West coast custom 6.5" speaker kit

j.quest

Hey,where I live in NY, Best buy has a WCC 6.5" convertible speaker kit ,which includes tweeters,crossovers,and speaker insulation. it retailed 4 $199.95,now its marked down 2 $ 69.95, I think the speakers r made by Diamond. I just wonder if they would fit in the hatch (rear), I just want 2 use the 6.5s in the hatch not the tweeters. What do u guys think ? is it worth the price ? would they fit ,without modifications ? thanx

I called up WCC today,and found out that they are definetely Diamond speakers ,tweeters and crossovers in the kit.

Did you happen to ask Ish how much he'd charge to reupholster our seats? :) I'd dig that!

-N8

I've been looking at speakers. on crutchfield they have the following, so if you could find out what model they are it could be a good deal. I haven't tried the bigger size or this brand speaker yet. would like to know if the larger speakers install with out butchering the door panel, C300

Diamond Audio D663A

6-1/2" 2-way convertible speaker system with aluminum tweeters, Your price $349.99

I bet even tho they're Diamonds, they're still made overseas, or somehow are lower quality. They'd have to be for a $60 price tag. Lots of brands do it. Sony's Xplode products are like that. Lots of "entry level" car audio stuff is.

I remember back in the day when I was working in car audio, Rockford Fosgate wanted to get in on the head unit game instead of just being speakers and amps. They did it wrong and got Audiovox to make their head units (or maybe it was Blaupunkt). They didn't resell an already existing Audiovox deck, they created another, and they were worse quality than most of the rest of the Audiovox stuff made at the time. Over half of the RF head units we sold came back defective, and more than 25% of them were defective out of the box.By the next year, RF quit selling decks.

Diamond may have subbed the entry level stuff out like Rockford did back in the day.

Really, at $60, you probably can't go wrong, but those speakers may not be as high end as one might expect.

Edited by Burton

I will try and get a part # on the speakers. I think that this box set was probably packaged as a XMAS gift ,and now its a clearance item. Funny that u mentioned Audiovox,they are 2 miles away from me. and they manufacture an inferior product. I was going to work for them,they paid peanuts and they are a multimillionaire ,if not billion dollar co.

checked the 6.5 speakers,and there was no part # on them. The price on this kit varies from city to city, I was in a more affluent city ,today, where Best buy wanted $ 139.99, last week ,I was at a Best buy,that was in a rural area,and they wanted $59.99 for them.

I just went with 6.5" Kicker KS650 front and rear from best buy. I love them. You can probably find them for pretty cheap since that is their old model, which is half the reason I bought mine, they were on sale!

But I did do some modding to make them fit. The speakers are no longer hidden behind the stock grills. Instead I cut out the grill and reinforced the rear shelf to mount the speaker and new grill on top of the shelf. Same thing with the doors. Just cut the old grill insert out, reinforce the mounting surface and screw new speaker and grill in place.

i'm still trying to deside on speakers. i was set till a friend at work tryed to convert me over to focal. man they sound good, wow ! not cheap though. can get good alpines for that money...

also don't no if i want the speakers seen, as i'm trying to fix n buy all the peices that were busted and missing when i got the car. guessing the system was stolen out da car

Edited by C300

Focal is good stuff. I'm a MB Quart guy myself.

Usually with car audio stuff, you get what you pay for. It used to be you picked a good known name and roll with it, and most prices were compareable- for high end stuff, anyway. The cheap stuff was usually a completely different brand. The high dollar stuff was always good, and even the cheap brands had some quality products from time to time.

Now days, the high end manufacturers have gotten into carrying some entry level equipment so as not to lose sales to the cheaper brands. The bad thing is, usually their entry level stuff is the same quality as the cheap brands, because they slap their name on some off brand stuff, yet thier prices are higher than the cheap brands. If you see a top name brand for a price that seems too good to be true, it usually is. It's either cheaper entry level stuff, refurbed, or discontinued.

Just make sure to research whatever models you are interested in to make sure their design and production is quality, and you'll be good

Edited by Burton

For $60 I wouldn't expect much.

I bet even tho they're Diamonds, they're still made overseas, or somehow are lower quality. They'd have to be for a $60 price tag. Lots of brands do it. Sony's Xplode products are like that. Lots of "entry level" car audio stuff is.

I remember back in the day when I was working in car audio, Rockford Fosgate wanted to get in on the head unit game instead of just being speakers and amps. They did it wrong and got Audiovox to make their head units (or maybe it was Blaupunkt). They didn't resell an already existing Audiovox deck, they created another, and they were worse quality than most of the rest of the Audiovox stuff made at the time. Over half of the RF head units we sold came back defective, and more than 25% of them were defective out of the box.By the next year, RF quit selling decks.

Diamond may have subbed the entry level stuff out like Rockford did back in the day.

Really, at $60, you probably can't go wrong, but those speakers may not be as high end as one might expect.

Would you say the same for RF's entry into the mass-market speaker production world (Best Buy, etc)??

I have their original gold-series end cap 60.2 amps and 2 of their 12" Punch subs circa 97-98 before they sold em in mass. That setup was pretty stout in my Daytona, but the sealed box doesn't fit in the Starion. What's your take on their value/performance now? I'd like to build/get a box for them for the Starion eventually.

• Like 1

I think RF still does pretty good with amps and subs, but I'm not sure that they are as top notch as they were back in the mid to late 90's. A little trivia..... A head designer from RF left and went to MTX around 95. Because of that late 90's, early 2000's MTX stuff was super stout but sold at a low price point.