• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Gibbon

Gibbon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 12:42 AM

What are peoples thoughts on the profile or reputation of the Starquest?

When I last owned a starion over a decade ago they were absolutely the poor cousins of the motoring world. While a great deal of starion sites are dead links these days, I'm heartened to see anytime a starion is mentioned in articles or on youtube, the nostalgia goggles in the comments section are well and truly on

As mentioned before, I haven't been around for a decade and to be honest I'm sure the last TWO decades have been nothing but decline for our cars.... but recently, would anyone else agree that there seems to be a little bit of a renewed interest in our critically overlooked beasties?

#2 BC_99

BC_99

Plays in traffic

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,296 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 19 April 2020 - 03:50 AM

I’ve been involved with them since 07ish. The interest peaks and declines almost yearly. Every year it seems we get a ripe new crop of sq owners that will snatch up cheap cars thinking that they can just get it going again and beat the balls off of it, like the civic or 240 they’ve had before. Then they figure out the cars are usually abused, neglected, missing parts, have bad previous owner “mods”, and are difficult and expensive to find parts for, and have finicky electrical systems. So a few cars from the whole new crop of owners may make it back on the road, but many that were running will be killed by eBay bolt on turbo kit junk, unfinished rebuild or engine swap attempts, and manual boost controllers. Then comes the “I know what it’s worth” posts. Followed shortly by the “someone come get it, or it’s going to the scrap yard” posts. Then the inevitable “part out” threads.

So the numbers decline... but the value rises...

BC
Steering coupler replacement U-Joints are available here...
http://www.starquest...howtopic=145280

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Gibbon

Gibbon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 04:22 AM

Well I'll be honest with you, I killed a couple with my sweet modifications and zero preventative maintenance back in the day - but my most recent one is already a basket case so this is a chance to atone for my sins

I sold my old 280z back in the day for $200 and the buyer still grumbled, almost couldn't give the thing away. Amazing how things change with a bit of time and exposure.

#4 louswheel

louswheel

King Kong Status

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 01:45 PM

View PostBC_99, on 19 April 2020 - 03:50 AM, said:

I’ve been involved with them since 07ish. The interest peaks and declines almost yearly. Every year it seems we get a ripe new crop of sq owners that will snatch up cheap cars thinking that they can just get it going again and beat the balls off of it, like the civic or 240 they’ve had before. Then they figure out the cars are usually abused, neglected, missing parts, have bad previous owner “mods”, and are difficult and expensive to find parts for, and have finicky electrical systems. So a few cars from the whole new crop of owners may make it back on the road, but many that were running will be killed by eBay bolt on turbo kit junk, unfinished rebuild or engine swap attempts, and manual boost controllers. Then comes the “I know what it’s worth” posts. Followed shortly by the “someone come get it, or it’s going to the scrap yard” posts. Then the inevitable “part out” threads.

So the numbers decline... but the value rises...

BC

Yep, spot on.  The worse thing that can happen to a StarQuest is newbie owners who are inspired by some internet blog piece or youtube video that references how cool these cars are.  They buy one, beat it to the ground in damn near no time and then can't figure out how to repair, followed by the for sale post, then the inevitable part out.  

I've owned since late 90's but also took about a few years off.  Kept 1 sitting in my driveway and just barely now getting around to putting  back on the road.  A few years off and I can't remember where to source parts for them anymore and am finding that alot of resources are gone.  

To answer the question "where are we going with these cars?" we are going the way of the Highlander (the movie) till "there can be only one!"  :lol:

#5 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,700 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 05:07 PM

I miss mine.  I really want to finish it but that means I need to find a tuner.
My 87
Posted Image

#6 Jonathan

Jonathan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 20 April 2020 - 08:46 AM

I lost the old days of this site when it was busy with enthusiasts, old and new. These cars never sold allot compared to other cars so parts and demand is low. The few of us are still holding on to these cars (and all our extra parts).

I am in this till the end. I now have my eighth one (should have kept all the others i had)and will not sell it. I plan to keep buying them as I find them.

We are a crazy dedicated bunch here. To me that is an enthusiast. No matter the problems, lack of parts, hard times, we still come back to what we love, these great looking problematic cars. Lol
Jonathan

#7 varzaman

varzaman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:56 AM

I've been lurking here for two years now. My progress has just been real slow but I'm still working on my car haha. Luckily it seems that most parts can still be sourced....

#8 Mech

Mech

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts
  • Interests:Starquests
  • Model:Other

Posted 09 May 2020 - 09:39 PM

Bought my first starion in 1996. Haven't lost my love for them since. Still the best looking car ever.

