Windshield washer pump replacement -Front

Gregster1234

1. Remove the battery and battery tray.

2. Remove the washer tank mounting bolt.

3. Remove the washer tank.

Everything on these cars should be this easy.  ☺️

Well, there is one thing to look out for.   The typical problem with our tanks is the rubber seal on the pump degrades with time or the pump gets jarred in it causing a leak.   On the tank, there is an L bracket that bolts to the core support.  You can remove the nut securing the tank to the L bracket, but I have found it difficult to pull the tank out (and reinstall it) without contacting the pump and potentially damaging that seal.    I'd advise you to remove the L bracket and pull it out still bolted on the tank.   Unfortunately, you have to come from the front of the core support to remove the bolt for the L bracket, but it isn't too hard to get to.  

Some photos to show what I mean:

full

With this next one, you can see how the pump would contact the bracket when you remove the tank from the car.   

full

Ok now I have a new problem, the low fluid sensor gasket is bad and the reservoir now leaks. Does anyone know of a replacement gasket? I know you cannot use sealer on this kind of plastic. Here's a pic of what it looks like. I have found some for an Audi.

s-l225.webp

JB weld water weld, that is how I fixed the last one I did.    It's been holding for a year now.   For the pump seal, I was able to use vacuum grease around the seal but vacuum grease wouldn't do the trick with the float penetration.