#1 GSRVR

GSRVR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:41 AM

Hi all,

Thought I'd throw up some pics of the semi-digital dash we just converted yesterday into my '88 GSR-VR. The cluster came from an early 1982-1984 jap import model, which appears to have a few minor visual differences as seen in comparison to the Technica version.

To begin with, I sourced a donor cluster loom from another '86+ model with the later connectors, only 2 would need to be used (to be specific, the 2 that connect back into the body loom). A blue 15-pin & a white 12-pin connector, this was the pin count on the jap models at least.

Posted Image

Comparing both new & old connectors side by side to notice that majority of the wiring matches up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

All wired in. As seen there is 6 wires left over unused with no where to go coming from the clusters loom - a solid purple, green & orange, red with blue & 2 thicker gauge wires a solid white & white with black (which I believe are for the amp meter) Despite these few not being connected, everything works as it should aside from a few of the warning lights (park brake, seat belt, low fuel & what appears to be a blown bulb light) which I will work out in time to come.

Posted Image

After reconnecting & hoping for the best, a turn of the key delivered the right news.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was able to take it for a test run today & sure enough everything is working flawlessly. The RPM & boost gauge put on a real show that I can't wait to take out for a night drive to see in action. The 3 connected gauges also functioned & read as they should also, as well as the indicator & high beam lights. The warning lights in the upper corner that I mentioned earlier I have 4 functioning out of the 8 which likely adds up to being the 4 wires which were left untouched. I have an '84 FSM on it's way from the US to hopefully rectify this.

A big thanks goes out to another fellow starquest owner who shared some insight during the process & the realization of how simple this conversion actually is despite the limited information out there.

Edited by CordiaGSR, 11 November 2016 - 06:51 AM.

|1988 RHD Mitsubishi Starion GSR-VR|

#2 NotStock88

NotStock88

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:33 AM

Good job. Thats pretty cool looking!
NOOB

#3 scott87star

scott87star

Technically Challenged, Daily.

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts
  • Interests:Freezing, thawing, thunderstorms and constant wind.

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:52 AM

I like the boost gauge!
Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

I can upgrade your Fuel Injection Pro firmware

Performance Coatings!  Pistons, manifolds, bearings and more!

Now a graduate of EFI University!  www.efi101.com

ECU Vendor link:  http://www.starquest...howtopic=137426

#4 T-Harps

T-Harps

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:18 PM

Looks good! I will be doing this soon with the full digital dash. For the speedometer signal did you just need the part the screws out (by hand) of the transmission's tail? I have a complete parts car and want to get any digital specific parts I can before its gone!

#5 GSRVR

GSRVR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:54 AM

View PostNotStock88, on 11 November 2016 - 08:33 AM, said:

Good job. Thats pretty cool looking!

Thanks, it's definitely one of the easier jobs that I've had to do on this car so far!

View Postscott87star, on 11 November 2016 - 08:52 AM, said:

I like the boost gauge!

Both that & the climbing RPM meter put on a good light show under boost!  

View PostT-Harps, on 11 November 2016 - 01:18 PM, said:

Looks good! I will be doing this soon with the full digital dash. For the speedometer signal did you just need the part the screws out (by hand) of the transmission's tail? I have a complete parts car and want to get any digital specific parts I can before its gone!

The existing speedometer cable can still be used & plugs into the cluster just the same as the analogue to get the signal, lucky enough nothing digital specific for this cluster. Be sure to post your full digital dash conversion when the time comes, would love to see!
|1988 RHD Mitsubishi Starion GSR-VR|

#6 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:02 AM

cool!! i luv that style cluster above all starquests. I have two of 'em
I'm doing a 2.0L sohc staz motor swap into corolla ae86 levin hatch in the not too distant future
my favourite motor, favourite car.... I must have the digi cluster, to match

#7 damageinc86

damageinc86

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:07 PM

Are you able to re-post the photos?  It seems like they have disappeared from the post.  Looking to do this, but can't get concrete info on it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users