4G64/63 vs. G54 cost comparison for big horsepower

NW TSI

I am kinda at a fork in the road right now, I am to the point where if I keep progressing any farther with drifting im gonna need a serious motor...like 400 plus horsepower to compete with the big boys around a 5/8ths bank. I love v8's but thats what everyone is doing. The 4g family looks good cause i have seen some built dsm's with tons of horsepower. Are the g54's even capable of 400 plus hp? I think an Ls v8 would be the most bang for the buck at this point, but would like to stay mitsu under the hood. Opinions? Knowledge? Thanks
  • Like 1

The 4g family looks good cause i have seen some built dsm's with tons of horsepower.

Have YOU ever built one?

Are the g54's even capable of 400 plus hp?

Nope

I think an Ls v8 would be the most bang for the buck at this point,

Yep

I like your style phinko.. short and to the point.

His car has over 400hp

the 4G6x motors can make 400 easy, takes a little more effort with the G54B. But with either one, 400+hp, your gonna start having issues if you stick with the stock transmission

I was thinkin about a t56. Also, how high can a propely balanced G54 rev? is seven thousand a reasonable rpm? And are there built G54's working so hard that they aren't reliable?

7k is doable, but you'll want a different cam to move the power band up there. The stocker as far as I've seen will always start to drop off in power around 5500.

Yes and MPI is easiest way to go past 300hp

Edited by D_Venable

I guess what i need to know is how much it would cost to make the g54 hit the 400 plus whp mark. Anyone with that much power know the cost from their build?

How much do the multi ports run?

an unmodified Manga mpi intake manifold tend to run around $400. Then you have to modify it, source your injectors, get a standalone ECU ( megasquirt is the most affordable option here ) so - well - it really varies tbh. You can do it for $1000. You could do it for a lot more too.

I was thinkin about a t56. Also, how high can a propely balanced G54 rev? is seven thousand a reasonable rpm? And are there built G54's working so hard that they aren't reliable?

G54 dont need to rev high to make power, as I've noticed most 400+HP G54's tend to drop in power after 5500RPM.

4G63 can make a bunch of power also, a ton of aftermarket support. But it requires a little more work to install in an SQ.

an unmodified Manga mpi intake manifold tend to run around $400. Then you have to modify it, source your injectors, get a standalone ECU ( megasquirt is the most affordable option here ) so - well - it really varies tbh. You can do it for $1000. You could do it for a lot more too.

You pretty much need to do all this to a 4G6x too in order to make power too.

It all depends on how much work you can do for yourself vs paying someone to do it and what kind of deal you can find on a possible swap.

If you pay less than 2k for an ls1 + trans, you'll still need to put money into it to get that motor to 400whp. (heads + cam will do it pretty easy, but arent super cheap)

if you can fab your own intake manifold, find a cheap deal on a good capable turbo (and know how to find a good one for your build (learn how to read compressor maps or mirror someone elses build)) you can do the g54 there just as cheap or cheaper as what a ls1 + t56 usually costs (3500) plus whatever it takes to get to 400 wheel (600 to 700)

it all depends on your skill, knowledge and ability to find deals

just a word of warning though, there are SOOOOO many people on here who talk a big game about getting big numbers or swapping in something cool and then never do anything... its sort of lame. Choose a plan that works best for you and get er done.

$2500-3000

Almost half of that will be in a capable turbo.

-Robert

Wow who is your machinest? You could drop 2500 on a slop together rebuild with factory spec junk.