common everyday sociopaths

Metric-man

This maybe the wrong website but can sociopaths admit (or do they know) they have a problem.???

I guess if you have to ask what a sociopath is here is a link.

of course if this post is too flammable I will understand...

in general the count is 1% to 4% of the general populace.

I'm I correct in assuming because of the description (Antisocial personality disorder) that there is a preponderance of the percentage of people on the internet.???

This thread should not be confused with Psychopathy being they are often confuse being similar in description but we are discussing here the lesser of the two Sociopathy

This maybe the wrong website but can sociopaths admit (or do they know) they have a problem.???

I'm I correct in assuming because of the description (Antisocial personality disorder) that there is a preponderance of the percentage of people on the internet.???

This thread should not be confused with Psychopathy being they are often confuse being similar in description but we are discussing here the lesser of the two Sociopathy

They cannot admit because they do not know. As with many personality disorders (narcissism, borderline, etc) if it is pointed out to them they are most likely incapable of grasping the fact and will instead, lash out at the messenger. I see it every day on the internetz.

False...They can admit....they either choose not to or like you said Edde they don't grasp the fact. But perhaps it is just a fiscade and they do know it and they put up the persona of ignorance to it...That may be why they get angry and lash-out, because someone called them on it and they are afraid they will have no more excuse for their inappropriate behavior. LOL... I have a B.S. in Psych and I am a Sociopath as well..I choose to admit it. Don't quote me on it. Edited by Laodicea

also, the term is thrown around rather loosely. there are clinical requirements that must be met to truly be a sociopath. we casually call people sociopaths (in real life or online) but they most likely wouldn't meet the requirements of a professional in the field.

stars don't 'ignite' because of flammable gases like you might think of in a fire. when a body's mass is great enough it squeezes the hydrogen atoms together and they fuse into helium. this fusion is the source of the heat and light of stars.

lol. get over it dude.

APD, like Eddie said, is an Axis II mental disorder, according to the DSM-IV-TR (Diagnostic and Statistic Manual for Mental Disorders, Version 4, Text Revised). As a side note, the next version (Version 5 for those of you counting) is due out in May 2013 at the moment and allegedly will be removing the entire Axis II concept (As well as how Subtsance Abuse and Substance Dependence Disorders are catagorized). The hallmark of an Axis II disorder is that the person does not have the ability to see their own effect on other persons, or what is known as "empathy".

My personal current thoughts are that there are genetic predispositions for people to acquire an Axis II diagnosis (in fact, the DSM-IV forbids an Axis II diagnosis for children and adolscents), which can be "triggered" to turn from dormant to latent by environmental (social, family, etc...) factors. The triggers are often so severe (sexual abuse, extreme neglect, trauma, grief/loss) that the person ends up feeling that the world is so threatening to them that they must always have some form of emotional defenses up and recoil from forming genuine connections with other people, because that would make them vulnerable to the unthinkable again. This paragraph is personal theory, however.

Similar to APD, is a way of analyzing "criminal thinking", which does not focus on diagnosing a person so much as correcting their errant thought processes. This approach was pioneered by Yelchin and Samenow, who have worked with prison populations for decades. A decent four part summary of the basics can be found on this blog.

Hopefully I havent bored anyone too much with this post, lol. And Laodicea, if you admit it then you are not a true Axis II :) (THAT'S A GOOD THING!)

APD, like Eddie said, is an Axis II mental disorder, according to the DSM-IV-TR (Diagnostic and Statistic Manual for Mental Disorders, Version 4, Text Revised). As a side note, the next version (Version 5 for those of you counting) is due out in May 2013 at the moment and allegedly will be removing the entire Axis II concept (As well as how Subtsance Abuse and Substance Dependence Disorders are catagorized). The hallmark of an Axis II disorder is that the person does not have the ability to see their own effect on other persons, or what is known as "empathy".

My personal current thoughts are that there are genetic predispositions for people to acquire an Axis II diagnosis (in fact, the DSM-IV forbids an Axis II diagnosis for children and adolscents), which can be "triggered" to turn from dormant to latent by environmental (social, family, etc...) factors. The triggers are often so severe (sexual abuse, extreme neglect, trauma, grief/loss) that the person ends up feeling that the world is so threatening to them that they must always have some form of emotional defenses up and recoil from forming genuine connections with other people, because that would make them vulnerable to the unthinkable again. This paragraph is personal theory, however.

Similar to APD, is a way of analyzing "criminal thinking", which does not focus on diagnosing a person so much as correcting their errant thought processes. This approach was pioneered by Yelchin and Samenow, who have worked with prison populations for decades. A decent four part summary of the basics can be found on this blog.

Hopefully I havent bored anyone too much with this post, lol. And Laodicea, if you admit it then you are not a true Axis II http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif (THAT'S A GOOD THING!)

Remove the entire Axis II concept? I'm not a trained diagnostician - I just play one on the innernetz. My GF is a pro so I get some really interesting perspective, I think. Would you agree that most of these disorders are imprinted (for lack of a better word) before age 3?

