#1 TroyStarion

TroyStarion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Old race cars and classic rock
  • Model:Starion

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:36 PM

What an amazing car... only thing I don't like are the lack of photos of the underbody, and that it's got that Kenwood radio instead of the original... oh yeah and the auto trans. But other than that I haven't seen a more perfect Starion. Price is $20,000.

https://page.auction...tion/c757578216
87' Sarajevo White ESi-R- Daily driver for the summer
87' Serbia Black ESi-R- SOLD

#2 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,394 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:37 PM

That's ridiculous. Wow.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#3 JDM

JDM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:Restoring Aussie and JDM Starions GSR-V & GSR-VR

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:51 PM

I remember this thing up for sale about a year ago through the Japanese Auction rooms.
It sold for @ half the asking price. A lot of dealers try and flip them for a quick profit.
No chance with the AUTO transmission and the fact the seats have been recovered in a blue shade.
Maybe he might get that price in 10 years time...

I bought these 2 white GSR VR's in similar condition for $5K (man 180Kkm's) & 10K ( auto 42Kkm's) some 2 years ago ;)

Attached Files

Edited by JDM, 15 September 2019 - 07:52 PM.

#4 Mech

Mech

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts
  • Interests:Starquests
  • Model:Other

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:59 PM

how do you import one of these cars legally? or does the seller do it for you? How do you get it legal to drive on american roads?

#5 fresnog54b

fresnog54b

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:53 PM

Same here i wouldnlove to import one
fresnog54b

#6 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:26 AM

View PostMech, on 15 September 2019 - 11:59 PM, said:

how do you import one of these cars legally? or does the seller do it for you? How do you get it legal to drive on american roads?

I have a RHD Miata that I purchased from an importer. It was no different than buying a car from a dealer etc.

I could get you his information however there's taxes and import fees that have to be paid. The car has to be 25 years old or older and it would take a while for it to arrive/sit at port while customs does their thing. When I got mine he already had the paperwork done. I still have the customs papers in the car in case I need it but with the few times I've been pulled over they have never asked.

There also won't be a VIN number. Just the last digits which are the cars serial numbers. It makes insurance tricky. State Farm had a hard time trying to figure it out until I told them it was a Miata and to insure it as such. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

one thing to consider is parts support and availability. I could have gotten a Skyline but when I thought about getting parts especially RHD parts it's important to find sources first. I needed a clutch master cylinder and gauge hood once. I had to order it from the UK. Not sure how easy it would be if you needed a dash or other RHD specific components

Edited by Turbo Cary, 17 September 2019 - 05:20 AM.

#7 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,990 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:26 PM

That car is gorgeous!

Great point, a lot of people don't think about that when importing vehicles.

View PostTurbo Cary, on 17 September 2019 - 04:26 AM, said:

one thing to consider is parts support and availability. I could have gotten a Skyline but when I thought about getting parts especially RHD parts it's important to find sources first. I needed a clutch master cylinder and gauge hood once. I had to order it from the UK. Not sure how easy it would be if you needed a dash or other RHD specific components

88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

<SOS> http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
<SQ Garage> http://www.starquestgarage.com/

#8 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:51 PM

View PostTexasQuest, on 18 September 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

Great point, a lot of people don't think about that when importing vehicles.

Yup. I can go to any auto parts store and get basic parts easily. It is more of dash/column/brake or clutch components that become more difficult.

When my clutch master failed I was at work on lunch. Ordered one locally and there is a difference in length of the cylinder body. That is due to the clutch master being right behind the intake manifold at the end of it. I pulled the guts out of both and compared rod lengths/bore. Both were the same. So I swapped the new piston/rod into my RHD master and it's been working ever since. There was also a difference in port angle. Mine was horizontal while the USDM was at a 45 angle upwards.

Now a Starion shouldn't have too many differences between LHD and RHD. My main guess would be the steering box.

There will also be differences with the turn signal and wiper switch. My car has the turn signal on the right and wiper on the left where as a US car is reversed. I kept hitting my wipers on when I first bought the car due to the habit of using my left hand to activate the signal lol.

The gauge hood on a Starion should be the same as they aren't really angled one way or the other. Meaning your cluster switches should swap and all. Same with the cluster it would bolt right in. I changed my cluster to a US spec for MPH cause I got a ticket and the judge didn't give me any leeway for trying to say my dash reads in kmh

Edited by Turbo Cary, 18 September 2019 - 02:54 PM.

#9 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:54 PM

Edited by Turbo Cary, 18 September 2019 - 02:54 PM.

#10 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,990 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:40 PM

Yeah the interior is just mirrored the opposite. The steering parts however are different. Gear box, center link, tie rods, etc etc.
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

<SOS> http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
<SQ Garage> http://www.starquestgarage.com/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users