• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brianpaul98

brianpaul98

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts
  • Interests:Drag Racing, Dirt Bike Riding, Video Games and Spending Time With My Family and Friends.
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:20 PM

Hello everyone,

It has been a minute since I've been on here and now with all this COVID going on plus I had surgery for a torn bicep and partially torn rotator and I'm about going stir crazy. I've been in the basement  ( when my wife isn't looking ) eyeballing all the old dirt bikes and for some reason I got the bug for her little 2003 XR80. Just to be clear this is HER bike so if I scare the crap outta her she's never gonna ride with me again so the front wheel needs to stay down ( a little ).. LOL.

I'm just sorry to tell everyone but those of us who are still here after 10+ years we are the ones who have it the worst. It just does not matter what we get our hands on it just sort of goes insane pretty fast. Right now I'm using every ounce of restraint I have to not slam a 120cc big bore kit on it and call it a day. The last time we had this little thumper out was about 2 years ago and it's just less than impressive and not very fun to ride. As soon as it fires off, if you ever saw the movie Snatch where the dog ate the squeaky ball, this poor little thing sounds JUST LIKE THAT!!! It basically runs like a little tractor and the only time it's any fun at all is at WOT about 9000 rpm. It's got a 9800rpm rev limiter which I have a rev box to fix that ;)

https://www.ebay.com...ox/333618560673  

Anyway I started to do some research and basically nothing worth anything is available for this poor squeaky little bike. The XR100 on the other hand there's tons of parts. I'm actually trying to find an old dual shock XR75 to put an XR100 engine on it and see how fast we can get her to go like land speed but that's a project and story for another time. The good news was that a good deal of the XR100 parts fit the XR80 with little to no modifications. The heads are interchangeable so the XR100 HotCams cam fits and so does the cylinder. The XR100 carb and intake fit but the exhaust is a nightmare. If an engineer wanted to design an exhaust pipe with as many restrictions in it as possible and a carb that wouldn't run your lawnmower they sure did succeed.

It's now about a month after my surgery and I'm just barely able to use my left hand so all I can do is look at the parts and imagine how it's going to run. All I was able to do before my operation was swap carbs ( XR80 20mm Keihim to XR100 22mm Keihin ) and go for a little ride around the yard. Just that one mod was a considerable improvement without even getting into jetting. We weren't able to ride it with the modded pipe but I was able to cut it open before I was cut open. It was about the worst looking mess I had ever seen, the mesh screen was almost blocked with carbon buildup most likely from it being choked out since birth and the spark arrestor opening was so small ( less than 1" ) I couldn't even get my pinky finger in there and I don't have big pinkys. I found this little gem on ebay to replace that peep hole.

https://www.ebay.com...5-/174336011919  

Since I've been home I acquired a small stash of parts including an AEM wideband for when I get into tuning the carb. Something absolutely amazing that might work perfect is an EFI setup with a programmable CDI "ignition" box.

https://www.ebay.com...it/273127447029

something to know where the RPM's are :

https://www.ebay.com...ne/274287036222

and a few other maintenance parts like timing chain, guides and cam gears since they are 17 years old. This is actually a nice way to still be involved in motorsports and not have it break the bank account.

If anyone would be interested in the build I can post pics, the complete build will be posted on a motorcycle forum called Thumper Talk. I'm hoping to get some interest and maybe I can get some things going.

Ok last little tid bit of my XR75 frame XR100 engine combo will be this little sweetheart right here.

https://www.ebay.com...MR/273886557521

Like I said it's an addiction and as far as I can tell in my 50 years of life... There ain't no cure ;)

Take care all and stay safe.
------------------------------------------------------
If its not broke, tear it apart and make it go faster!!!
----------------
Brian Arnone
Lower Shores Performance
lower.shores.performance@gmail.com
New Jersey, USA

#2 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:08 PM

Good to hear from ya ol pal. Been a long time. Hope your arm and shoulder get healed fast. Dont skip the therapy.
Dave
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#3 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:22 PM

I too am addicted to mini bikes. I just rebuilt my Cag 47cc pocket bike. Put in a big bore cylinder head/piston to bump it to a massive 49cc lol, full circle crankshaft, upgraded manifold and carb. I need to port the exhaust or get a stinger pipe. Painted the frame and got a new seat panel.

