Thicker gasket to stop exhaust leak?

Silver86

Is there a stud broke off in the head and not holding the flange tight?

Generally, if your gasket is leaking its either no good anymore and needs replaced or your manifold flange is warped will need to be machined flat again. Mine was warped from driving it when a stud was broke off in the head. After I had it machined flat again I used a OEM gasket, which is a metal layer gasket, that I have re-used about 6 times now.

Edited by NotStock88

A thicker gasket would be a band aid at best. As stated above, the flanges must be flat. Also check for debris or rusty scale that needs to be cleaned off. That stuff will also cause sealing issues.

Put a layer of silicone on each side of the gasket. And old drag racer clued me in to that many years ago when I had a set of leaky headers on an old Monza. I was blowing gaskets every other week until I siliconed them. Never again.

Remove the turbo hot side, and inspect the mating surfaces. Look for anything out of the ordinary. Check the studs and nuts to make sure it's all ok.

Replace the gasket with a new one and tighten everything properly.

Just to be clear ... I think ppl in this thread are talking about 2 different gaskets. I think the OP is talking about the 4-hole turbo to manifold gasket from what he initially said. It seems like some are talking about the manifold to head gasket - which I agree - the manifold does need to be flat for perfect seal. Whichever gasket you are talking about Silver86 you got your answer either way.

Red RTV works on some NA applications. Turbo engines have more exhaust heat and higher pressures. Red RTV just gets burned up. It can also hurt oxygen sensors if the RTV gets on it. If both flanges are flat then you don't need gimiky fixes.