• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Yeto

Yeto

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:01 AM

My Anti Lock Light came on tonight as I started the car leaving work. Car is 100% Original. No mods
If anyone knows anything about it please help!
Thanks!

#2 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:57 AM

First off... Welcome aboard.
Guessing you have an 87, 88 or 89.
Best guess is your anti lock unit, big round chunk on the pass firewall went kaput or another part in the system.
If you want to keep your car original, I'm sure there are plenty of peeps on here who have one, myself included, as this is a common mod to remove the system.

Please browse the newbie section for lots of tips
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#3 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...

Posted 26 June 2020 - 04:42 AM

Best guess is your anti lock unit, big round chunk on the pass firewall went kaput or another part in the system.
If you want to keep your car original, I'm sure there are plenty of peeps on here who have one, myself included, as this is a common mod to remove the system.

I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#4 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:26 AM

Mine is coming on too.  My first step will be reading the service manual.  It might be the speed sensor.

Edited by tsi_tom, 26 June 2020 - 09:58 AM.

Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#5 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:21 AM

easy thing to check - there are solenoids on the top of the can in the passengers firewall area.  You can remove them, clean them with brake fluid and regrease them and it might go away :)

#6 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:04 AM

Small piece of electrical tape over the light will fix it up.lol

#7 BuGG

BuGG

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:24 AM

From a Mike C. Post

The ABS light is the rear-wheel only anti-lock brake system.  When illuminated, it means the ABS computer has detected a fault somewhere in the circuit; meanwhile the braking system has reverted basically to a conventional braking system without ABS.  Note the StarQuests have only a rear wheel antilock braking system, and a fairly simplistic (lame) one at that.  There is nothing to prevent locking up of the front brakes.
The ABS light is left ON after engine-startup tests if:

1: wiring between ABS computer and the modulator solenoids (the big canister by the turbo) or the solenoids is open.  There are two solenoids in the modulator; either can be open/disconnected.

2: wires at the brake pedal switch itself open/busted.  This is the same signal that turns on your brake lights when you hit the pedal.

3: pulse generator bad, or wiring to the pulse generator is bad.  This is the module attached to the side of the transmission; the speedometer cable hooks to it.  This sensor monitors the driveshaft speed (and thus the average speed of the rear wheels).  See if the wire cable coming from this got yanked out; happens once in a while...

4: The "G" sensor (mounted under the trunk floor, ahead of the spare tire) bad or bad wires again.

5: problem in the power supply to the ABS computer.  It gets power via fuses 13, 11, and 2.

6: stop lights themselves trashed.

For ABS troubles, most folks just toss the ABS system.  You can remove the modulator assembly by installing a short custom-made brake line instead; there are other posts describing this.  A different proportioning valve (from a non-ABS car like the Sapporos or an aftermarket adjustable one) is suggested; the stock StarQuest setup needs the ABS to keep decent front-to-rear brake balance.  The ABS computer is mounted to the metal floor plates of the trunk (passenger side); just unplug it to kill the ABS light.  Mitsu added the ABS to fix a premature rear brake lock-up issue with the early StarQuests, especially on downhills or other conditions where weight naturally shifts forwards.  Folks that have removed it and done the actuator bypass said the brakes work better and the pedal is firmer.  My concern would be insurance: removing the ABS would be seen as removing/defeating a "safety" item on the vehicle.

mike c
Posted Image

#8 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:54 AM

Thanks BuGG!
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#9 Yeto

Yeto

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:54 PM

Thanks so much everyone for your help!
Iím gonna get to it and see what I find out

#10 Yeto

Yeto

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:59 PM

View Post87redcat, on 26 June 2020 - 04:42 AM, said:

#11 Yeto

Yeto

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for the welcome!
Itís a 86, Iím gonna check it out today and let you know if Iím gonna be needing that anti-lock unit.

#12 damageinc86

damageinc86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:47 AM

My light is on too.  So is there any safety issue if we just leave it alone and don't care if it isn't active?

#13 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:35 PM

If you get into an accident, insurance could given you some guff.

I don't see a safety issue as the abs is kind of not great anyway.

#14 damageinc86

damageinc86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:55 PM

Well, when a car hits this old, and gets older, I don't know how they expect every piece of standard equipment to be able to be repaired back to factory specs.  Seems like it wasn't even really that amazing to begin with.

#15 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:21 PM

Yea, I mean.. I just told my insurance that I removed abs from the car and my insurance went up a couple bucks a month for that car

#16 Yeto

Yeto

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:53 AM

Got everything fixed after I read the tech manual I had bought when I bought the car. Turned out that because I switch to all LED Lights on my stop lights, the computer things I had all lights burned out and makes the anti lock brake system have a fault. So installed a regular bulb on the 3rd brake light and problem fixed.
Thanks everyone for your help!!

#17 damageinc86

damageinc86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:04 AM

View Posttux, on 28 June 2020 - 02:21 PM, said:

Yea, I mean.. I just told my insurance that I removed abs from the car and my insurance went up a couple bucks a month for that car
I wonder what they would say if you told them that the parts are obsolete, so there is no way to fix the ABS system, so it is better for the car if you remove it. lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users