I also have a 110cc pocket bike that's the same size as the Honda Ruckus/Grom. It's automatic but a 4 speed manual gearbox is stupid cheap. I'm pretty sure it's an X18/X19 bike. I debated throwing in a 250cc engine into it and riding to work and back on decent days.

They are tons of fun to ride. I'd love to see pictures of the bikes/builds so post em up!

Edited by Turbo Cary, 13 July 2020 - 05:23 PM.

#4 brianpaul98

brianpaul98

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts
  • Interests:Drag Racing, Dirt Bike Riding, Video Games and Spending Time With My Family and Friends.

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:06 PM

Hey guys sorry I'm not getting notifications anymore so I have to remember to keep checking. Hey Dave the shoulder is coming along slow but it's coming. I'm actually a ex Occupational Therapist so I have the therapy covered, I do want to go in a few times just to get the documentation for the medical leave. I'm still getting through my ADL's ( activities of daily living like showering, making dinner and putting the back wheel on the XR80 ;) LOL )  I'm taking it easy but also trying not to lose my mind in the process.

Hey Cary, I'll post some pics shortly of what I'm doing. If you know how I am with cars I always see something that could have been done but wasn't. On the XR80 I'm re-doing the airbox to get a little more air in and I just finished the exhaust to get that extra air in back out. I have a mild cam from HotCams but I would highly recommend Web Camshaft ( All woman owned ) out in Cali. I called and spoke with one of their cam experts and she was quite knowledgeable :) If they don't have what you need like a cam for my 10HP Briggs and Stratton generator engine they can hard weld your cam and regrind one for you. Think Quest Cams not just regrind but hard weld to the proper profile and then regrind. Way better ;) I also checked the part numbers and the 8HP cam is identical. I bought a few for cored and verified they are identical. There is no way on earth an 8HP cam can be anywhere correct for a 10HP engine to get optimal results so the B&S is gonna get a custom grind and mild port job LOL.. When I say it's an addiction that's putting it mildly, it's an obsession to get the most out of what I have my hands on.. Within reason... You see the last link I posted up there in my first post was really meant to go on the generator BUT I really didn't want to chuck the rod out the side of the block... If you have it you'll use it right??? It's a 5500 Watt and I'll be in there running the whole house off it throwing a party. Next thing will be a big bang and flash outside the window and the frame will be sitting there with a piece of the wire.... LOL... I am milling the head to get more compression but that's about it :D...

Anyway I finally finished the small adapter for the exhaust to mount the Supertrapp disks, now all I need to do is fit the perforated tube up inside, weld the washer on so it's not rattling around and pack it then after I get all the engine stuff done it will be ready to start... Just in time for winter LOL...

All this is more of an organizing and repair process, I think 80% of the equipment I have had been run way beyond it's maintenance interval so before I can even use it I need to fix it.. :mad:  Example being my somewhat expensive to replace Sunnen heavy duty cylinder hone. I needed it for the B&S 10HP and it was so sloppy I'm trying to make the hole better not worse. It's torn apart because it uses a 1/3 of it oil in about 4 hours. It's really weird the exhaust valve is perfect clean and the intake valve is covered with carbon buildup. This is an L engine with the cam and valves in the block so the oil can't really leak up the valve guide so there are no seals. The suction is on the intake stroke BUT the oil is draining down not up so it's not coming up the valve stem. What I did see is the rudimentary PCV system is connected directly to the carb / air filter housing and that hose was blowing out a lot of smoke right INTO the carb. I concluded it has serious blowby (verified by the condition of the cylinder when I got it apart ) and that blowby is pressurizing the crankcase. The pressure going out the PCV hose and into the carb is carrying oil with it which is going directly into the intake and all over the intake valve. I also believe that every gasket is weeping oil going by the very shiny grass the next morning after I use it so that's also an issue being addressed if the gasket kit ever gets here. It's not really a big deal since I just got the chunk of aluminum I'm making the head torque plate out of :)  Addiction, obsession, medical condition it's all insanity in the end  Hahahaaa....
----------------
Brian Arnone
Lower Shores Performance
New Jersey, USA

#5 brianpaul98

brianpaul98

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:23 PM

View PostTurbo Cary, on 13 July 2020 - 05:22 PM, said:

I too am addicted to mini bikes. I just rebuilt my Cag 47cc pocket bike. Put in a big bore cylinder head/piston to bump it to a massive 49cc lol, full circle crankshaft, upgraded manifold and carb. I need to port the exhaust or get a stinger pipe. Painted the frame and got a new seat panel.

