#1 Sharpshifter

Sharpshifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Vintage Electronics, Physics, Classic cars
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:18 PM

I kept seeing this car on the local craigslist for $800, listed as an 83, and never really thought twice about it, especially because of the dented rear quarter. I'll give the seller credit for not hiding that in the listing. This morning I got a bug and googled 84 Starions to see what the interiors were like, and came across a thread in the Bazaar discussing the very listing- when I saw that someone had spoken to the seller and he was down quite a bit on the price I decided to call him and go get it, taking a big chance. Well...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cleaned up nice with a pressure wash! It was definitely garage kept- the seller says it sat out in the field after he bought it almost two years ago. There's no way the dash would have lasted in the sun any longer. I'm torn. It will be a great parts car... working on freeing up the motor with some Marvel as I type this. A restoration? A long shot, but not impossible.

Anyway, mainly posting to let people know this one was saved from the junk yard. :)

Edited by Sharpshifter, 29 May 2016 - 11:20 PM.

Veteran of the Starion Wars

#2 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:45 PM

Lol.  I've been reading the thread about this car and the discussions about it.   Good job picking it up.

#3 cyberquest

cyberquest

Power Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:02 AM

NICE !!!

I really wanted to see this car find a home, shes a little rough around the edges but i think she can live on. doesnt have to be a show car just something to cruise around in and have fun.

your heater controls are different then my 84, wonder if thats just the difference between the starion and the conquest. i have seen ones like mine before but i dont think i have seen ones like yours.
2005 Acura RL SH-AWD
Posted Image
Professor Quest's S.O.S (save our starquest) Manuals: http://starquest.i-x...wforum.php?f=12
E.T. and Dyno Database: http://www.sqperformance.com/

#4 Sharpshifter

Sharpshifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:32 AM

Huh, that's funny because I was noticing the difference in the heater control panel while I was reading through your thread. Is yours "Auto A/C?" Maybe the differences are the pushbuttons for the air diverter and computer/solenoid operation vs manual sliders?

#5 cyberquest

cyberquest

Power Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:39 AM

mine just has a small button to push for a/c. mine seems like a more basic setup then yours, pretty primitive...lol. i like it,  nice and simple.
Posted Image

Edited by cyberquest, 30 May 2016 - 01:41 AM.

2005 Acura RL SH-AWD
Posted Image
Professor Quest's S.O.S (save our starquest) Manuals: http://starquest.i-x...wforum.php?f=12

#6 nosaki faki

nosaki faki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:14 AM

my 84 LE had the push button controls like this one.
In behind there is heaps of hoses, I assume they are Vacuum operated switches.

#7 cyberquest

cyberquest

Power Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:05 AM

they seem to have many variations to the flattys.

here is one i had with the digital one.
Posted Image

a technica i had also had the digital controls.
Posted Image

on the red flatty i had it had the pocket where the auto seat belt releases are on widebodys and had a square mirror switch.
Posted Image

the 84 i have now has window switches and a round mirror switch in that spot with just a small pocket just big enough your cell phone can rest in there.
Posted Image

thats the other thing i like about flattys, park a few of them together and each one will be different in some way. some had cloth some had leather, some had wings and some didnt, the center console pieces are different in some models, the heater controls were different, some came with different side moldings and other had none. there were also 4 different wheel options for the flattys. my 84 now doesnt have rear defrost or a rear wiper motor but the other ones i owned did, the list seems to go on and on with the differences they had.

once they made the widebody it seems they lost all creativity with the rest of the car because 95% of them were exactly alike. in 87 the went from manual belts to auto and in 88 they changed the seats and added a SHP option and that were the only changes they made (cosmetically)

so if you wanna be unique buy a flatty, if you want to be like everyone else buy a widebody.....lol.

Edited by cyberquest, 30 May 2016 - 08:10 AM.

2005 Acura RL SH-AWD
Posted Image

#8 pcristquester

pcristquester

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, Starquests and other unique cars. IPA and IIPA

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:26 AM

It is cool that the flatty' seem to be more unique between each other.