Hopefully I havent bored anyone too much with this post, lol. And Laodicea, if you admit it then you are not a true Axis II :) (THAT'S A GOOD THING!)

Wow man I hope your in the field because you are onto something there. But that is of corse just my opinion and applying what you said to what I know.

I have 0 empathy I don't see a point for it. I am a 100% spock like just deal with the facts make your best choice and go for it. Or like death I view it as 100% going to happen to everyone so it never bothers me. I also expect from others what I expect from myself and that is 100% perfection in everything. I know that is not possible my spelling and grammer for example, but I still expect it in everything else.

Mine stems from abuse at home, first twards my mom, then I would act out or confront to take the focus away from her when I got a bit older, then it turned twards me even when I didn't try to do that.

And yes we can admit it see above. I am know I am and have 0 problem with it, unless you cross me then it's bad. It's mainly only if you physicly threaten me (and I assume that is because of abuse I received and no I don't think that is an excuse) but if you do it's bad. I have strived to control it and for the first time in my life was able to when I was punched in the face at a bar a few months ago. I can only describe it as something very very evil that lives inside of me (no I don't believe in deamons etc).

Your welcome for sharing :)

Edited by jszucs

Wow man I hope your in the field because you are onto something there. But that is of corse just my opinion and applying what you said to what I know.

I have 0 empathy I don't see a point for it. I am a 100% spock like just deal with the facts make your best choice and go for it. Or like death I view it as 100% going to happen to everyone so it never bothers me. I also expect from others what I expect from myself and that is 100% perfection in everything. I know that is not possible my spelling and grammer for example, but I still expect it in everything else.

Mine stems from abuse at home, first twards my mom, then I would act out or confront to take the focus away from her when I got a bit older, then it turned twards me even when I didn't try to do that.

And yes we can admit it see above. I am know I am and have 0 problem with it, unless you cross me then it's bad. It's mainly only if you physicly threaten me (and I assume that is because of abuse I received and no I don't think that is an excuse) but if you do it's bad. I have strived to control it and for the first time in my life was able to when I was punched in the face at a bar a few months ago. I can only describe it as something very very evil that lives inside of me (no I don't believe in deamons etc).

Your welcome for sharing http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3227/3035775728_32027cb5be.jpg

I have a B.S. in Psych and I am a Sociopath as well..I choose to admit it. Don't quote me on it.

sorry...but i just cant resist the quote..lol

Daniel

The way I understand it is the reason anyone under 17 is not tested for the condition is that between 7 and 16 lying,

is prevalent activity and normal form of left right hemisphere cognition..(learning process)

a healthy growth developmental stage that after 17 in most cases ceases to continue.. but in those cases that do not...are mostly attributed

to some form of neglect of abuse by a adult or sibling during this development and in some cases is continued as a form of protection.. the

first signs of the abusive personality (if continued) are usually identified by the court system by 15 yrs or 16yrs, less sever cases at 23

to 28yrs.. in other words if you have problems it is manifest by wrong choices and 9 times out of 10 you end up in court for some kind of anti social behavior.. you know laws and rules?..

they don't apply to the sociopathic super ego.

That sounds like a fairly solid explanation as I understand it, as well. As children, everything that happens is so personal (if something bad happens to me, it is because I deserved it) in order for the world to "make sense". As we age, we start to see the world as more complex and obtain the ability to understand that the child version of the world isnt that simple. Children and adolescents who are unable to make this emotional and developmental transition (become stunted in their development) end up having this world view while being in an adult body, which causes problems. People who use alcohol, pot, and other drugs beyond a social/recreational motivation and use it to "numb the pain", stunt their development. People who suffer severe abuse/neglect may also become stunted in their development. That said, it is not useful to forget that ultimately a person's actions are taken by their CHOICE, and therefore responsible for the consequences of those choices.

Jszucs, yes I am in the field. I don't know a whole lot about Starquests yet (though trying to learn!); therapy and personality theory I have a bit more experience with :)

The way I understand it is the reason anyone under 17 is not tested for the condition is that between 7 and 16 lying,

is prevalent activity and normal form of left right hemisphere cognition..(learning process)

a healthy growth developmental stage that after 17 in most cases ceases to continue.. but in those cases that do not...are mostly attributed

to some form of neglect of abuse by a adult or sibling during this development and in some cases is continued as a form of protection.. the

first signs of the abusive personality (if continued) are usually identified by the court system by 15 yrs or 16yrs, less sever cases at 23

to 28yrs.. in other words if you have problems it is manifest by wrong choices and 9 times out of 10 you end up in court for some kind of anti social behavior.. you know laws and rules?..

they don't apply to the sociopathic super ego.

so we have slightly over 4,000 sociopaths on this site alone http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/wub.gif

more like 4,000 normal people and 6,000 nut cases http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

so we have slightly over 4,000 sociopaths on this site alone http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/wub.gif

more like 4,000 normal people and 6,000 nut cases http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

How many of those 4 or 6,000 actually post..?

We can say we're getting social with the anti social ?? :mellow: