27 replies to this topic

#1 varzaman

varzaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:32 PM

Hey guys, wanted to ask this before I you know.....I make a dumb mistake haha.

I was thinking of buying a Starion from one of the forum members here.

Some background: I live in PA, so typical 4 season weather. From spring to fall I pretty much ride a motorcycle most of the time. I also use the bus. I currently own no car.

I love wrenching and working on my motorcycle. I also like cars. I thought maybe I'd combine the two.

I got this great (probably dumb) idea that since I don't use a car every day all year, I can get a cool older car to fix up and then use that as my sole car. I'll call it a daily driver but not really. More like a semi daily driver. Now I understand it won't be a DD from the beginning, but maybe I can make it into a DD. The challenge of doing that kinda excites me.

It would have to be driven in the snow and during winter, but it can be stored inside a garage.

Tell me why I shouldn't do this.

Edited by varzaman, 26 October 2017 - 05:37 PM.

#2 FRO

FRO

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:27 PM

Varzaman,

I am glad you chose to asked first and before making a purchase. as a whole, I find these cars to be fun, and pleasing to drive. That being said, they are one of the more difficult to get running right, most mechanics wont touch them, and if they did, they usually just make the issues worse. It all basically comes down to you, and what you are willing to endure.

Pros:
When these cars are running right, they are a blast to drive, semi reliable, and will not leave you stranded.(usually)  I have a LOT of them, two that i drive alternately every day, and two that get driven EVERY once and while. For the most part I love them, I have names for them, and I get depressed if one is down for any reason.

Cons:
First and foremost it MUST be stated that you will NEVER recoup your money out of these cars, or your time. If you purchase one that is not up to par, you will be spending a LOT of time going over literature, (Factory service manual) reading posts on the forums, and asking questions. Then, searching for parts, and troubleshooting wiring problems. But, when the day comes when you can drive it down the street, you will feel a GREAT sense of pride and accomplishment. When you begin to drive it regularly, a fondness grows. And, when someone notices your car and knows what it is, you will find yourself in a conversation with a stranger about how he remembers these cars and you just dont see them any more. Then you are hooked.

So, are you up for the challenge, we are here to help you along the way. But you must have patience, and time, and plenty patience more.

Good luck with your decision, hope to see you soon.

Jeff

#3 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,650 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:33 PM

No

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

#4 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Cars .... duh!
  • Model:Starion

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:38 PM

I think the amount of driving you are planning to do with the car is about right - if you really do truly utilize your bike and bus more.  But, I really think it comes down to your know-how. As mentioned above, not many modern mechanics want to touch these cars, so you're on your own with the help of this community.  If you don't have considerable automotive experience you might be in for a whole lot of regret.  Only you can make that call.  Be patient and waiting for the right car is key too.  Many are just heaps that never went to the scrap yard simply b/c it was a sports car.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#5 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,640 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:15 AM

If you like a challenge, go for it. Don't expect it to be good in that PA snow though. I did daily one for many years in NJ, snow and all, so it can definitely be done but not easily. If you decide to keep the car rough or don't try to make it too pristine, you'll probably have a better time. Buy a car that runs already though if you don't have experience troubleshooting them.

Edited by Fuze, 30 October 2017 - 07:52 AM.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

#6 EricSQ

EricSQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:15 AM

View Postvarzaman, on 26 October 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

It would have to be driven in the snow and during winter, but it can be stored inside a garage.

A Starion is not a snow-mobile.  The rear ends can get squirrely with drops of water and I don't even want to think about snow and ice.  If PA spreads salt during the winter your 30+ yo car will be Swiss cheese real quick.

If you already have the Starion and need to drive in the snow I understand and that is different.  I would NOT search for a Starion to perform that purpose.  I would say find a Subaru.
Posted Image
1988 Chrysler Conquest Tsi (sold)____1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL (sold)
1987 Mitsubishi Starion (sold)_______ 1986 Mitsubishi Starion LS Swap (For Sale)
2015 Subaru WRX (sold)___________ 2002 Chevy Silverado Z71 (For Sale)
2005 Subaru Baja Turbo (sold)______  2000 Chevy Silverado Shortwide (DD)

#7 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,904 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

View Postvarzaman, on 26 October 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

THAT is exactly why you shouldn't do it!!
Like Eric said, they are no good at all in the snow and the winter road maintenance will kill the car VERY quickly.
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, O-Ringed Block, Schneider 284-H, prepped rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 75# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, Poly Bushings, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
87 Valencia Gold TSI, The new Project
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#8 varzaman

varzaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:05 PM

Salt is that bad huh? I was hoping cleaning the car often would be enough, but I understand that salt is salt. That might be enough to deter me from this, would hate to ruin a car (the one I'm looking at is in real good condition).

