Bad Automatic Transmission. Now what???

surpra550

I just bought this 88 Starion with automatic transmission. My shop tells me the tranny is shot, they then went on to tell me that they can't rebuild it because they can't get parts!!! Lovely!! Any suggestions???? And I am not interested in spending the money to do a 5 spd conversion. Any GOOD used trannys out there?? Help would be appreciated!!! Thanks Bill.

Research the parts online... if I'm not mistaken a master rebuild kit with all of the needed parts can be had for around 200. And MikeMeyerhoff on here can resurface your bands with Kevlar for 50-75 each (not 100% sure)

That's the route I'm going on the one I may be picking up in a week or so. Hang in there man, there's hope!

-N8

Research the parts online... if I'm not mistaken a master rebuild kit with all of the needed parts can be had for around 200. And MikeMeyerhoff on here can resurface your bands with Kevlar for 50-75 each (not 100% sure)

That's the route I'm going on the one I may be picking up in a week or so. Hang in there man, there's hope!

-N8

Any clue as to where online I can find this rebuild kit?? I don't suppose Mitsubishi would offer it......Thanks!

Nate, going with 2 auto cars?

Yes Sir... I had a tibial plateau fracture about 2 years ago, and I really don't think I could handle shifting my daily driver.

And this makes a his and hers, just like it used to be :)

-N8

My guy can rebuild it, he just says that the parts are unavailable to him. Seems like I am stuck.

Here's a link that I had in my bookmarks.

Master Rebuild Kit

they have a few other useful parts as well.

Hell, even these online stores have 'em

AutoBone

O'Reilly

Advance Auto

I'm sure with some searching there are a few more out there, as well.

-N8

Edited by natallica

He is probably talking about hard internal parts. I had the same issue with mine but the mechanic was able to reuse everything he couldn't find. Unless yours is totally trashed there is no way to know the exact condition of it until its taken apart and inspected. You want to rebuild with AltoUSA friction clutches. Search for them, they aren't going to jump out at you.

Best bet would probably be to buy a "known good" tranny and have them rebuild that so the only.down time is the swap. I would bet that every automatic tranny out there could use a rebuild. 20+ years is a long life without any major service. If your not able to find the altousa friction clutches call them directly and they can point you in the right direction.

Best bet would probably be to buy a "known good" tranny and have them rebuild that so the only.down time is the swap. I would bet that every automatic tranny out there could use a rebuild. 20+ years is a long life without any major service. If your not able to find the altousa friction clutches call them directly and they can point you in the right direction.

Thanks! I will be on the hunt on Monday!!

Rebuild it yourself. I did mine, if I can do it anybody can. Follow the above advice on kits and bands by Mike. I got good used hard parts from JP Transmission in Tx. They are on the net, call them. Great service and qick shipping.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

any transtar or daaco transmission parts store should be able to get you anything you need. And I am willing to bet they are much closer than you think...

I had no problem rebuilding mine. also, steels are not a wearable item. they are not "required" to be replaced. so don't run out buying a "master set". they do go bad.. but not normally. find a trans shop that knows what they are doing first. that trans is in thousands of cars and pickups in the U.S. apparently that shop just doesn't know enough.