#1 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:23 PM

Hey guys, well to start, my name is Drake Lehr and I live in Duncan, Nebraska. My family farms and raises cattle so I stay very busy but always find time to work on the quest. I've been on here for a little over a year but haven't really got to show off my 1987 TSi. I got the car from my uncle when I turned 16 with only 47k on it. It had a little bit of a rough life before I got it as it was wrecked and is only a salvage title but everything was repaired pretty well and its really a pretty good car. The car had not ran in a few years and needed some love.. had to clean out the fuel tank and replace all the filters to get it to run. Here are a few pictures of what the car looked like when I bought it (not much has changed except under the hood)...

Posted Image

And completely stock under the hood

Posted Image

Since Then I have been modifying and fixing and upgrading almost everything.. heres some more pictures along the way

Deleted some and replaced all other vacuum lines and new coil

Posted Image

Cosmo Racing open air filter for stock MAF and deleted some emissions junk

Posted Image

Painted some intercooler pipes, etc. added magnecor plug wires (going with a red and silver theme) :)

Posted Image

Bought some Motocam 360 Hood Struts from Tim E. and got the chrome OVCP I've been looking for. Came with a cheap HKS bov but it worked good.. I already had a brand new SSQV 4 so I will install that later

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then I bought a super rare 160 MPH gauge cluster from a member on here.. came out of a 1984 Ukraine Starion I believe.. I used the speedo, green boost gauge (which I have never seen before), and the oil pressure gauge (mine was broken).. not a huge fan of the maroon interior.. someday ill swap out for black.

Posted Image

Also replaced the old clutch that was starting to slip with a Spec Stage 3, its a 6 puck sprung disk.
Bought a MK1 3in exhaust too.. straight through to muffler.. big difference (not in pic yet)

Posted Image

Then I bought a Super 16G turbo, Delphi injectors (650/950) and a few other goodies so I wanted wideband and fuel pressure gauges.. my custom pillar mounts turned out pretty good I think.

Posted Image

With the gauges installed.. I went with glow shift gauges.. all electric with ten colors and programable options
I think my car runs a little lean, and my fuel pressure is kinda low. Im waiting for my Trilogy Turbos Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator.......

Posted Image

Installing the S16G.. went pretty smooth.. pulls hard once its spooled up

Posted Image

All installed with the lower shores performance oil and water feed/return lines.. running good.

Posted Image

ABS and A/C deleted..

Posted Image

Then recently I tucked some wiring away and relocated a few things to clean up the engine bay..
Also got a new SS intake pipe and the other hard pipe around the air filter
Its looking better and better under the hood every time I work on it :D
Posted Image

Thats how it sits now and I have more parts on the way right now.. (polished VC, strut bar) so i will update once I get them and get them installed.

Thanks for looking guys, hope you enjoy!

P.S. any pointers or tips are greatly appreciated! ;)

Drake

Edited by '87quest, 27 August 2014 - 10:33 PM.

Posted Image

#2 CarlosFley

CarlosFley

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:-Class Culture-
    Sinatra, Wu-Tang, Keys N Krates

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:35 AM

Wow, awesome SQ man! After that tuck and hide away the bay looks much much better. Real clean build. Keep it up.
'87 Chrysler Conquest TSI NON-SHP "Diamond"-Walbro 255, rebuilt TB, OVC hardpipe with HKS SSQV, GM 3" MAF, 1G DSM MAF Translator, 88-89 knock box, black silicone vacuum lines, ABS & Cruise Control delete, 3" HKS Super Power Flow, wire tucked... kinda :/, NRG adjustable shift knob, MSD Blaster 2, tucking tire in the rear and zero wheel gap in fronts on D2's, aaaaaaaannddddd stickaaaaaassssss for that booooooooost!

Interested in: CF 83 style hood, CF air daayyuum. Ohh and turbo-to-intercooler hardpipe.

#3 randy

randy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,082 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!
  • Model:Other

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

Pretty clean car and nice build up on the parts.

#4 bodhi

bodhi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:55 AM

Nice looking car, makes me want to get moving on mine. Mine is and 86 quest with 25k miles on it, on the fence about modding it, but after looking at your engine bay, might have to start. Thanks for the hook up on the TEP bar, that will be the first mod under the hood.

Edited by bodhi, 10 May 2014 - 07:57 AM.

#5 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for the comments guys! She's a work in progress but I think its coming along pretty well.. considering I've done all the work myself. I just wish there was a member or two around my area.. I've yet to see another starquest in person!

View PostCarlosFley, on 10 May 2014 - 12:35 AM, said:

Wow, awesome SQ man! After that tuck and hide away the bay looks much much better. Real clean build. Keep it up.

Yeah I agree it looks way cleaner with the hidden wiring (somewhat).. but not my unmatched strut towers are more noticable..

View Postrandy, on 10 May 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

Pretty clean car and nice build up on the parts.