I also have a 110cc pocket bike that's the same size as the Honda Ruckus/Grom. It's automatic but a 4 speed manual gearbox is stupid cheap. I'm pretty sure it's an X18/X19 bike. I debated throwing in a 250cc engine into it and riding to work and back on decent days.

They are tons of fun to ride. I'd love to see pictures of the bikes/builds so post em up!

I haven't posted a picture on here in years, what image server is everyone using these days? I have 5, yes FIVE dirt bikes in my basement right now that all need to be finished. 3 aren't even started yet.

Going by year :

1972 Yamaha JT2 60 almost 100% done and runs 54mph flat out but I think the speedo is wrong it feels faster that that.

There are 2 Yamaha GT80's ( 73 or 74 and 78 or 79 I can't remember ) I picked them up on the side of the road when I lived in North Carolina. One ran, the other condition unknown.

There is a little 86 ( I think ) Suzuki DS80 with a stripped out kicker shaft. Every bike I ever owned you NEVER EVER had to split the case to swap the shaft which is why it's still sitting there in pieces. I'm still pissed at the genius engineer who thought it was a good idea to make the shaft the size of a pencil and then there's the case splitting thing.... I can hold a grudge for a very long time especially when I really don't feel like doing it... Lol..

Last is the little 2003 XR80 and it's actually the only 4 stroke down there. OH OH OH after I posted this I found a 1974 XL100 on LetGo and th eguy lived like 20 min away!!! He wanted $75 for it YES SEVENTY FIVE and after I got there he haggled me down to $50....  AND helped me load it in the back of the truck :wacko: No joke HE LOWERED THE PRICE and I had the $75 in my pocket.... Oooookkkkkk I'm not gonna start a fight over it because he was a Harley guy and bigger than me so I just shut my mouth, paid up and got the heck outta there before whatever he was on wore off....  Bwahahaaaa I'll post the Letgo pics BUT it's in better condition than it looks. Again this never happened to me before ever.. Lol  The blinkers aren't even broken!!! There was no more room in the basement so I stuck this one in the container... with the other 5....
----------------
Brian Arnone
Lower Shores Performance
New Jersey, USA

#6 brianpaul98

brianpaul98

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:44 PM

Hello Dave, yes it has been a while and I've been spending some time on the dirt bike forums bugging them instead.. Lol.. Hows your projects going? I have more projects that I have mental energy to get started on them all. When I go down the basement I'm surrounded, I counted the other day and stopped at 10. Some projects are multi faceted where they are like 3 projects in one. My generator has the engine getting rebuilt, the frame getting new wheels, I'm installing a circulating oil cooler with 1 quart reservoir to help with the oiling problem AND it was so loud it rattles the windows so I'm making a custom baffled muffler / silencer built off of... ummm silencing principals :) so that 1 project has 4 things going none of which are done. I can post pics of that also.

Ha well my shoulder is going to be a long process I can just feel it. It's a deep sort of pain when it starts aching and it's the whole shoulder. The doc said they disturb the WHOLE enchilada when they go in there digging and cutting so everything needs to heal up. I'm sorry to say this Dave but after this injury it just may be the end of my arm wrestling career.. Not that I ever had an arm wrestling career but I'm just saying IF I ever wanted one ;)

On a more serious note I was working out again but nothing that would have caused this. The cause of this was about 30+ years ago and my shoulder / bicep was re-injured several times over the years. I never went to a doctor to get checked of course.. I mean at 18 ~ 20 who does that anyway?? Ya just tough it out, take more ibuprofen and get on with it. So when the doctor said it was too late to fix the bicep he didn't mean the weeks I was delayed because of this virus he meant 30+ years too late.. The bicep tendon was so badly deteriorated there was nothing left to get a stitch into so it was a cleanup job and then fix the shoulder. I have a story about that fiasco too LOL... Anyway, everything is coming along except overhead activities. That really hurts and I have zero strength with my left arm up there. It also hurts when whatever it was I was stupid enough to be reaching for falls and hits me over the head too :(

Thank you for the kind words ( they are few these days ) and I'll keep you posted ;)

Take care
Brian

View Post87redcat, on 13 July 2020 - 01:08 PM, said:

Good to hear from ya ol pal. Been a long time. Hope your arm and shoulder get healed fast. Dont skip the therapy.
Dave

----------------
Brian Arnone
Lower Shores Performance
New Jersey, USA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users