20 replies to this topic

#21 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:09 AM

Also, one more thing to add. I noticed I missed what I consider is a critical step earlier in my rebuild steps. The 1987 FSM has us checking the play in the main shaft subassembly. It isn’t in the 88 FSM..not sure why??? But I think it is worth it. Following the steps described in the 87 manual, I checked the play BEFORE and AFTER disassembly. This is really good to do. First off, it tells you if your parts aren’t all worn out prior to wasting time cleaning and replacing seals. Secondly, it verifies you put it all back together correctly!

Set the system up in a vise in the orientation as shown. Use a dial indicator positioned near the end of the carriage, as the manual shows in the cartoon pic. Orient the carrier 4” from the boss…again like the 87 FSM shows. And simply measure the play. I got around .004” 87 FSM says it needs to be under .008” but I believe .002” is nominal brand new. I was happy with 4 mils on a box this old and most importantly it was consistent before and after the rebuild!!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: STEP BY STEP WITH PHOTOS, Updated with New Info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users