Long Story short, I bought a used TPS off of a member here and he claimed it "sweep tested great!" Well, guess what, the needle jumped all over the place.
So I thought instead of throwing $25 in the trash I'll cut it apart and see what it looks like and find out how they work. And here's what I did to fix it.
- I took a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel and went about 3/16" of an inch behind the wires, and was careful to only cut through the thin plastic housing.
- Pulled the halves apart, carefully!
- I cleaned the 'circuit' (black and green) surface of the carbon deposits and Q-Tipped the "fingers" of the other half. Be careful not to pull or bend the brushes they break off easily
- I also took the liberty of fixing those pesky broken wires by de-soldering and prying the brass clips up/cutting and re-stripping the wires, then I further strengthened them by adding some heat-shrink tubing where they penetrate the housing. Afterward I copied Mitsu and coated the whole section with JB. I'm assuming they used a similar product because it's a real chore carefully chipping it off.
- I then reinstalled the 'circuit piece' back into the housing using very little JB Weld around the outer edge to hold it in place (Be mindful not to get ANY on the face of the circuit board), You'll find there is a flat spot on the 'circuit piece' so it's impossible to put it back incorrectly
- Now, I know you're all gonna laugh at me here but...) I took a Mountain Dew bottle cap, drilled 3 holes in it, cut slots for the wires to slide into it and filled the whole inside of the cap with JB. Then I adhered the cap to the rear and let it set up really good... this allows it to totally seal all of the wiring from the elements (wiping off the excess and trying to make the cob-job look semi professional!)
I'm sure if you guys look around you can find something that may be aesthetically better than a bottle cap, but believe it or not it make holding and moving the TPS during a reset a lot easier with the grippies. I was just playing around to see if it would work, and by George it works like a champ. So if you can solder and you have $5.00 for some JB Weld (Kwik Set)
Long story short, it didn't sweep test at first, now it sweeps great! And hit's 5.0 volts so I must've done something right!
*Please note, I assume no responsibility if you damage the one and only TPS off of your car. If you're feeling froggy and you want to "try" this repair, I highly recommend you pick up a junk TPS from the For Sale boards... trust me they aren't that hard to locate
Thanks for reading this and please let me know if this works for you, or if this helps you at all, You guys always go out of your way to assist me, so I can finally contribute something to the community Besides the decals and overlays.