3000 gt motor swap how-to

vader-tsi

The 6g72 twin turbo will go in a quest using this combination:  Vr4 power plant,  Ram 50 or mighty max tranny '90 or up V-6 Model (It uses the SOHC version of the 6G)  and the motor and tranny mounts off of the Max.  Only possible problem, is you might get a Check Engine light when the Traction Control, AWD and auto spoiler are not hooked up to the VR-4 ECU.  Tell me what you think.  I have done a TON of research on this.  Just think, 320hp stock.  And any restriction you eliminate on the 6g makes it puke more power!!!  The 6g also has DOHC, MFI and a distributorless ignition system!!!  Think about it. :o

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all your research sound thourough but what about dimmensions?  can it be stuffed under the hood? i know how much wider they look so im not sure.  If it does fit thats great.  maybe you could stuff awd and awsteering:):):).  great idea. sorry i dont have any info for you , just wanted to coment on how cool it sounds.

That 4g63 looks great.  If I ever need a engine I will go with the mighty 4g63 !  If

it hooks up to the stock trans it is gold!  Is there any cutting needed to make it fit?

So all you have to do is change the motor mounts?  

I am interested in this set up.  Please reply here for all to see or email me at

cobralini@yahoo.com with the details.

Also,  what was added to the 4g to get 444 whp?

Thanks

The 3.0L tranny mount #  is Pioneer # 629612  it is out of the 90-94 Mighty max 2wd.   ;D

I looked at the 4g62b site and I wonder why he had to use a toyota tranny.  That celica had a worse tranny than our stock one.  

The hardest part of the 4g63 swap if figuring out what transmission you want to use.  From what I've heard is you will have to get a custom bellhousing to fit the 4g63 up to a RWD transmission.  Although I've also heard you could use the bellhousing off of the the austrailian 2.0 liter starquests.  

I think the reason that the guy went with a toyota transmission (W-55 or W-58?) is because of their relatively cheap price and abundance in the junkyards.  Also he has had that transmission backing his 4g63 the entire time and hasn't had problems with it yet.  Another alternative transmission that I'm checking into is the ones used in the B2600 Mazda pickup.  The rumor is that truck used a mitsu engine and mated a RX-7 Turbo II transmission to it. :)

Alex used the stock 89 tranny. Bolted right up. Speedo linkage fit perfectly as well-

I guess I'll know the 100% truth when I do this in a couple months-You can be sure

Ill have my findings on a site or in the Faq-

Tex,

I'd like to find out what bellhousing Alex used for his setup.  Is there anyway you could find that out?

From what I have found out on my conv. is that to use an auto you need the bellhousing from a montero or D50/miti max V6 trany and you can use a lot of diferent rear end sec. out of many different manf, that use what is call an asian borg/warner trany.   As far a fitting if you canput a V8 in a Quest a narrow mit V6 is no problem.   Keep this in mind ,all the mitubisi engines I have seen are set up with holes drill and taped for both FWD and RWD.  As far as computer , I have decided to forgo fuel injection and go blowthrough carb set up to simplfie  the conversion.  

Have fun

Mark T

both the 4g63 starquest owners that post here use dsm oe management

That 444hp one switched to haltec

I think I recall the starquest gbox blowing up shortly after the swap. Maybe coming from awd 6k clutch dumps had something to do with that

starquest 5speed is wide pattern and DOES NOT "bolt up" to narrow pattern dsm block

w58 non turbo supra gbox is a sturdy piece... I seriously doubt our trannys are any stronger. Seen em in powerful 6cyl, slicks, heavy gen IIIs

dohc v6 twin turbo is a wide beast.. servicing nightmare. Complicated

My choice would be a vg30et from 80s 300zx. Reposition the turbo ala GN for clearance. Been offered whole car with good untouched drivetrain in miami junkyard $400. Good 5spds; early z had same t5 as mustang, late z used a nissan box - smooth & tough.

These motors idle glass smooth and rev clean. Parts cheap

Turbo magazine daily driver project z31 ran 12.5s. Only mods; 14psi, air/water intercooler, exhaust, k&n, CFDF clutch + 120shot + lsd. Everything else STOCK

With a t3/4 + standalone + fmic. Be afraid

Want more? Inexpensive proven isky cams, modify the restrictive intake plenum, mild port heads....

