14 replies to this topic

#1 Rapom

Rapom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:51 PM

Not many members. And a crap ton of thread categories that are way too specific.. being that the search function is not... great.. there is so much information spread out so wide and far.. most of the categories haven't been posted in in several months... you could sum it up in 7 categories.. all 7 would be active. Questions being answered on the spot and long discussions had with multiple members... maybe troubleshooting/suspension/wheels-tires/performance/interior/exterior/audio... done.... advanced virtual mechanic? Vs virtual mechanic?? I appreciate who ever hosts the site and dont mean to be... whatever.. just had to vent.

#2 JAinsworth

JAinsworth

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:25 AM

The sub-categories were are the request of members at the time so they were created. I doubt we will go back and consolidate them. Let more members speak up and I will run it by the site administrator. I am going to move this to the BS forum for no reason other than more members will see it and hopefully respond.
Jimmy
Admin Staff

#3 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:39 AM

I think separate categories for trouble shooting would be good. However there are maybe 20-30 people good that use this forum anymore. At least that's how it seems. Most are on social media platforms. The problem with that is you have to search through tons of posts to try to find any decent write ups. That and the trolling on FB is insane. No one wants to deal with that.

Maybe 5-10 years ago would have been good to redo the structure of the forums but now is it worth the time?

Edited by Turbo Cary, 19 August 2019 - 06:39 AM.

#4 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:37 AM

Iím good with the categories.  Update of the board sw would be good so searching isnít bad,  The ability to host pictures would also be good.  I think that is why FB is getting members.
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#5 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:18 AM

I personally say just keep it how it is. It's not worth the work. Yes the sites search isn't great but if you let Google do the searching you won't have an issue finding things.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#6 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,611 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:56 PM

I prefer the different categories.  It helps with searching for info.  That's one thing that makes this site so much better than facebook.  I say leave it the way it is.
My 87
Posted Image

#7 duckheads

duckheads

Established Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:54 AM

View PostRapom, on 25 July 2019 - 09:51 PM, said:

Not many members. And a crap ton of thread categories that are way too specific.. being that the search function is not... great.. there is so much information spread out so wide and far.. most of the categories haven't been posted in in several months... you could sum it up in 7 categories.. all 7 would be active. Questions being answered on the spot and long discussions had with multiple members... maybe troubleshooting/suspension/wheels-tires/performance/interior/exterior/audio... done.... advanced virtual mechanic? Vs virtual mechanic?? I appreciate who ever hosts the site and dont mean to be... whatever.. just had to vent.

Google has an advanced search that works good

Go here: Google Advanced Search PageOr this URL: http://www.google.com/advanced_search

In the top field, you will see a space to input whatever search items or words you like. OR

In the 2nd field down, you seen a space to put an exact quote in quotation marks.

The key is to then scroll down to the "site or domain" thread and enter: https://www.starquestclub.com, then execute your search.
1988 White Starion
1987 Red Conquest fresh motor, big 16g and MAFT (sold)

#8 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:53 PM

I take it that FB knocked the wind out of all these old car forums ? Activity surely took a nosedive
Never joined FB. Seen folks use it and was horrified at the useless garbage rattlin' around inside peoples' head
The boards seem invaluable to me and would be a shame to see them disappear because FB is the new norm

Austarion.com prolly got one post per month and has dropped offline recently
I hope it comes back. That would be tragic and a total shame. So much good info and nice starions
Heck, if u could drag that whole forum over here... with yet another subtopic
SQC would preserve a quality watering hole for worldwide enthusiasts

#9 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:37 AM

View Postjinx, on 21 August 2019 - 11:53 PM, said:

I take it that FB knocked the wind out of all these old car forums ? Activity surely took a nosedive
Never joined FB. Seen folks use it and was horrified at the useless garbage rattlin' around inside peoples' head
The boards seem invaluable to me and would be a shame to see them disappear because FB is the new norm

Austarion.com prolly got one post per month and has dropped offline recently
I hope it comes back. That would be tragic and a total shame. So much good info and nice starions
Heck, if u could drag that whole forum over here... with yet another subtopic
SQC would preserve a quality watering hole for worldwide enthusiasts

I made a post a while back about updating the Starion/Conquest website list as 95 percent of those links are dead. It was shot down by the OP as he didnt like the idea of redoing it or something.

I had Facebook before but deleted my account. I felt it was a distraction and everyone on there has an opinion and god forbid you go against theirs. Social media could be a great tool but all it did was give soap boxes to people who never needed one in the first place.

#10 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:01 AM

I am not a facebook person

#11 ucw458

ucw458

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,611 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 02:46 PM

Here's an example of some of the shady stuff facebook does.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=t7tA3NNKF0Q
My 87
Posted Image

#12 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,975 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:30 AM

I like the sub-categories as well. It's the best form of search help we have.
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

<SOS> http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
<SQ Garage> http://www.starquestgarage.com/

#13 SFBMX88

SFBMX88

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts
  • Interests:WE LIKE THE MOON!!!!!

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:36 AM

All the people that still use SQC have probably posted in this thread lol.  The organization of posts and info here is way better than trying to sift through old fb posts.  Way too many starquest groups there too, so info is spread out even further. Some sections could be consolidated, but it works overall.

#14 Rapom

Rapom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:16 PM

Im not saying get rid of sub categories... im just saying have less categories.. i mean wheels and tires? I cant even post in there?? So if i just bought new tires that fit an shp where would i post pics and start a discussion? In the "bs" sub category? Just tried to post some pics of my car and build progress in bs... pic size limit is 9.8kb ? Id post a "rolly eyes" emoticon but it would probably be to large.

Edited by Rapom, 02 September 2019 - 09:26 PM.

#15 ucw458

ucw458

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,611 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:56 AM

That's the FAQ section.  It's not open for everyone to post in that way it doesn't get cluttered.  It's meant to be quick reference info.  If a member posts good info that deserves to be in the FAQ a mod can move it there.

Websites pay for bandwidth used.  Pictures use alot of bandwidth.  So file sizes hosted by this site are limited.  If you want bigger pictures use a free image hosting site like imagur.
My 87
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users