#1 Matt888

Matt888

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Not breaking down in the TSi
  • Model:Other

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:08 PM

I've got a few sidebar discussions going on with members on here, but still have alot of questions and in need of advice from you all that are knowledgeable on this swap.  Plus, surely there will be others that come along and attempt the same project, so I might as well document a good bit of it!  For now, I'll post a pic of my Magna intake that is literally in the mail to Chad in OR for the conversion.  I bought the intake and a distributor from a member on here, "FUEL", from Australia.  Don't hesitate to contact him if you need one!  Chad has been great answering my noob questions about the pending intake mods.  I'll attempt to list my plans in a future post in this thread, but shooting for 350-400HP in the longer run with upgrades to ignition, a Holset Turbo, intercooler upgrade, and Scott's Megasquirt.

So, here's my first question... should I buy a used 96-01 throttle body and TPS or can I get away with one of those aftermarket machined ones (some Chinese, some USA)?  I just want one that will not leak under boost later.  The newer knockoff ones look nice and shiny, but if a dull OEM Ford one is the right one for the job, I'll go that route.

Posted Image

#2 fuel

fuel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:42 PM

Hey Matt - thanks for the plug!

I would go for a throttle body that is readily available in such that if you have an issue with yours you could just pull one from a junk yard at low cost. I would guess in your neck of the woods it would be something domestic and large capacity so you get a good size throttle body. If it were me I would use the DSM/Mitsubishi flange so I could swap on an Evo throttle body as they are everywhere in Australia and you could buy a larger aftermarket replacement that attaches to the same flange pattern - but I wonder if it's a different story in the US.

#3 Matt888

Matt888

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:28 AM

It was a little late when I posted and I left off "mustang" throttle body.  I hear the 4.6L 2v motor variety will work.  Tons of old crusty ones for like $35 with the TPS sensor already on them.  The aftermarket mustang ones are appealing because it's new metal for not much more money, but unsure of their quality.  Probably will play it safer with OEM and just clean one up.

#4 Matt888

Matt888

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:46 PM

Chad on here did a great job on my Magna intake.  He also modified the fuel rail to accomodate a fuel pressure gauge or sensor and tapped both ends.  Excellent work and price.  

Posted Image

#5 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,650 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:40 PM

Chad uses the flange for a mustang throttle body.
From what I read the mustang body leaks on the shaft sals.
I would ask chad to see what he recommends for anybody.

I have a mustang tbody, still not sure what to do.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

#6 Chad

Chad

noob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,093 posts
  • Interests:Starquest Fanatic

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:10 PM

Perhaps use one that is aftermarket.  I the one I personally use is a new-at-the-time Paxton oversized upgrade for the mustang. There wasn't much aftermarket back then (2000).  I've worked with a few others that didn't leak.  Not saying they don't leak, just never seen it or talked to one who has seen it first hand.

#7 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,904 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes
  • Model:Starion

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

I have a factory mustang TB on mine. I've pressure tested it with no problems. That was a few years back, so maybe I should do it again now.
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, O-Ringed Block, Schneider 284-H, prepped rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 75# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, Poly Bushings, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
87 Valencia Gold TSI, The new Project
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#8 Matt888

Matt888

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:13 AM

Ok, I plan on initially using the Magna stock fuel rail that was modified by Chad to accommodate an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, gauge, etc.  I understand I'll be looking for 750-1000cc injectors to fit my longer term performance goals.  I never got the stock magna fuel injectors with my manifold, so I don't know what style, shape, etc. to look for.  Can someone please recommend a part # or year car domestic/import that I can use?  I'd obviously prefer to get something readily available here in the states.  I want to ensure they fit and have the right seals on both ends for the magna intake setup... no leaks.  Thanks in advance!

#9 GINASQ

GINASQ

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:21 PM

I think my setup has the magna rail (I think) I haven't looked in over a year. When I get home I'll see what my 720's are.
-James

#10 GINASQ

GINASQ

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:17 PM

Hey I looked at my rail and injectors.

Part number on the injectors were 17113742 which are 75 lb/hr 780cc Delphi injectors.

Found them online with the the dimensions listed https://www.fiveomot...lb/hr-rochester

Apparently, I didn't know the size of my injectors lol. It's okay I haven't touched any of this stuff in forever.
Posted Image

Edited by GINASQ, 10 April 2017 - 09:23 PM.

-James

#11 Matt888

Matt888

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:26 PM

You the man!  Thank you.

#12 Chad

Chad

noob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,093 posts
  • Interests:Starquest Fanatic

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:35 PM

You had mentioned high impedance to me prior, those are low impedance.  Make sure you don't get mixed up on what you use for engine management, and what injectors you buy.  Most use low impedance because there are more and cheaper options for injectors.  The ones in GINASQ's post are low impedance.  That's a pretty decent price, they range from $50 to 75 ea in the size range you mentioned.

Any injector in that style/shape will fit.  Rochester and Delphi are common names to search to find them.

#13 Woody

Woody

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Starions

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:18 PM

Mate this thread couldn't have come at a better time. I'm doing my Manga MPI as well, and was trying to find injectors that will fit. Thank you :)
www.sweetfrostings.com.au

#14 Matt888

Matt888

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:17 PM

View PostWoody, on 06 May 2017 - 08:18 PM, said:

Mate this thread couldn't have come at a better time. I'm doing my Manga MPI as well, and was trying to find injectors that will fit. Thank you :)

No problem.  I still need to buy the injectors, FPR, fuel lines, throttle body gasket, MPI radiator hose.  Also need another air intake sensor "bung" for the custom intake tube I bought from a member on here.  I'll post a pic eventually of the tube, but it essentially allows me to plumb from the the stock intercooler to the MPI throttle body.  That way I can get the car running on MPI before the next stage, which consists of all new plumbing, larger intercooler, turbo upgrade.

Right now I'm still "high" on my recent Megasquirt upgrade - what a game changer!

#15 Woody

Woody

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:48 AM

Hmm that is a good idea about the piping. I'm going to order the injectors monday, and then all I need is to install all the MPI intake and wiring it up and get it running. Then get the new Intercooler and piping made up and away she goes. I have a started map for my ECU for MPI as well thanks to TopDawg_43.

I'll make a thread when I start. Good luck with your build as well. I'll keep checking back :)

#16 importwarrior

importwarrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,650 posts
    Starquests

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:34 AM

i am in the same boat.
so close to having all the parts to complete but budget keeps me at a slow pace at gathering the parts..

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

#17 Technology

Technology

TheNerdyProfessor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,391 posts
  • Interests:Lots of boost!

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:30 PM

Just grab a 24x12 intercooler from ebay. $100 bucks and it'll be more than you'll ever need if you are only planning on 400 hp.

#18 Woody

Woody

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:19 AM

I ended up getting a cheap intercooler off ebay and it's amazing. Cost me $175 AUD and it's made by Plazmaman. https://plazmaman.co...st.php?cate=112

Only thing is with no branding (The way I prefer it). But quality was still amazing.

#19 importwarrior

importwarrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,650 posts
    Starquests

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:10 PM

Racetronix injectors.

http://www.racetroni...p?Mc=DELPHI-INJ

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

#20 Matt888

Matt888

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:53 PM

Good info collecting in here.  I'm still slowly accumulating MPI parts.  The Megasquirt/TBI is awesome and I'm driving the car 2-3 times a week to work due to vast improvement in reliability!

Looks like the low impedance injectors are much more common and I may just go with them afterall.  Thanks to all for adding any and all MPI info in here... it's welcomed.  I'll get off my butt and add more pics of stuff soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users