croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 28 July 2019 - 09:55 PM

Having random issue w my 89 when l turn the key on car will not turn over Just kind of clicks a little w lights dimming. Like when you have a weak battery. That is until seatbelt is all the way on you. It doesn't do it all the time. Fusible links are all new and contacts cleaned.All grounds checked cleaned w new ground wires and such.One thing l did notice is that when car is running  l can pull the key out and it will run w out it.lol. Ignition switch acting up? Starter solenoid?I checked bunch of connections also and all seems tight.  It does it randomly so kind of hard for me to pin point. Car never let me down  other than primary injector going bad a while back w 157000 on clock.

What's your thought?

Edited by croquest87, 28 July 2019 - 10:08 PM.

#2 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:06 PM

BAD......... ING  tumbler behind key .........U can buy a new one on E bay 40=50  bucks ........contacts are worn and burned inside from time and usage...................
most of your connections go thru the KEY switch........................that's why the lights are dim and not full power to starter.............

Edited by markhansenconquest, 28 July 2019 - 11:13 PM.

#3 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,949 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...

Posted 29 July 2019 - 02:55 AM

/\ What he said/\
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#4 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:44 AM

Okay sounds good going to swap it out.Thank you gentlemen for  quick response

Dra

Edited by croquest87, 29 July 2019 - 06:45 AM.

#5 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Interests:Wrenching,Fishing,Bicycling, and collecting old school vinyl!!

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:01 AM

I was gonna get this one since my key does the same thing as yours and I'm also having some similar sketchy problems that appears to be pointing toward this
https://www.ebay.com...HUAAOSwfcVUEKYU

Edited by 81zfan, 29 July 2019 - 07:35 AM.

88 conquest, .30 over block,Bs eliminated, M28 head ,17c turbo,Ottowerks shifter bushing, Lower Shores Braided lines and TB parts, Boostinmini TPS conversion kit,Optional Methanol Kit "when hooked up",Custom 2.5 Intercooler Piping,3 inch Downpipe, Gasket Ported Intake and Exhaust Manifold, Manual steering conversion,ACT HD clutch, Ebay knock off GReedy BOV,put car on a diet "lost between 590-620 lbs", Super AFC, AEM wideband, Glowshift Boost,Fuel Pressure, and Coolant Temp gauges, ARP Head and Rod bolts/Studs, Walbro 255.... In the process of adding more !

#6 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:00 AM

Thank you
I have two extra complete columns w all switches still on and keys. They are from 60-70 Thousand Mile cars going to swap one out and see what it does.

#7 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:07 AM

Please post back with the results as I'm curious to see if it helps
88 conquest, .30 over block,Bs eliminated, M28 head ,17c turbo,Ottowerks shifter bushing, Lower Shores Braided lines and TB parts, Boostinmini TPS conversion kit,Optional Methanol Kit "when hooked up",Custom 2.5 Intercooler Piping,3 inch Downpipe, Gasket Ported Intake and Exhaust Manifold, Manual steering conversion,ACT HD clutch, Ebay knock off GReedy BOV,put car on a diet "lost between 590-620 lbs", Super AFC, AEM wideband, Glowshift Boost,Fuel Pressure, and Coolant Temp gauges, ARP Head and Rod bolts/Studs, Walbro 255.... In the process of adding more !

#8 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:17 AM

( 81zfan )  ..............    It not the key part it s the plastic part on back of key..........Has 1 small phlips zip screw holding it to the key part ..................what U show on E Bay is key tumbler( wont work ) U need the connection tumbler behind it......................
look on e bay or autozone and they have a picture of white plastic tumbler...................

Edited by markhansenconquest, 29 July 2019 - 09:57 AM.

#9 Sl1m1

Sl1m1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:59 AM

Part number Ls826 at AutoZone I believe.

#10 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:06 AM

I was thinking the key switch itself was causing the key to come out when the motor is running.
You all are talking about the ignition switch with the wiring attached to it.
I wouldn't have thought that the ignition switch being shot would allow you to pull the key out when it was in the run position, I figured it had to be key switch itself which has the tumblers in it to hold the key.
Am I thinking wrong about that?

#11 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:10 PM

^^^^^^^U need a used coullum   key part to fix the key from dropping out.....he is trying to fix the electric side of the switch.........look at e bay part and u will see......................

Edited by markhansenconquest, 29 July 2019 - 01:11 PM.

#12 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:38 PM

Going to replace the whole deal while I'm in there. Perhaps it'll last another hundred fifty-seven thousand miles. Car is a little on the rusty side but not too bad everything works  heat is hot and ac cold. This thing will get restored  one of these days. People always ask me why I drive this POS .I have a brand new Dodge Ram sitting at home collecting dust LOL There is something special about these cars they wouldn't understand.

Edited by croquest87, 29 July 2019 - 06:40 PM.

#13 Indiana

Indiana

Addicted Starquester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,756 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:50 PM

Unplug the pigtail to the switch under the knee pad and plug in one from your donor column.  The key part is only about the key-in buzzer and the column lock and has nothing to do with the ignition switch.  You can start the car with a screwdriver and all the same switch positions are in the switch using a screwdriver not the key lock.  

Same place you unplug the pigtail to put in a turbo timer.

#14 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:51 PM

K so l replaced the switch and wiring. All worked good for a day or two but still did it. Pretty sure it's the neutral safety switch because as soon as l shifted the car in neutral it started right up. Will keep you posted.

Edited by croquest87, 30 August 2019 - 09:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users