I wouldn't say I'm buying a Starion to drive in the snow haha, just that it would have to be done if I want to go anywhere in the winter.

Even with steelies and snow tires on, still a problem?

#9 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

Go ahead and get you one....Don't let anyone discourage you from getting one...There are plenty of people from northern states here on this forum...

#10 varzaman

varzaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:09 PM

View PostPreludedude, on 27 October 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

Go ahead and get you one....Don't let anyone discourage you from getting one...There are plenty of people from northern states here on this forum...
So many varied opinions haha. I'll have to weigh them all.

#11 PSiTSi

PSiTSi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Endoscopy Repair Tech.

Hockey, DSM's, 3S's and Starquest's.

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

If the car is clean and relatively rust free please don't drive it in the winter. The salt will eat it alive. That being said, it would be your car to do as you please.
2009 Pontiac G8 - 1989 Jeep Comanche - 1988 Chrysler Conquest TSi

#12 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,650 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:09 PM

Toss a half full glass of water at mine and it wants to spin out.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

#13 BuGG

BuGG

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:27 AM

My first quest was a daily.  Drove it through several winters here in PA.  Drove it in light snow and through winter storms.  Its not ideal but doable.  I don't recommend it on a rust free car. In 96 a storm hit east coast and I was driving home from florida in it.  Driving 35-40 on I95 is not and was not fun.
Posted Image

#14 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:25 AM

View PostPreludedude, on 27 October 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

Yea, but I don't see any of us driving them in the winter.
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#15 varzaman

varzaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:15 PM

Alright guys, I've taken the rust issue to heart and won't be getting a Starion as my sole car. I would honestly feel bad if I got a nice old car rusted out due to salt.

Instead I'll be getting a winter beater and a Starion (possibly). New plan. Buy a cheap winter beater, and my dad told me he'd give me an interest free loan to get a nice project car since he still owes me haha.

Now, that takes care of winter. I got some more Starion questions.

So the Starion would be a 3 season car then (and maybe some snow fun :P). Now I use a motorcycle most of the time, but sometimes I'll need to have passengers, I still  need to go buy food, etc. So I'll still call it a semi daily driver, but it doesn't need to be super reliable to start out with. Would obviously be a nice project for me. I ride my motorcycle regardless of rain or shine, but maybe sometimes I don't wanna deal with the rain haha. This is where my next question comes in.

I see some of you talking about the driving dynamics in the rain. Is this due to the RWD nature of the car, or is the car itself just more squirrely than other RWD cars in the rain? Because being able to drive it in the rain is kinda important.

Edited by varzaman, 28 October 2017 - 02:37 PM.

#16 FRO

FRO

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:47 PM

I drive mine in the rain all the time, heavy or lite rain, as long as you drive sensibly, the car will drive well. I do not loose traction in my cars.. Unless i want to :P

that being said, I can not tell you how they perform in the snow, because I flat out will not take mine out in it. I would die if I wreck it, or some A-hole slid into me.

#17 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,640 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:03 AM

With good tires, rain is not a big problem and snow can be done if necessary but yes, salt is an issue. I used to worry about other people hitting me in it in the snow. I stopped driving mine in the winter when I picked up a cheap truck on Craigslist and decided not to risk it anymore. Having a beater pickup truck is almost priceless.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

#18 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,641 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

I'lll.... just leave this here....

Posted Image

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#19 EricSQ

EricSQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:09 PM

Do as I say, not as I do. :P
Posted Image

Edited by EricSQ, 31 October 2017 - 01:10 PM.

Posted Image
1988 Chrysler Conquest Tsi (sold)____1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL (sold)
1987 Mitsubishi Starion (sold)_______ 1986 Mitsubishi Starion LS Swap (For Sale)
2015 Subaru WRX (sold)___________ 2002 Chevy Silverado Z71 (For Sale)
2005 Subaru Baja Turbo (sold)______  2000 Chevy Silverado Shortwide (DD)

#20 varzaman

varzaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:00 PM

Thanks guys.

I got winter taken care of now :P

So, for spring-fall driving, would you say the platform is reliable enough to be a "semi" daily driver? (Of course assuming the work is put into it to make it a daily and the car itself is in good condition). Any "known faults" with this car?

From what I gather from these forums, at stock boost there isn't anything that is a "major concern", but that is just from me lurking around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users