Spay can for Y59 San Marino Yellow

tsi_tom

I believe sherwin williams will also do mix a can to your paint code. You have to consider that any paint mixed for y59 san marino yellow is going to be mixed per order. Meaning I dont think there is much call for it, so it will likely be a custom order and not something sitting on any shelf. If you have any automotive paint stores in your area, you may just give them a call and see if it's something they can do in house and then you can take the car there for an exact match.

BC_99

I've heard good things about the automotivetouchup site Derek mentioned, but haven't used them before. I use paintscratch.com and they offer similar products which I have found to be not only good color matching but also quality stuff.

Most online paint code search applications for stuff like this gets sketchy with imported Chryslers. The site apps only offer to search either Mitsubishi (this will work for all colors offered on both Conquests and Starions..R04, X15, etc...), or straight up Chrysler. The Chrysler colors shown are only for their US made cars. The paint codes that need to be used to mix y59 are the ones for Chrysler Imports.

For those colors, you will probably have to physically call them, but I suspect either place will be able to get what you need with a personal call.

One thing to watch out for... If I recall properly, the Y59 cars have different colors between the engine bay and the outside... I suspect the paint on the exterior of the car was clearcoated while the engine bay wasn't (that's common on a lot of cars in the 80's and early 90's). A paint can mixed as a true Y59 paint code will be mixed to match the brightness of the exterior color, and if the engine bay color is paler, chalkier, or duller, the new paint may not match your engine bay all that well. If this is the case, bring it up with whomever you talk to, and they may be able to mix it for the underhood color.

If there are gonna be issues with getting a color match underhood, you could always buy a few cans of semi-gloss black, some tape paper and aluminum foil for masking, and just make the whole engine bay a nice consistant black that can be touched up at any time with off-the-shelf rattle cans at any paint store. Those custom mixed spray paint cans can get a little pricey, so you may find you can do a nice semi-gloss black for about the same price.

Use Google. Look up local automotive paint supply companies. Find one that can make you a can of your color. Go down and buy.

This works great if you're spraying a normal automotive paint color thru a spray gun, but very few auto body jobber sites offer a mix in an aerosol can. Most jobber sites will send you to paintscratch or automotivetouchup for rattle cans of paint mixed. That said....some of those places sell these little resuseable aerosol paint units that you can put a thinned automotive paint code mix into and spray on the car. They're fairly expensive, and I have used them and been very disappointed with them.... The propellant always seemd to wear out on me after the first 6 ounces.

• 2 weeks later...
Go to you local automotive paint supply store with a sample of the yellow, like pull off the mirror and take it in if you cant drive it. They can scan it and mix up an aerisol can of single stage or base / cleer of your color ready to shoot. its about $35 for the can but it will be dead nutz your color and a good automotive paint. I did this for the mirrors on my roadrunner in hemi orange and the color is spot on.