twoshady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:56 AM

does anyone here know this car from the picture:

Posted Image

i got excited and was going to jump on it since it's relatively near me and a good price.  but I texted and got no response and when i called it went to Google Voice.  a couple days later i got a poor quality automated voice message from a random number threatening me with legal action, etc.  not sure if that was related though.

just wondering if anyone knows this car from the Starquest community and can say for sure that this is B.S.

Seems like a very odd choice of vehicle for a scam.  normally they are later model cars for well under book value, not 30 year old cars that are reasonably priced :P

#2 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:00 AM

I don't imagine they are related, its probably a coincidence. Most times people aren't using Craigslist to put up a phone number for people to call so they can get a list of valid phone numbers. And they certainly wouldn't pick an obscure care, they would want maximum information for minimal effort. They'd probably choose a mustang or something similar lol.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#3 twoshady

twoshady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:22 AM

View Postspeedyquest, on 16 November 2018 - 09:00 AM, said:

I don't imagine they are related, its probably a coincidence. Most times people aren't using Craigslist to put up a phone number for people to call so they can get a list of valid phone numbers. And they certainly wouldn't pick an obscure care, they would want maximum information for minimal effort. They'd probably choose a mustang or something similar lol.

the Google Voice thing seems sketchy to me.  I also researched the number online.  It gave me one name the other day and now a different name today.  either way they aren't answering back so I may have to just let this one go :(

#4 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:47 PM

It's a scam.   When you use google voice, the person will then steal your phone number and reassign it to themselves.  

They price a nice car cheap, and then wait for the many phone calls to follow.  

https://support.goog...384KPh7k/?hl=en

Edited by Preludedude, 16 November 2018 - 01:48 PM.

#5 twoshady

twoshady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:28 AM

View PostPreludedude, on 16 November 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

It's a scam.   When you use google voice, the person will then steal your phone number and reassign it to themselves.  

They price a nice car cheap, and then wait for the many phone calls to follow.  

https://support.goog...384KPh7k/?hl=en

followed the instructions and my number isnt being used.  thanks for the info.

also did a search on the verbiage in the ad.  found the same car for sale in multiple cities.  such a shame...  once upon a time it actually was real and up for sale.  beautiful example of a fiji

Admin can delete this post.  thanks

Edited by twoshady, 17 November 2018 - 09:35 AM.

#6 fuel

fuel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 19 November 2018 - 10:49 AM

From doing a google reverse image search it appears it has been initially listed for sale over a year ago, so I would say it has since sold and someone else is using the pics.

#7 twoshady

twoshady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:14 PM

View Postfuel, on 19 November 2018 - 10:49 AM, said:

From doing a google reverse image search it appears it has been initially listed for sale over a year ago, so I would say it has since sold and someone else is using the pics.

wish i would have found it a year ago :D

#8 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:07 PM

For some reason I think I've seen that car  it was listed in Cleveland low mileage and it probably came with the cover pretty sure it's sold on eBay for like $22,000 or something crazy but I could be wrong. If I am not mistaken listing on eBay was that it had less than 2000 miles or some crazy s***. Sounds like somebody copied and pasted the picture. Looks very familiar that driveway and everything

Edited by croquest87, 19 November 2018 - 04:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users