Updated Standalone

I did MPI on my car over 10 years ago. I'm currently running a Haltech E6K. I have to use an old IBM notebook, that I think is gonna die any day now. There is no way of using an Window 7 or newer laptop to tune my E6K. I'm debating on getting a new EMS or getting rid of the car.

I've been out of the loop for a few years now. What are the updated EMS system out now?

Megasquirts are the best value for the dollar out there, they had a marginal reputation for awhile because the build quality was dependent on the builder. The feature list in the firmware has/is growing constantly and can usually be back ported to earlier versions and pricing has remained fairly constant so the actual value goes up over time.

• 2 weeks later...

There are ways around this problem without resorting to buying a new ECU. DosBox and VirtualBox come to mind.

Do a google search for running dos on new computer.

If the tuning program ran in XP, it's easy enough to roll a newer computer back to XP by slipstreaming sata drivers into it for the new style hard drives.

I wouldn't recommend keeping XP for a machine that will be used online, but on a cheap laptop dedicated to the car it would be no problem.

Agh memories... Oregon trail . First game I ever saw in grade school lol

Better than street fighter 2 ..sike

Edited by G54Bstore

Has anyone looked into maybe using VMware and running a virtual machine on a newer computer? I know some industrial programmers use it for outdated Allen bradely software that only runs on xp or older. It's kind of like having a computer on a computer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Dos box does work really well with the old haltech tuning software, You can find old IBM t30's on ebay pretty cheap and if it's running windows 98 or older it should work ok for the task. the main issue is going to find a tuner that knows how to work with those older haltechs. they are very strange in the fuel/timing maps are bar graphs and not like a modern ecu.

I'm a fan of AEM ecus though they have their quirks, if you are budget minded the EMS-4 works really well (UCW458), If not then I'd say go with a big box series 2 (30-6050) or one of the new infinity ecus. I'm running the 30-6050 on my car and it works extremely well, within the next few weeks I'll be setting up flex fueling and probably updating my build thread from 5 years ago.

The main issue I find with the megasquirt ecus is the poorly written software and the jacked up way of setting up the inputs and outputs especially the cam/crank triggers. The logging is very lacking and if you can get through all of the issues with the setup and get it working and tuned they don't have a very good track record for reliability.

My Conquest has been on MS1X since 2008 or 2009. You call that unreliable?

Its like bit.ching that your mongolian stirfry taste like crap......YOU PICK THE INGREDIENTS. Dont use crap.

+1 for Scotts system.

Edited by Funky Phil

My Conquest has been on MS1X since 2008 or 2009. You call that unreliable?

Its like bit.ching that your mongolian stirfry taste like crap......YOU PICK THE INGREDIENTS. Dont use crap.

+1 for Scotts system.

I've been running a 30-6050 since late 09 when they launched it (I have SN #65).

I don't see how your mongolian BBQ reference makes any sense it's more like you go to the mongolian BBQ and you give a bowl with all of the ingredients and you cook it yourself, and if you burn it or mess something up, it's all your fault. I've worked with FIP's trainwreck of an MS1, I've worked with Scotty's MS2/3 hybrid and those are like the diet coke of the standalone world, sure they'll get the job done, but they'll always leave a bad taste in your mouth afterwords.

I've been running on ms2 for about 5 yrs. Once I got over the learning g curve that is mpi, I absolutely love it. Car fires right up, idles great and runs like a raped ape. I can't say anything bad about the megasquirt stuff.

And definitely etly have not had any reliability issues that were the megasquirts fault.