What are these two ports?

silverarrow89

And hence..

Do not drive it with just duck tape on there. They are for the power brake booster.

...and hence why when driving around the block and without installing the new front rotors, calipers and pads, I said "Wow.. thats some serious wear on those original front brakes"...

What does everyone use to replace the hose - part # MB277702?

Edited by silverarrow89

Wow...I'm blind. Or I just can't see crap on my phone. NOW I see the ducktape in the second photo now that I'm on a computer. It's not really a special type of hose. It's just for vacuum.

I just used some correct sized hose from the local part store to replace mine. Just buy a foot or two and you should be good to go. A whoppin' $2. lol

- Charles

Im pretty sure it IS a special hose from factory. Someone on here most likely has it. I wanna say its like a double hose, two hoses in one.

I think you're correct. I remember seeing it in my garage before the rebuild, it has a 6" black second sleeve over a portion of it, probably to protect it from the heat in the area. I'm looking into a braided steel line for $15. I'll post my findings.

That hose requires a check valve between the booster and manifold. It's essential to keep a vacuum supply inside the booster and keep turbo boost pressure out of the brake booster. Your brakes will not work right, or not at all without the check valve. The line also Ts and goes over to the ABS canister if you still have that.

That hose requires a check valve between the booster and manifold. It's essential to keep a vacuum supply inside the booster and keep turbo boost pressure out of the brake booster. Your brakes will not work right, or not at all without the check valve. The line also Ts and goes over to the ABS canister if you still have that.

You can see in his second picture on the bottom that the check valve is there and you can see that the line is going to the ABS canister.

T

That hose is no longer available. I wonder if the booster is bad causing a huge vacuum leak. Maybe that is why it was disconnected? It needs to be clamped on both ends.

It was cut off when we pulled the motor... some 5+ years ago! I saw your build thread Tom... that was great work.. nice ride. I have a 3/8" brake boost hose and clamps going on today.

Ok... back again. For those who may have an issue with this hose in the future, its not as simple as buying a 11/32" brake hose, you need the check valve, on the OEM its in the hose.. the photo of the intake is not the check valve.. so, now I'm in search of:

A. An alternative brake boost line from a DSM, Evo, STI, BMW, etc., which fits the application

OR

B. Taking the standard 11/32" hose I purchased and adding an aftermarket check valve

If anyone has thoughts on which is better above (A or B) or if you're using a check valve on this or another car, could you recommend which check valve is best to hold the PSI needed?

Yes, that is the check valve you circled. Yes the hose should be clamped. And yes, it's a 'special' hose in that it's a molded hose from factory, but you don't have to replace it with that special hose. Theres not enough heat on that side to cause a threat. The stock hose is simply double walled just from design. Otherwise, the vacuum hoses and the AC lines would have a sleeve on the outside like the hard AC line, PS feed line, oil cooler lines, etc. Just a regular straight piece of hose will and does work. Have had it on mine for years and not one problem.

That thing you circled is the check valve. They're actually strong enough that you can get two extras and make your own crank vents out of them ;)

You should be perfectly fine with what you've got. Everything is there. Call that task done!

- Charles