10 replies to this topic

#1 Spooled_Starion

Spooled_Starion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:15 PM

Looking for help with my pfc fcon installed in my 87 starion. I am curious if it is required to have the map sensor input I read about. I've read some have them and others dont. Due to the age of the unit and limited starquest information I'm stuck. I am not sure if the starquest pfc fcon originally used a map sensor as an input or not. Can someone chime in on this situation? Also, inside of the pfc is a number of different switches and I cant figure out what they are for. Seeing as this car has had a couple owners previously to myself I'm not sure if anyone has messed with any of them or not. The manual I found online for the fcon makes mention of the multiple switches but not what they do. I've emailed hks usa but haven't recieved a response in the last couple weeks. Anyone who has used one before please respond or PM me. Thanks!
Hks Downpipe, hks exhaust, hks intake, hks camshaft, hks pfc-fcon, hks fcd, hks turbo timer, trilogy injectors, mk1 short shifter, GReddy traditional shift knob, 89 ecu, Hks Boost gauge, innovative wideband A/F gauge.

#2 Spooled_Starion

Spooled_Starion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:15 PM

So it does utilize a map sensor, I chased the wiring and it led me to a map sensor. Someone got tricky with the mounting of it so it was unable to be seen just from looking for it. My question now is, how to I go about testing the map sensor for functionality and if it is faulty what kind of map sensor do I replace it with. The hks map sensor designed for the pfc fcon were discontinued when they discontinued the fcon ecu so no availability of a new hks unit.
Hks Downpipe, hks exhaust, hks intake, hks camshaft, hks pfc-fcon, hks fcd, hks turbo timer, trilogy injectors, mk1 short shifter, GReddy traditional shift knob, 89 ecu, Hks Boost gauge, innovative wideband A/F gauge.

#3 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:47 PM

You can use a volt meter and a vacuum pump to vacuum to atmosphere pressures.  Then regulated air for + psi.

An o-scope would work better than volt meter for tests though.  You can get a pocket o-scope now pretty cheap

#4 Spooled_Starion

Spooled_Starion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:03 PM

I dont know what the range is for this map sensor and cant seem to find anything about it online either. The map sensor is a denso unit part number 949940-0730. None of my local part store come up with that number and google yielded only identifying it as a fcon map sensor. Cant find one for sale anywhere online and cant find an interchange part number for it either.

Edited by Spooled_Starion, 12 August 2018 - 12:13 AM.

#5 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:30 PM

Sounds like pain in the rear! Have Scott build you a nice Megasquirt plug and play and be done w it.

#6 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:34 PM

FYI : HKS use pressure equation: [ mmHg ] = (X / Y) * [ mV ] + Z

compatible sensor list from https://1jzmerc.com/hks-faq/hardware/

lists compatible sensors

#7 Spooled_Starion

Spooled_Starion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:40 PM

View Posttux, on 13 August 2018 - 03:34 PM, said:

FYI : HKS use pressure equation: [ mmHg ] = (X / Y) * [ mV ] + Z

compatible sensor list from https://1jzmerc.com/hks-faq/hardware/

lists compatible sensors

That's the same website I found as well the problem is that that part numbers they list as compatible map sensors are only hks map sensors that are no longer available for purchase. Parts stores are unable to look up those numbers. Without an interchange number or knowing what variables to put in for the x, y or z in the equation it doesnt get me anywhere and is unsolvable as is. I'd first need to know what the variables are that they're asking for in the equation. I assume I'd need pressure, but pressure of what? Then milli voltage, of I assume 5V but then I'd still need the other variable which would be what?

Edited by Spooled_Starion, 13 August 2018 - 04:07 PM.

#8 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:54 PM

Hm ya.  I'd just apply pressure from regulated air and use a bench power supply for power and see what max mv is and if it scales pretty evenly on an o-scope

#9 Spooled_Starion

Spooled_Starion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:31 PM

View Posttux, on 14 August 2018 - 08:54 PM, said:

Hm ya.  I'd just apply pressure from regulated air and use a bench power supply for power and see what max mv is and if it scales pretty evenly on an o-scope

Not a bad idea I just need to find someone with an oscilloscope who would be willing to let me use it.

#10 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:52 AM

Why not just try a 3 bar GM map sensor from cars in a junk yard? Those are pretty much universal

#11 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:33 PM

You can get a dso nano oscilloscope for 50-90$ depending on where you buy it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users