Shooting Movie with 89 CONQUEST. Seeking EXPERT Consultant (Must have 555hp+)

iFREAKNiK

So here's what we have. . . .

89, 5 speed red Chrysler Conquest

Megasquirt 2, precision MPI

Nitrous kit (wet), oil pump

engine overhaul kit

aftermarket inercooler

fuel pressure regulator

wiesco pistons

& etc.

Our movie is a indie film regarding street racing and is centered around the Conquest. Seeking a technical consultant for our sponsored shop as a build support. The shop has many reservation about the engines ability to create 555+hp (they typically just deal with 2JZ's), I assured them that the G54B is more then capable of power. Don't make me look bad.

If you CURRENTLY OWN a 89 StarQuest with a MPI CONVERSION running a DIY MegaSquirt 2.0, I would like to speak with you! Nitrous guys are a plus, place STARQUEST in the subject of the email and include this link. It helps us remember as you can imagine the inbox gets crowded.

Movie@AtlantaLegend.com

post-24208-0-58481600-1354332358_thumb.jpg

post-24208-0-73166600-1354332373_thumb.jpg

If you have time to get your head sent out for porting, that and bigger valves would really help your cause if not a necessity. PM if interested in more info and a lead on that. I just had mine done and will be posting the flow #s Monday. Significant gains to be had. And yes, contact those guys mentioned.

Why the 555 hp # for a movie application? Seems like a pretty arbitrary dyno #. Those silly Fast & Furious movie cars are dog slow by comparison to what a 350-400hp Starion would do.

If you have time to get your head sent out for porting, that and bigger valves would really help your cause if not a necessity. PM if interested in more info and a lead on that. I just had mine done and will be posting the flow #s Monday. Significant gains to be had. And yes, contact those guys mentioned.

Why the 555 hp # for a movie application? Seems like a pretty arbitrary dyno #. Those silly Fast & Furious movie cars are dog slow by comparison to what a 350-400hp Starion would do.

X2 - a 300whp quest should be more than enough

Thanks for the insight, I have a shop that we are working with so I'll leave it up to them for figuring out what is needed. The 555 is goal as many of the guys in Atlanta that are really running are doing so in the 5-7oohp range. Need to be able to compete because the film is based on a true story.

Seriously the F&F cars and nearly every other movies car you have ever seen are slow. Only a few of the cars were anything close to real and those were only used for closeup shots and stills. Real fast cars break down and fast moving cars are hard to get good shots on. Most of the cars you see in the films are just dressed up beaters with solid powertrains. Then they shoot the cars moving pretty slowly and speed up the video and add sound. It makes way more sense to have a reliable car as any mechanical issue will mean having stars and extras sitting on their thumbs wasting time and money rather than finishing scenes. Don't worry about how fast the car is, make sure it runs well and reliably. Don't get bogged down in car stuff if you want to make a movie.

Remember, movie making is the art of lying on film. If you want the car to have 555Hp, then say it has it in the movie and be done with it. It can make less power than stock in real life.

Edited by Cloud81918

I was doing 300+ on the TBI setup, been there and done that. These guys out here are seriously running.

You will need to swap in a trans and rear diff from a different vehicle to handle the power you are looking to make. The stock trans/diff is strong but not strong enough.

We're shooting the film with real (fast) cars. The movie tricks are being left in Hollywood on this project. Real cars, no bullstinky, f*** the shot - straight race, that' just how we roll :-)

Seriously the F&F cars and nearly every other movies car you have ever seen are tail slow. Only a few of the cars were anything close to real and those were ontl used for closeup shots and stills. Real fast cars break down and fast moving cars are hard to get good shots on. Most of the cars you see in the films are just dressed up beaters with solid powertrains. Then they shoot the cars moving pretty slowly and speed up the video and add sound. It makes way more sense to have a reliable car as any mechanical issue will mean having stars and extras sitting on their thumbs wasting time and money rather than finishing scenes. Don't worry about how fast the car is, make sure it runs well and reliably. Don't get bogged down in car stuff if you want to make a movie.

Every now & then a newbie jumps on here and spouts about wanting 500hp talking of endless cash and little basic knowledge of cars and how a build really works. They never pan out, so some don't want to waste time with these kinds of new members.

Stock trans isn't reliable at all around 300hp for the majority. A few guys will say theirs has held up, which others blow em in a day at ~300. Keep in mind, these cars are built for stock 170ish. Do a TON of reading on the FAQs of this site and the various modification posts. Also read the Feedback Forum before throwing $$ around or asking veteran members here to repeat themselves for the hundredth time (literally for some).

Yeah you will do a trans swap end of story if you are shooting for 500+whp

Our engines tend to make relatively high torque for horsepower because of the setup (or most people choking the turbine).

I am curious about your said claim on making 300+whp on a TBI setup? It has been done and isn't particularly hard but I am curious of the mods you used to accomplish this?

We're shooting the film with real (fast) cars. The movie tricks are being left in Hollywood on this project. Real cars, no bullstinky, f*** the shot - straight race, that' just how we roll :-)

They don't do it too be fake, they do it that way because doing it for real means you don't end up with a the film quality you need and you don't finish the movie. Drag cars are not carnival rides. They aren't appliances. They can't make hard runs all day long so you can get takes. Good luck though.