You'll make GN like torque (4cyls can't), rev to 6800 (GNs don't)

An scc editor, owner of the 600hp zxtt project car, did a review of a moded z31, "fastest street car ever..... soiled pass seat" were a few words I recalled. Remember, these guys flog skylines, supras, 11sec dsms, etc

A fast z is a rare sight, but don't count those motors out. They make crazy power & torque pretty easily. Seen 2 cleanup at the backstreet drags. The nissan gtp car embarrassed the best the world had to offer... basically using a production block / heads

Heck, it doesn't say "mitsubishi", but if u can look past that, you might see a capable powerplant worth considering

Guest surferdude
Alex used the stock 89 tranny. Bolted right up. Speedo linkage fit perfectly as well-

I guess I'll know the 100% truth when I do this in a couple months-You can be sure

Ill have my findings on a site or in the Faq-

Tex, I was gonna say, that looked an awful lot like Alex's white 87 TSi 4g63!!! Alex has had problems keeping the Starquest tranny reliable with added boost.  

both the 4g63 starquest owners that post here use dsm oe management

That 444hp one switched to haltec

I think I recall the starquest gbox blowing up shortly after the swap. Maybe coming from awd 6k clutch dumps had something to do with that

starquest 5speed is wide pattern and DOES NOT "bolt up" to narrow pattern dsm block

w58 non turbo supra gbox is a sturdy piece... I seriously doubt our trannys are any stronger. Seen em in powerful 6cyl, slicks, heavy gen IIIs

dohc v6 twin turbo is a wide beast.. servicing nightmare. Complicated

My choice would be a vg30et from 80s 300zx. Reposition the turbo ala GN for clearance. Been offered whole car with good untouched drivetrain in miami junkyard $400. Good 5spds; early z had same t5 as mustang, late z used a nissan box - smooth & tough.

These motors idle glass smooth and rev clean. Parts cheap

Turbo magazine daily driver project z31 ran 12.5s. Only mods; 14psi, air/water intercooler, exhaust, k&n, CFDF clutch + 120shot + lsd. Everything else STOCK

With a t3/4 + standalone + fmic. Be afraid

Want more? Inexpensive proven isky cams, modify the restrictive intake plenum, mild port heads....

You'll make GN like torque (4cyls can't), rev to 6800 (GNs don't)

An scc editor, owner of the 600hp zxtt project car, did a review of a moded z31, "fastest street car ever..... soiled pass seat" were a few words I recalled. Remember, these guys flog skylines, supras, 11sec dsms, etc

A fast z is a rare sight, but don't count those motors out. They make crazy power & torque pretty easily. Seen 2 cleanup at the backstreet drags. The nissan gtp car embarrassed the best the world had to offer... basically using a production block / heads

Heck, it doesn't say "mitsubishi", but if u can look past that, you might see a capable powerplant worth considering

If i ever lost faith in the G54B, a 4G63,  6G72, VG30, or even one of my ol'school fav's the 7MGT, would defanatly not cut it.  I would have to say ether 13B or 20B.

Think of the power,  and moving that little motor tward the back of the engine bay will offer much better weight distrobution.  

if you gonna go all out, then go hard  ;)

At least the thoughts are the same.  Trade the poorly engineered forklift motor for  something a little more thought out.  The 4g63 and 6g72 are far better designed than the g54b.  There are more and cheaper hop-up parts available for them as well.

At least the thoughts are the same.  Trade the poorly engineered forklift motor for  something a little more thought out.  The 4g63 and 6g72 are far better designed than the g54b.  There are more and cheaper hop-up parts available for them as well.

I know 54b got its downside,  but i like it.

If it at least had a better exhaust, turbo, MAS system, and improved fuel delivery from the factory,  i think the Starion/G54B-T would have had a longer following.  Like the Rotary family 12a/13b/20b.

But a 3000Gt motor wold be a cool thing to see.  I'd image'n the TQ would be fantastic.

ok on that 4g63 engine swap i thought about it a while ago. so i did what i thought was best i called the people that did it frist bashur* racing. *sp? they told me to use a chevy turbo 350 trans and it would bolt directly up. of course this is an auto but the 5 speed version has the exact bolt pattern unlike some. thought this would be helpful.

ok on that 4g63 engine swap i thought about it a while ago. so i did what i thought was best i called the people that did it frist bashur* racing. *sp? they told me to use a chevy turbo 350 trans and it would bolt directly up. of course this is an auto but the 5 speed version has the exact bolt pattern unlike some. thought this would be helpful.

Are you saying that a bellhousing that fits a chevy 350 engine will also fit a 4g63 block?  If so that is great info!!! I mean that opens up WC T-5 tranny's, T-56's, etc.

Whom ever said that a 350 turbo and a mitisubishi eng( any) withbolt up without an adapter and a special torque converter, is smoking somthing illeagal.   I have all the adapter plates and a 350 turbo in my garage and I can say without dought That it is possable to hook up the 4g63 eng and 350 trany making a flex plate and torque converter combanation is a lot harder.   The simplest adapter I have seen was a 2.6 engine to a 2lt trany.  They took adapter plates from each engine mated them together centered on the crank and welded them together.  then drilled out the holes for both  the eng and tranyand on the bolts for the engine side they used bolts.  On the trany side they used bolts that were welded to the holes and the heads were ground off.  

Have fun

Mark T

• 5 weeks later...

the 3000GT engine is really wide due to its turbos sticking out the side. I highly doubt it will fit.

only engine swap worth doing  in my opinion is from a LS1 camaro with the 6speed tranny. less than $1500 from junkyard. chevy sells standalone engine managment also to fit it. they are meant for hotrods and kit cars. aluminum engine/350hp out of the box.