Thanks man! been a lot of time and $$ but I love the car so its all worth it right?? ha

View Postbodhi, on 10 May 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

Nice looking car, makes me want to get moving on mine. Mine is and 86 quest with 25k miles on it, on the fence about modding it, but after looking at your engine bay, might have to start. Thanks for the hook up on the TEP bar, that will be the first mod under the hood.

Dang only 25k!! i'm jealous! but I understand you not being sure if you want to mod it.. I love mine more and more with the more mods I do though! And yeah no problem man glad you got the bar.. my stuff arrived at the post office yesterday so I'm going to pick it up in a little bit!

Posted Image

#6 bodhi

bodhi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

Glad your parts came, someone posted about the guy being a potential dead beat, glad he is not. My first quest way back in 1989 was an 87 starion, with really low miles since it was only 2 years old at the time was the  same color as yours, always liked that color. It was actually a dealer demo.

#7 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

False alarm.. I thought it was his package that arrived but it was a different thing I ordered.. :( but hopefully Monday!

Posted Image

#8 MotoCam360

MotoCam360

Established Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:SQ, SY/TY, BMW, electronics, motorcycles, snowbikes

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

View PostFrom 09 May 2014 - 11:23 PM:

Bought some Motocam 360 Hood Struts from Tim C. and got the chrome OVCP I've been looking for. Came with a cheap HKS bov but it worked good.. I already had a brand new SSQV 4 so I will install that later

Posted Image

Posted Image

Actually I'm Tim E. from MotoCam360.  Tim C. is a different member that has been around a long time and offered some really trick cams I believe....fyi
Tim

My Feedback Link
'87 Red 5spd | '87 Atlantic Blue 5spd | '88 Yellow auto | '88 Fiji Auto | '89 Fiji auto
Posted Image
  New/Used SQ parts can be found on Ebay under "MotoCam360"

#9 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:52 AM

Ahh my mistake.. Love your products man

Posted Image

#10 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

Worked on the car for a bit today.. Finished pulling out my A/C and made my own air diversion panel.. I like how it turned out considering I have less than ten dollars in it.

Posted Image

Enjoy!

Drake

Posted Image

#11 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,368 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

Nice work dude! Really clean!
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KYB's, ST springs, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#12 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Interests:Family, Strength Sports, Starquests, Brewing beer and Land Rovers.

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

Very, very nice, be proud of your build and keep a classic on the road.
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (Daily Driver)
2002 Discovery II SE7 (Wife's progeny wagon and tow vehicle)

Second place is S*** place , eh.  - Stéphane Peterhansel

#13 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:00 PM

Thanks guys! I'd really love to go to a meet and actually get to show it off and meet some of you guys.. I wish there were starquest owners around me.

Drake

Posted Image

#14 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:05 PM

Forgot to mention I replaced the old broken radio with a Pioneer single din when I first got the car. Also have a MK1 short throw shifter which I love but I think it vibrates more than stock but I can live with it for the short throw benefit. And you like my shift knob?? real 8 ball I found in an old truck that we were taking to scrap! :D

Posted Image

And I recently did the fog light mod.. super easy I wish I would have done it sooner!

Posted Image

Drake

Posted Image

#15 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

In the process of restoring and painting my rims.. Turning out to be a lot of hours sanding and buffing but they are turning out pretty good for being 27 years old! This is how my car is sitting now haha I'll post more pictures when I get them finished this week sometime..

Posted Image

Drake

Posted Image

#16 Skrilla

Skrilla

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Interests:Cars and bikes
  • Model:Other

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

Nice progress
If you boost it,they will come

#17 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

Finished up my rims last night. This is what they looked like when I started..

Posted Image

And this is after I sanded the centers for the paint to stick and polished the lips.. Sorry already taped the lips before taking the pic. Aircraft stripper wouldn't take much off of my wheels.. The clear was really on there and they were pretty beat up under neath the clear coat. So it was a lot more work than I expected but I got the lips shined up to a mirror finish except for a few really deep pits but they're not very noticeable. Also I found really fine steel wool (0000) worked way better than sand paper to get in the little tight spots on the wheels. So here they are ready for paint..

Posted Image

After three coats of paint and three or four coats if clear here's what I ended up with.. I also sanded off the ring around the center caps to really set it off. Very pleased..

Posted Image

I bought a new set of chrome lug nuts to go with and got the rims all cleaned and mounted back up. I'll post a before and after picture once I get a pic if the car in the daylight.. Finished up about 2 am haha

Let me know what you guys think, I've always loved this look on our cars!

Drake

Edited by '87quest, 24 May 2014 - 02:24 PM.

Posted Image

#18 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:29 AM

Before..

Posted Image

After..

Posted Image

Edited by '87quest, 30 June 2014 - 07:40 AM.

Posted Image

#19 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,368 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:08 AM

Very nice. Side note: did you put those TSi stickers on the fenders? They're way too high lol.
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KYB's, ST springs, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#20 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:40 AM

No they were already there when I got the car..

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users