As far as cosmetics go on the wide bodies, didn't the 86 & 87's have the 3 piece air dam instead of the 1 piece for 88-89. And interior changes were the steering wheels and no more foil on the AC and radio buttons.
Posted Image

#9 cyberquest

cyberquest

Power Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:55 AM

yes forgot about the airdam and steering wheel.
2005 Acura RL SH-AWD
Posted Image

#10 Sharpshifter

Sharpshifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:27 PM

View Postcyberquest, on 30 May 2016 - 01:39 AM, said:

mine just has a small button to push for a/c. mine seems like a more basic setup then yours, pretty primitive...lol. i like it,  nice and simple.
Posted Image

Interesting, it's sort of a legacy styled slider control. Probably doesn't have the ambient air temp sensor on the roof and the UV sensor on the dash then?

How cool that in the first variation you posted, there's an ammeter installed instead of a voltmeter!

The flattys have been growing on me. When I first got the bug for these cars, I bought what was pretty much the first car to show up locally on craigslist, and didn't do half bad. (The usual undisclosed blown head gasket it's biggest problem.) Of course, this car, which has become my daily driver, is a wide bodied 87 Conquest which I find out is the most mass-produced model. I've rebadged it as a Starion inside and out, however. :) Back to flattys, I think they look a lot like Inspector Gadget's car in 'sport' mode, especially with window louvers. They look more 'fit' and less 'body builder' in my humble opinion.

#11 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:17 AM

Nice!   That is an es model!   I'm jealous.  

It will have the automatic climate control and the Velnas computer.  Also has the anti-lock differential.  

It was a loaded es too, with leather seats and sunroof.   Obviously someone removed the factory es stripes.

Kev

#12 Sharpshifter

Sharpshifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:32 PM

View Postkev, on 31 May 2016 - 06:17 AM, said:

Nice!   That is an es model!   I'm jealous.  

It will have the automatic climate control and the Velnas computer.  Also has the anti-lock differential.  

It was a loaded es too, with leather seats and sunroof.   Obviously someone removed the factory es stripes.

Kev

Really? Yes, it's got all of that. This is looking more like a restoration over a donor the more I learn about it. All that exterior striping is inside the car. Oddly, some of the pieces indicate "Turbo Intercooled," while there's no intercooler to be had, nor does it appear to have ever been equipped.

First step is getting the engine unstuck. Someone attempted....something.... before me, because all of the plugs were removed from the cylinder head when I got it. I've applied Marvel and Acetone to each cylinder and have been rocking the car forward and back in first gear every free moment I get. I'll safely give it a couple of weeks to work, and if that doesn't work I'll have to pull that head off. No telling what horrors lie within. It may have blown a headgasket in 93 and sat with water ever since.

#13 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:10 PM

Looks like most of the pieces are in the car.  Good luck!  I'm glad you saved her.
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#14 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:05 AM

The trim pieces that say turbo intercooled were snagged from an 85.5.  That explains the double sided tape marks across the car. The factory es striping was a decal that ran full length just under where those tape marks are.    Natallica made up a set of replacement decal stripes for a member a few years back.

#15 Sharpshifter

Sharpshifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:51 PM

Kev- good eye. There is actually still double sided tape adhered to the trim. I like the way the Turbo Intercooled part looks, but for accuracy I'd have to bend to the original striping, if it could still be obtained. Though by what I'm seeing, there seems to be some additional extruded rubber trim a few inches over the decals which I don't have.

Edited by Sharpshifter, 01 June 2016 - 12:53 PM.

#16 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:02 PM

My 84 ES did have the door bumper trim just above the decal.

#17 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:06 PM

This was my 84 ES (that I found in the junkyard years after I sold her away).  You can see the striping and the door bumpers.

Posted Image

I never should have sold that car!  Been kicking myself over that decision for years.

#18 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:08 PM

I bet that still hurts
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#19 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:20 PM

Yes it does!   I took that pic 14 years ago and I sold the car about 20 years ago!  There is a lot of sentimental value in that car.  I kick myself for selling it in the first place and I kick myself again for not buying it off of that junkyard.  

I've only ever seen two other cars like this one; one of which was a photo of starquestpilot's first starion and the other was also a car I found at a junkyard many years back.  But I believe both of those had leather interior (mine was cloth).  I've seen a few white, burgundy, black, and grey ones but not in this color.  

Only pic I have of it in electronic form from when it was on the road.

Posted Image

#20 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:47 PM

N8's page with those decals.  

http://natallic6.wix...allicasproducts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users