Installing a mechanical boost gauge in the stock location.

Caliber308

First, you need to know how to remove the meter hood and gauge assembly. If you do not have a FSM, you will need to go here: www.starquestgarage.com download the fsm for the 1988. Then go to section 8 pages 166 and 168. O.K. Lets get started, when you remove the meter hood and gauge assembly be careful of the printed circuit plastic with the copper ribbons on the back of the meter case. You will need a dremel tool to widen the plastic to fit the brass connector. I drilled a small hole in the back of the gauge assembly to pass the plastic line through. Go to where the speedo cable goes through the firewall, you will see a grommet, punch a hole big enough to run the plastic hose through. Hook the white wire from the new boost gauge to a green / white wire.. pick one, it doesn't matter and ground the black one. So that part is done. Reinstall the gauge assembly and meter hood, here is a word of caution!!!!! Space the meter glass away from the gauge assembly a little bit, don't and you are going to crack the plastic because the new boost gauge sticks out a bit.

Hook up under the hood: I like to cover the plastic hose with vacuum hose because of the heat under the hood. Now the vacuum hook up. You will want to splice the hose under the row of three vacuum ports on the throttle body. Why? You want the lowest source of vacuum, for the most accurate reading on your boost gauge. Go to the auto parts store and pick up a t or y vacuum hose connector, hook up the plastic hose and two ends of the vacuum hose you spliced. YOUR DONE!!! see, it wasn't that hard ☺️

I used a Autometer 2601 boost/vacuum gauge because it fits in the stock location. Stay tuned for more goodies.

Good luck,

Bill

Edited by Caliber308