sr20 radiator

87TSiStock

so i want to go to the s13 sr20det 3 row radiator this summer as the current one is bad but i was confused with the whole conversation in other threads on the thermo switch. I know on the stock radiator the switch is on the bottom of the radiator and with the new one they obviously do not have those plugs. Do i need those for switching to the new style? For the fans i was thinking of just running a toggle switch with direct on/off power. If you guys could tell me a little about the thermo switch and what to do with the fans and the idea of running them that way or if i should run the switch and get a relay kit would be awesome.

Thanks.

that switch grounds threw bracket, switched power in and power to fans out, stick the sensor in your rad under the upper hose, also the fans than come on that have a black power wire and blue ground, if you wire the blue wire as power and use black as ground the fans will push towards rad and thats backwards

X2 for the 'probe' thermostat sensors, had great results with them and buy the 2 row , 3 row is overkill and takes up to much valuable and much needed space.

I had that fan switch on my Starion years ago. The thing ALWAYS leaked. I adjusted, twisted, reinstalled, poked, pulled prodded, cussed, finally removed the whole darned contraption and fixed my OEM sensor problem and never had another issue.

Me too on the probe, dunno how it could possibly leak? I've been running mine since I bought my car, it was the first thing I did as my fans ran constant and it was really irritating. Several years and maybe 30k later still working beautifully!

So using that probe style removes the whole idea of the toggle switches and just runs on the probe? (which i dont mind).And i see in the probe kit it says its only for one fan does that mean i have to buy two or can you splice them?

it doesn't take much to trip a relay, so as long as your fans are wired properly I'd guess it could do 2, or use 1 relay for both fans then it should definitely work. I don't know for sure though, only one fan on my car.

i sent my radiator to BC_99 he welded on mounting tabs and the 2 bungs on the bottom for fan sensors.

i opted for the 3/8-NPT rather then the metric stock type bung.

now my 3 row is a bolt in.

put this in your lower radiator hose or upper

http://prosportgauge...se-adaptor.aspx

if you use the stock sensor you need to run a ground wire from the little screw in pic next to sensor to a good ground.

Note.

Stock sensors will not fit.

I believe it is 1/8 npt

http://prosportgauges.com/images/products/detail/shiftlights5c.jpg

this helped me when I had to go through my stock fan / relay wiring because it was hacked and was made to run all the time.

also some guys put the thermo sensor in the spot where the egr thermo valve is.. if you have the egr delete.

its a good read which ever route you decide.

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=1067&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The piece IW posted looks nice. I had the "probe" that stuck in the radiator hose. It constantly seeped along the probe wire and leaked out by the radiator inlet. NOTHING I could do stopped it. Was I doing something wrong?