spend $200 on a TAP to thread the top of the new housing. it will come in this weekend.

Brian, I think the price for the front and rear kit minus the shock cartridges should be between $200 to $300, probably in the $200 range.

I just picked up the tap on the way to work. its one monster of a tap.

http://home.earthlink.net/~artinist/images/tap.jpg