Mech

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,260 posts
  • Interests:Starquests
  • Model:Other

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:38 PM

So having searched extensively in this section, im still not getting a clear picture here as most threads are outdated with links and pics that are not working.

From what I have read, D2 has discontinued coilover production for starion and are NLA. However I see them for sale on Ebay. Have they started making them again? Or are these the last remaining?

If they are available, can someone make a recommendation with a link, as to exactly where I should buy them from (ebay seller?)  Also, do the coilovers come with camber plates? Or do I have to buy those separately? If so, which ones are compatible, and where should i buy them from?

It appears that rear camber plates are not available? Is this due to the rear chassis frame strut mount opening not being large enough, like the fronts? And the only option is to cut the frame and weld in a slotted camber plate, like importwarrior shows in the pinned thread?  

Currently the car has rear pillowball top mounts that have 3 different(holes) adjustments on it. But you have to lower or remove the strut assembly, remove it, and re-install to adjust camber. A set it and forget it setup.

#2 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,203 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:53 PM

I think your overthinking it a bit on whether they are available and who to buy them from. I'd suggest you go on Ebay, search for them, pick a seller who has them for a reasonable price (around $1,000) and has a good feedback score, and buy them. As for the camber plates they will come with adjustable plates in the front but not the rear. I'm not sure why they opted to do it that way but what I did was purchase a set of rear plates seperately and use those.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#3 Mech

Mech

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:26 PM

View Postspeedyquest, on 10 March 2019 - 10:53 PM, said:

I think your overthinking it a bit on whether they are available and who to buy them from. I'd suggest you go on Ebay, search for them, pick a seller who has them for a reasonable price (around $1,000) and has a good feedback score, and buy them. As for the camber plates they will come with adjustable plates in the front but not the rear. I'm not sure why they opted to do it that way but what I did was purchase a set of rear plates seperately and use those.

Are you running d2's?  Which rear plates did you buy?

#4 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,203 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:41 PM

Yessir I am. I ended up purchasing the Mookeeh rear adjustable pillowball ones.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#5 Skippy

Skippy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 22 March 2019 - 03:55 PM

Legion Motorsports is doing coilovers for about $700 if I am not mistaken.

#6 dmdvzla

dmdvzla

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Interests:CARS,BIKES, AIRPLANES, BOATS...
    MY PROFESSION... FRIENDS AND FAMILY

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:19 AM

View PostMech, on 10 March 2019 - 10:38 PM, said:

So having searched extensively in this section, im still not getting a clear picture here as most threads are outdated with links and pics that are not working.

From what I have read, D2 has discontinued coilover production for starion and are NLA. However I see them for sale on Ebay. Have they started making them again? Or are these the last remaining?

If they are available, can someone make a recommendation with a link, as to exactly where I should buy them from (ebay seller?)  Also, do the coilovers come with camber plates? Or do I have to buy those separately? If so, which ones are compatible, and where should i buy them from?

It appears that rear camber plates are not available? Is this due to the rear chassis frame strut mount opening not being large enough, like the fronts? And the only option is to cut the frame and weld in a slotted camber plate, like importwarrior shows in the pinned thread?  

Currently the car has rear pillowball top mounts that have 3 different(holes) adjustments on it. But you have to lower or remove the strut assembly, remove it, and re-install to adjust camber. A set it and forget it setup.

I have the same dilemma....
I am currently considering  2 alternatives: either go with coilovers or rebuild the stock suspension with new inserts...
The coilover alternative is not too clear to me. I still do not know if D2's are available and if they are better than LEGION or other brands....

#7 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Interests:Family, Strength Sports, Starquests, and Brewing Belgian Ale.

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:13 PM

I'd like to know how the Legion Motorsport struts are holding up, they seem to have a lot of nice stuff but don't want to make a $700 mistake.
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=
2001 BMW 740iL - My Daily
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1  To tow the two hay burners
2010 Charger R/T  daily driver

Second place is S*** place , eh.  - Stéphane Peterhansel

#8 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,313 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 19 April 2019 - 05:13 AM

so far all I have seen is good remarks on Legion Motorsport coil overs.

I have D2's and they are great !

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

#9 BC_99

BC_99

Plays in traffic

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:13 AM

View Postdmdvzla, on 18 April 2019 - 11:19 AM, said:

I have the same dilemma....
I am currently considering  2 alternatives: either go with coilovers or rebuild the stock suspension with new inserts...
The coilover alternative is not too clear to me. I still do not know if D2's are available and if they are better than LEGION or other brands....

