Accounting....

CaliConquestAlex

I am a public accountant with one of the "Big 4" accounting firms and I was hired out of school at $51.5k. I majored in accounting, but any business major will have some general accounting knowledge. For those of you that have lost their jobs and are looking to get into something new that is recession proof, consider going to night classes and studying accounting. It's been good to me and the field has very strong demand and a exponential pay increase as the years progress. For example, My brother worked in the same field as I do for 3 years and now he's making $100k/yr. as a fund accountant at a hedge fund and he's only 24 years old. There's a lot of jobs in the accounting field right now and this post is just to inform those folks that are maybe looking for a fresh start. Thanks for reading my post. If you have any questions go ahead and post.

Alex. I only have my AS in Business Administration right now...I won't be done with my BS until next year. I always though accountants didn't make much money. I guess I could be wrong. Any Idea on places I could look? All the banks and such all seem to be on hiring freezes....I'm not sure where to look? Thanks

Braden

I didn't say that the work is fun and enjoyable, but it does pay the bills and if you work in public accounting there is a lot of upward mobility and many opportunities to leave for something else accounting related. If you are looking to get into the public accounting sector, which is mostly auditing, there are always smaller "regional" accounting firms hiring. The work can be tedious and the hours can be long, but there is a huge need right now following increased regulation by the AICPA and FASB.

Braden, The best advice I can give you is to use the resources at your school. Usually there are career fairs and accounting firms like to use those venues to recruit people who are personable and conduct themselves in a professional manner.

Another option to look into is the DCAA. It's the Defense Contract Audit Agency.... federal government. My Dad just retired a few weeks ago from there, worked there for 20+ years. Can't say it was the most fun job he's ever had, but it more than payed the bills while my brother and I were growing up. On top of that, government insurance rocks. The DCAA has agancies all around, and you can get in without a CPA (although obviously, with a CPA you can go a lot higher in the pay scale). Also, with the knowledge that he's gained over the past 20 years, he is now starting his own consulting firm.

• 2 weeks later...

my cousin is on an internship as an accountant and mentioned he was lookign at 100K a year when it was all said and done.. and to think.. i took college accountign courses in highschool and got a recap for service management in the automotive feild.

Speaking of automotive feild.. it sucks, don't be a mechanic! unless your already one or really lucky and can get in at a dealership or well established franchise.. like Car X or somethin.. sadly.. round here, everyoen is losing there jobs.. over 800 peopel unemployed in the last month from pella windows and sauer danfoss ( carroll and ames area in iowa) so 800 peopel lookign for jobs in a 60 mile span.. NOT GOOD.

• 5 months later...

My wife is a CPA and now does fraud investigations as a Forensic Accountant. She started her own business and is doing well. And the best part......it's endlessly interesting and sometimes even fun. She gets to put the bad guys away.

Beats the hell out of doing Joe Schmoe's taxes every year.

Turborusty

• 1 year later...
I have a BS in Finance and have been considering going back to school and taking some accounting classes. Wish I could have a job offer in my pocket first though. College classes are crazy expensive compared to when I got my degree in 1982... :wacko: