• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 tkal

tkal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 11:25 PM

So the other day I was doing some thinking and my fingers got to duckduckgo and I found https://dsportmag.co...ad-development/

I wonder if we might might get a late morsel of goodness.
'87 Conquest black on black leather.
Suspension upgrades:
Eibach springs
Mookeeh shocks
Looking for bushings of any type Whiteline?

Engine upgrades:
Magna intake
Installing MS2

#2 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,202 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:04 AM

Very interesting read.
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

<SOS> http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
<SQ Garage> http://www.starquestgarage.com/

#3 scott87star

scott87star

Technically Challenged, Daily.

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts
  • Interests:Freezing, thawing, thunderstorms and constant wind.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:14 AM

Was there ever a part 2?
Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

I can upgrade your Fuel Injection Pro firmware

Performance Coatings!  Pistons, manifolds, bearings and more!

Now a graduate of EFI University!  www.efi101.com

ECU Vendor link:  http://www.starquest...howtopic=137426

#4 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,447 posts
  • Interests:Killin' cones at 400WTQ!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:33 PM

Interesting article!
And someone else reminding us that our heads suck :D
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Turbo Lab GTX3071R, P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods, AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Autopower 4 point cage, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016, 17, 19 SCCA Solo, Glen Region Season Champion in Street Modified
The Valencia Project
http://www.starquest...+golden +dreams
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#5 obsolete

obsolete

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:11 PM

I read this a while ago and looked around for part 2, but never found it. Maybe it was only in the physical magazine, not online?
Their solution to improve the ports on an old head that was designed without CFD modeling, is to make them look like the ports on modern heads, which were designed with CFD modeling. Go figure.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

#6 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:55 PM

what are you not able to accomplish with the G54 head, that the stock can't ?
I don't recall the G54 cyl head actually ever having a 'flow' problem.

1st import in the 7s ?
4cylFury on stock head
EIP blue street car, stock head, stock cam 11.2, then 10.6 spraying a 75 shot at launch
Rank red car 721hp, 556tq severly bottle-necked by moded stock exhaust manifold

Quality camshaft developement always seem to be the prob, from my observation
Even if u get some magical head or even a dohc one...... there will still be the same cam problem, so.......

#7 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:41 PM

dohc wouldn't have the same cam problem, it will introduce 2 new cam problems.

#8 Funky Phil

Funky Phil

Super Pooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,490 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:49 PM

Nice
10.95@120mph  https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8Q01UKt5q4U
Built G54B, S364, R154, stock 6-bolt, fireballs

#9 tkal

tkal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:58 PM

I have not found a part 2.

As stated in the article the problem does not show on the flow bench and though I am not familiar with those specific builds I seem to remember most people having problems getting north of 350 hp, most with more torque than hp (torque wins races...blah blah).

Regardless of the outcome it is fun to see people still thinking about our humble engine.

Also if a new head were designed it seems like cam options would open up (solved), just select a cam from another engine with fresh blanks to grind, maybe an adapter for timing chain sprocket.
'87 Conquest black on black leather.
Suspension upgrades:
Eibach springs
Mookeeh shocks
Looking for bushings of any type Whiteline?

Engine upgrades:
Magna intake
Installing MS2

#10 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:31 AM

I am not familiar with those specific builds I seem to remember most people having problems getting north of 350 hp, most with more torque than hp (torque wins races...blah blah).
'Most people' probably not even setting a goal. Most run td05 & TBI
Is the hotside choking ? Cam ground correct and in sync ? Valvesprings killing power and rpm ?

Post above yours, street car 500+hp/500+tq.... same 'crappy' head. An example of when you put in the effort.
They can consult him, or reference other 350+hp builds like their target

One clubmember actaually measured a popular schnieder cam (who does that?) and discovered the grind was off
Made schnider 'get it right'. Result was almost a 100hp gain. Even if a 'happy' dyno, the difference was a tremendous
New head wont get you that, or fix that cam problem

I posted a old stock 2.0 DSM, stock cam, stock head... rev 8600rpm & hit 600hp
A stock head, stock cam 1.6 miata, rev 8800rpm, 547hp. Single item both of em changed was valvesprings

A few got the G54 to rip..... with the same crappy head. They've cracked the code by sweating the details imo

#11 Jonathan

Jonathan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:50 PM

That is my old Starion (automatic) It was white and had the 14G upgrade from the factory. Had the sale sheet for it. He got it for his girlfriend as her project car. They are doing some good work to it. He is a really nice guy, the owner of DSport.

Posted Image

Edited by Jonathan, 25 February 2021 - 03:59 PM.

Jonathan

#12 louswheel

louswheel

King Kong Status

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:51 AM

View Postpsu_Crash, on 23 February 2021 - 12:33 PM, said:

Interesting article!
And someone else reminding us that our heads suck :D

Yeah, we got sucky head! :huh:   It's too bad no one ever really invested in duplicating that nice DOHC HKS head.  Would have made the G54 bullet proof!

#13 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:19 AM

Got lucky  2 years back and found a AMC marnel head on e bay for 150 shipped with no cam  :ph34r: ....It came from ACURA in ohio ....when it showed up it was a TEP  AMC MARNEL (NJV) head Over sized SS valves with  550 BUCK  port and polish  !!!!! :owent and had it tested as soon as i got it So 50 to pressure test and check flatness....
....I looked on TEP it cost like 1800-1900 with a stock cam and they dont use AMC now they use a M26 )..Ok back to the subject ,, when chrysler joined in they cast there own head to save money......( bad idea cheap alum with impuritys thats why they break pressure runs to impuritys and flashing spots thats why racers grind off the flashing on there trans to make those flaws go away ...   Pressure runs to flashing and impurtys and the heat stays there like a heat sink.. When U solider in new parts on a electric board and removes the heat to save the new part from burning up..Since the heat runs to the flaws in your stock manifold they grind them off ,,so the heat can flow to the heat sink exhaust gasket thats why there made out of 3 pieces of sheet metal to remove heat from manifold....!!! and take up the pressure off the expanding  alum that breaks your exhaust bolts......
) ......I have a chysler head ,,a carvan head  (over sized cam bearings to support the smog pump bolted on back side of cam ) and a AMC MARNEL ...IM a tool and die maker since i was 18  .. ( 40 years )..U can see the diffrence in the casting ..The AMC MARNEL head has nice ad sharp water ports with very little flash and the grade of alum is good alum not like the aftermarket ones ...i heard good things about the M26 head ,but i would grind all the flashing off the water ports to get MAX  antifreeze flow.........If u want to make a good head U need to start with good ALUM like 6061  T6  aircraft alum and machine it from a solid block not a casting....even the JVE is no good ,,because the metal the bolt is made out of expands more that alum when heated ....If U over heat your head u need to make sure the exhaust flange didn t warp...The best thing to do with after market head is to tap the  m6 bolts to  standard  3/8 - 16 ..when the bolt is stripped u take a 5/16 .3125 drill and drill 1/8 0r .125 deeper on exhaust bolt holes and tap 3/8 -16 and bottom tap it to fit the bigger 3/8/16 to fit and use 1.750 set screws made out of 4130 chromoly metal.........Open up all exhaust holes up to 1/32 over 3/8 to allow it to move with out breaking bolts.....when the bolt is stripped out the hole is .310 a 3/8 - 16 thread tap drill is .3125    .0025 bigger its the next bigger size to go to because its so close to .3125...U cant make some thing better than the metal it was made out of ???  if u can get a marnel njv head.........I watched a show call forged in fire and they let contestents make a blade and they dont even tell U what kind of metal they use..........what a JOKE  lets make it out of a old cresent wrinch !!!!  METAL IS EVERYTHING  just like the right kind of oil...........

Edited by markhansenconquest, 26 February 2021 - 04:46 AM.

#14 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:11 PM

common to see tech heads get all wrapped up in the technical mumbo jumbo, with total disrergard for actual performance
Where the rubber meets the road is what matters imo. Seen anyone drive a flow bench lately ?
You want a quick entertaining ride or prefer to get off writing a useless techno-babble paper ?

Praise the 4G63 as mitsu best ever, in contrast to mitsus G54 flop. Horse5hit
They run very close oem 1/4 mile times. 54 the 1st 4cyl in the 7s, 4G63 1st in the 6s. Both look great to me

Several full street 54s gone 12s on TBI/stock ecu, stock head, stock bottom end. A couple still on stock cam
The article should start off by explaining how bad those 54 struggle to perform

#15 Jonathan

Jonathan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:09 AM

Would have paid top dollar if they made them.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Jonathan

#16 obsolete

obsolete

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:45 PM

Man, this thread has it all. We've got people posting pictures of the HKS DOHC head and jinx insisting that there's nothing wrong with the G54B because some people have gone fast at the drag strip with it.
Don't ever change, SQC.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

#17 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:46 PM

Shame these cars aren't very plentiful or popular.  Cant imagine that these days manufacturing a dohc head at scale would be super expensive

#18 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,202 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:04 PM

View Postjinx, on 03 March 2021 - 09:11 PM, said:

common to see tech heads get all wrapped up in the technical mumbo jumbo, with total disrergard for actual performance
Where the rubber meets the road is what matters imo. Seen anyone drive a flow bench lately ?
You want a quick entertaining ride or prefer to get off writing a useless techno-babble paper ?

Praise the 4G63 as mitsu best ever, in contrast to mitsus G54 flop. Horse5hit
They run very close oem 1/4 mile times. 54 the 1st 4cyl in the 7s, 4G63 1st in the 6s. Both look great to me

Several full street 54s gone 12s on TBI/stock ecu, stock head, stock bottom end. A couple still on stock cam
The article should start off by explaining how bad those 54 struggle to perform
Agreed. Guys in Puerto Rico are running crazy power numbers and 1/4 mile times with the ole 2.6. t's doable, just takes more time and money than other engines.
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

<SOS> http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
<SQ Garage> http://www.starquestgarage.com/

#19 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,447 posts
  • Interests:Killin' cones at 400WTQ!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:20 PM

obsolete, on 05 March 2021 - 01:45 PM, said:

Man, this thread has it all. We've got people posting pictures of the HKS DOHC head and jinx insisting that there's nothing wrong with the G54B because some people have gone fast at the drag strip with it.
Don't ever change, SQC.

It's nice to see the crew back to normal form :)
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Turbo Lab GTX3071R, P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods, AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Autopower 4 point cage, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016, 17, 19 SCCA Solo, Glen Region Season Champion in Street Modified
The Valencia Project
http://www.starquest...+golden +dreams
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#20 DieHARDmitsu.

DieHARDmitsu.

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts
  • Interests:Star Orion

Posted Yesterday, 07:00 PM

psu_Crash, on 06 March 2021 - 05:20 PM, said:

It's nice to see the crew back to normal form :)
Yep, we're still hoping for that twin cam option.
Posted ImagePosted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users