FLATNESS RULEZ

#22 jmswltn

jmswltn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:36 AM

any updates on stopping ability and daily driving?

#23 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:25 AM

I'll be updating this in a few days. As of tonight I should have it out on the road if everything goes well. My initial feelings on the setup is that it works very well and I have no complaints. But that was a very short 6 block drive so wait until I get a few miles on it.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#24 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Interests:Family, Strength Sports, Starquests, Brewing beer and Land Rovers.

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:14 AM

Any updates on performance?
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (Daily Driver)
2002 Discovery II SE7 (Wife's progeny wagon and tow vehicle)

Second place is S*** place , eh.  - Stéphane Peterhansel

#25 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:24 AM

Is this the factory proportioning valve?

Posted Image
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=

#26 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:32 AM

Yes I believe it is.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

#27 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:35 AM

It's usually in the rear of the vehicle right?  That's why I asked.
Canterbury, CT

#28 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:32 PM

I thought I had posted my impressions of it in here but apparently I didn't. Sorry about that, here is what I wrote about it in my build thread.

The manual brake conversion is nice and normal driving its awesome. I have not felt like it took too much effort to stop the car and I don't regret switching in the least. A small caveat though, I don't know what the car is like in an emergency stopping situation yet and that is something I definitely need to test. I also think that at some point I may adjust the pedal ratio when I tear the dash out of the car. Not because I feel its a necessity but because I understand that I am using the stock ratio (4/1) that was intended for power brakes and it would make me feel better to know I have it closer to what it would normally be engineered to be (7/1). More info on that later.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

#29 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:05 AM

I've just ordered all the stuff I need to redo my manual brakes in a way that I'm happy with. So I'll be updating this when I finish in a few days. I just wasn't happy with the cleanliness and aesthetics of how I installed this. Also I'll be adding a hydraulic e-brake setup.

Edited by speedyquest, 12 July 2016 - 09:06 AM.

Posted Image

#30 jmswltn

jmswltn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:03 AM

View Postspeedyquest, on 12 July 2016 - 09:05 AM, said:

I'll be adding a hydraulic e-brake setup.

Looking forward to seeing how you put this together. What are you doing to change the ratio?

#31 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:26 AM

@jmswltn: The pedal ratio?  I am just drilling a new hole location for the pedal "arm" to make it closer to the 7/1 ratio manual brake cars typically come with as opposed to our 4/1.

Posted Image

#32 jmswltn

jmswltn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:45 PM

I was more referring to the front to back bias with the ebrake installed

#33 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:43 AM

Oh I see. I have a Wildwood proportional valve between the front and rear brakes. Ill post pictures tomorrow so you can see it.

Posted Image

#34 TheDemon

TheDemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Wrenching, Gaming, cars

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:37 PM

you forgot to update this man
- The Demon
89 Black Conquest TSI SHP 5-speed - Restoration
97 Red Talon ESi - RIP

#35 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 09:06 PM

Ugh, yea I'll do that.

Posted Image

#36 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 09:52 PM

Here are two pictures of how the system ended up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#37 Bradrock

Bradrock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Interests:Guns, metal working, guns, wrenching, guns,wood working, Gold mining, guns & cool cars.

Posted 05 November 2016 - 10:02 PM

So, how much torque does it take to activate the e brake? :D
Run's with scizzor's

#38 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 10:14 PM

Haha ohhhh id sayyyy 100 or so?!

Posted Image

#39 TheDemon

TheDemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Wrenching, Gaming, cars

Posted 05 November 2016 - 10:55 PM

View PostBradrock, on 05 November 2016 - 10:02 PM, said:

So, how much torque does it take to activate the e brake? :D
you beat me to it... i saw that and thought that aint no handle bar... thats the bottom of a torque wrench :D :D

i like your setup, it looks super clean and minimalistic... i dont plan on running a hydro e-brake yet though so would i just route it to the factory splitter valve? and what did you do to your pedal for this?
- The Demon
89 Black Conquest TSI SHP 5-speed - Restoration
97 Red Talon ESi - RIP

#40 Bradrock

Bradrock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Interests:Guns, metal working, guns, wrenching, guns,wood working, Gold mining, guns & cool cars.

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:43 AM

It's good to know that the manual brakes seem fine for stopping power. If I go that route, I think I might feel safer with a dual bowl master cylinder for daily driver. I've experienced the fun and excitement of a burst brake line before. :D
Run's with scizzor's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users