D2s are awesome! However, they change the ride quality dramatically. It will not feel like the same car.

I can’t speak to the ride quality of legion coilovers. I’ve not been in a car with a set.

BC
Steering coupler replacement U-Joints are available here...
http://www.starquest...howtopic=145280

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#10 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:33 AM

Its completely different feel and ride from stock set up regardless which coilovers you go with. Definitely sports car feel and not that spongy Cadillac marshmallow ride.

#11 dmdvzla

dmdvzla

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:54 AM

View PostBC_99, on 19 April 2019 - 06:13 AM, said:

D2s are awesome! However, they change the ride quality dramatically. It will not feel like the same car.

I canít speak to the ride quality of legion coilovers. Iíve not been in a car with a set.

BC

Would you care to describe how it changes the ride quality drastically?

#12 dmdvzla

dmdvzla

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:56 AM

Regardless of the coilover brand, do all of them require to use, cut and weld the front spindles onto the new coilover housing?

#13 dmdvzla

dmdvzla

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:56 AM

Regardless of the coilover brand, do all of them require to use, cut and weld the front spindles onto the new coilover housing?

#14 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:58 AM

D2s and Legion  for sure. There are some members working on no welding set up conversion s14 or something like that

Edited by croquest87, 19 April 2019 - 07:33 AM.

#15 MotoCam360

MotoCam360

Motocam360

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:SQ, SY/TY, BMW, electronics, motorcycles, snowbikes

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:03 PM

View Postdmdvzla, on 19 April 2019 - 06:56 AM, said:

cutting and welding factory SQ spindles to D2 or Legion needs to be done by somebody with good equipment and skills!  I have several sets of D2s and they are great and high quality, but I do not prefer to daily drive my car with D2.  Maybe that's the road quality around my place, or maybe I'm old.... I don't know but the ride can be stiff and a little bouncy, but the car does handle like a go-cart which is awesome.

I just purchased a set of Legion and I'm doing the S13/S14 conversion specifically because the spindles bolt right up (no welding because they are also S13 or S14 spindles) and the 5 lug hub also has the wheel bearing already integrated, which is super clean.

Isaiah from Legion says his coil-overs are going to be "softer" than D2, so I think that might be an advantage in my situation, while hard core track guys would consider that a major disadvantage.  So take this insight and apply it to your situation accordingly
Tim

My Feedback Link
'87 Red 5spd | '87 Atlantic Blue 5spd | '88 Yellow auto | '88 Fiji Auto | '89 Fiji auto
Posted Image
  New/Used SQ parts can be found on Ebay under "MotoCam360"

#16 Mech

Mech

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:37 AM

Just spoke with D2 and the guy said that the coilovers for our cars are not being discontinued and that he has more coming in.

I bought mine direct from JM auto racing.

#17 Mech

Mech

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:40 AM

View Postspeedyquest, on 10 March 2019 - 11:41 PM, said:

Yessir I am. I ended up purchasing the Mookeeh rear adjustable pillowball ones.

Where did you find them? I looked at his ebay page and searched online and could not find them. I even sent him a message a few days ago but he has not replied.

#18 Mech

Mech

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:10 PM

I am going to find some front spindles so i can have the fronts ready to assemble on the car.  I was thinking of putting new front wheel bearings while I am at it, even if they don't need replacing. Has anyone done this on their D2 install?  and where have been people been buying the bearings?

#19 BC_99

BC_99

Plays in traffic

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 01:14 PM

View Postdmdvzla, on 19 April 2019 - 06:54 AM, said:

Would you care to describe how it changes the ride quality drastically?

Much stiffer, even at the softest settings. Stability is incredible compared to the stock stuff. All in all, the best suspension option is the D2s. I have a set of the legions in my shop. Im setting them up for a local SQ buddy. They are ok, but the D2s are a better quality setup.

BC
Steering coupler replacement U-Joints are available here...
http://www.starquest...howtopic=145280

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#20 PSiTSi

PSiTSi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:Endoscopy Repair Tech.

Hockey, DSM's, 3S's and Starquest's.

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:41 PM

View PostMech, on 02 August 2019 - 12:10 PM, said:

I am going to find some front spindles so i can have the fronts ready to assemble on the car.  I was thinking of putting new front wheel bearings while I am at it, even if they don't need replacing. Has anyone done this on their D2 install?  and where have been people been buying the bearings?

I just did this. Rockauto is where I bought my parts. New wheel bearings, oil seals, tie rods, ball joints etc.
2009 Pontiac G8 - 1989 Jeep Comanche - 1988 Chrysler Conquest TSi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users