#9 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 09:33 PM

Bought my first one in 98 and second in 2016.  Still have both :)

#10 lionking

lionking

Not A Newbie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 02:11 PM

Bought my right out the showroom in 1986 - White color, but car got totaled, now have my Red for 10 years

#11 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,118 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 11 May 2020 - 03:29 PM

Bought my unicorn in July of 2005. Will never sell it, the most beautiful car I've ever owned.
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

<SOS> http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
<SQ Garage> http://www.starquestgarage.com/

#12 SSG_CARTER

SSG_CARTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars bikes and speed.

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:33 PM

They never get old! To our significant they have to endure aggravations we have with these cars. Iím on number 5 and one in the hole waiting to get started on. 4 red , 1 white. They always find a way to put a smile on my face.

#13 Fanta

Fanta

StarQuest Stalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,985 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:07 PM

I'd like to think that one day I'll own another, a fourth one.

Life right now isnt conducive to owning - I'm a newly minted father and busy with a career of being a manager of global cybersecurity for an international company. That, and living in a condo and not having a garage/proper storage, I figured its worth the wait :)

It's hard to not feel like 08-12 were the "golden years"
Posted Image

1989 Chrysler Conquest Wrecked
1987 Mitsubishi Starion Sold
1988 Mitsubishi Starion ESiR with 38k Sold
2008 Mazda Miata GT Sold  
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP Sold
2016 Lexus GS F

#14 SSG_CARTER

SSG_CARTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars bikes and speed.

Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:36 PM

Funny but true. Taking delivery of another tomorrow. My son decided I needed another as the best early Birthday gift. Of course I accepted. And now it begins again. Oh well.

#15 Funky Phil

Funky Phil

Super Pooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,479 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:13 AM

View Postucw458, on 19 April 2020 - 05:07 PM, said:

I miss mine.  I really want to finish it but that means I need to find a tuner.

Dang still!
10.95@120mph  https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8Q01UKt5q4U
Built G54B, S364, R154, stock 6-bolt, fireballs

#16 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,319 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 31 May 2020 - 09:49 AM

Bought my first one in 98 and second in 2012ish. I'll never sell my first or probably not the second either lol
Any car of this age is going to have its issues. Like other said, such a good looking and running/handling car when done right.
We are all here for the love/hate relationship of these fine machines! ... and some of the friends made along the way :)
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Turbo Lab GTX3071R, P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods, AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Autopower 4 point cage, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016, 17, 19 SCCA Solo, Glen Region Season Champion in Street Modified
The Valencia Project
http://www.starquest...+golden +dreams
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#17 damageinc86

damageinc86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 02:48 AM

I first heard about Starions when I had a 1977 dodge colt wagon, and it kept getting mentioned on the forums due to it sharing the g54B block and stuff.  People would talk about it as a possible source for engine blocks/heads, and that we could go farther and do the mpi conversion on it and use the wiring harness bits.  I honestly forgot about it for like 10 years (don't know how that happened), then when i sold my wagon, and was driving a 1980 honda civic wagon.  When I revisited the car I could not take my frickin' eyes off it.  I would look at pictures on the net almost daily.  I consider it one of the coolest looking 80s cars ever built.  The lines are just so great.  The angles are just so great.  I personally don't care about speed or performance very much at all, as long as it has at least a little pep, and is running.  So all the issues of trying to squeeze everything you can out of this forklift engine, and whining about power don't even apply to me.  I can enjoy the car just by walking by it and doing a double take and realizing how damn good looking it is.   There will always be knitpickers and judgemental people who will probably still scoff at a captive import of this era being considered a collectible.  There are different levels of collectors, all with their own biases and elitist attitudes.  It is only natural.  It seems like no matter what, just because of supply and demand, things will become worth more and more as time goes on.  If we keep them running and out there, it can only help their visibility, and more people can get turned onto them.  Where am I going with this car?  i'm keeping the 80s alive as long as I possibly can with it! haha.  So much so that I went and got a tape case and filled it with thrash mixtapes for the road.  I got the aux 3000gt stereo and haven't even used the aux cable yet lol.

#18 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,700 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:07 PM

View PostFunky Phil, on 31 May 2020 - 12:13 AM, said:

Dang still!

Yeah life just kept getting in the way of finishing it.  Too many projects.  But I'm finally getting to a point where I can get back to the SQ.  Might not happen till fall since work is keeping me busy right now.  No tuners anywhere near me.  I'm going to have to tow it 2-3 hours from here to get tuned.  I don't have anything to tow it with so that's an issue as well.
My 87
Posted Image

#19 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,319 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:44 PM

To infinity and beyond!! That's where we will all meet up :)
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Turbo Lab GTX3071R, P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods, AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Autopower 4 point cage, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016, 17, 19 SCCA Solo, Glen Region Season Champion in Street Modified
The Valencia Project
http://www.starquest...+golden +dreams
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#20 louswheel

louswheel

King Kong Status

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:40 AM

View Postpsu_Crash, on 03 June 2020 - 08:44 PM, said:

To infinity and beyond!! That's where we will all meet up :)

You mean, "til there can be only ONE!" the way of the Highlander! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users