Scribe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Drag racing and Endurance racing
  • Model:Starion

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:32 PM

Hey guys,

As some of you may know, I'm in the process of building a Starion for road racing in Chumpcar.  In Chumpcar, you are allowed to replace the OEM struts/dampers with performance struts/dampers as long as they are within 2X of the cost of OEM replacements.  The tricky part is that we can not use coil-overs or an adjustable damper without either taking a large point hit or being automatically bumped to the EC class which is not counted in the overall results.  I was wondering if you guys can point me in the direction of replacement struts or strut inserts that you have used or found on the market.  So far all I can find is front GR-2's, front MK1's, rear MK1 inserts, and the TEP rear strut inserts.

For springs, Chumpcar allows teams to replace them with aftermarket springs as long as they are within a certain dimensional tolerance of the stock springs.  I was also wondering if you guys could help me with spring options as well.  So far I have only found the Eibach Pro kit and the MK1's.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Scribe, 14 June 2017 - 12:33 PM.

Brian a.k.a. Scribe
ScribeWorks Motorsport
Facebook Page
ChumpCar Forum Build Thread
Starquestclub Build Thread

Posted Image

#2 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,619 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:36 PM

I don't know if this falls within the rules for you but I will find you a link for modifying the stock strut housing and using MR2 inserts and making your own sleeve over hats.

I'll update this post with the link.

EDIT: Ok so... this information is kinda spread out all over the place. Google "starquestclub mr2 inserts" and start reading.

Edited by speedyquest, 14 June 2017 - 12:45 PM.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#3 Scribe

Scribe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:34 PM

View Postspeedyquest, on 14 June 2017 - 12:36 PM, said:

I don't know if this falls within the rules for you but I will find you a link for modifying the stock strut housing and using MR2 inserts and making your own sleeve over hats.

I'll update this post with the link.

EDIT: Ok so... this information is kinda spread out all over the place. Google "starquestclub mr2 inserts" and start reading.

Everything I found on that conversion so far either has broken links or pictures that are no longer available.  If anyone can give me part numbers for the strut inserts and pictures of the finished product, I'm sure we could figure it out.  Our fallback plan is to cut open the front and rear struts and get dimensions that we can take to Bilstein so they can help us pick something from their catalog of inserts, but if someone already knows of something that works it will save us the time and effort.

Edited by Scribe, 14 June 2017 - 01:34 PM.

Brian a.k.a. Scribe
ScribeWorks Motorsport
Facebook Page

Posted Image

#4 Bradrock

Bradrock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Interests:Guns, metal working, guns, wrenching, guns,wood working, Gold mining, guns & cool cars.

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:43 PM

Sorry to interject;
But where did you find Eibach springs? They seem to be unobtainium now days.

Thanks,  Brad
Run's with scizzor's

#5 Scribe

Scribe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:50 PM

View PostBradrock, on 14 June 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

Sorry to interject;
But where did you find Eibach springs? They seem to be unobtainium now days.

Thanks,  Brad

I guess a better wording is that I saw they existed, but I didn't check on availability.
Brian a.k.a. Scribe
ScribeWorks Motorsport
Facebook Page

Posted Image

#6 Bradrock

Bradrock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Interests:Guns, metal working, guns, wrenching, guns,wood working, Gold mining, guns & cool cars.

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

Contact them & talk about your project & how you will put their name on your car,if they do another run of springs for us.

Same with ADDCO sway bars.

Please

Edited by Bradrock, 14 June 2017 - 02:22 PM.

Run's with scizzor's

#7 nosaki faki

nosaki faki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:12 AM

I would suggest just going straight to Bilstein for the inserts, When I did the MR2 conversion I was poor so I did it myself (I am a fitter machinist)
The easiest way to explain  it is that you cut the threaded end off the strut housing, cut it to the length of the MR2 strut and screw cut a new thread.
This also allows for some extra suspension travel. It was a long time ago but I think the inserts were SW20 fronts.
If I were to do it again I would use Billies as they can be re valved  and re built.
I am sure they came with a threaded sleeve and top nut which saves the hassle of internal thread cutting, just cut to length weld in the sleeve and you are done.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Scribeworks, chumpcar, starion, strut, spring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users