• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 indy_85stariones

indy_85stariones

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,639 posts
  • Interests:Keep her running just one more day!
  • Model:Starion

Posted 26 July 2003 - 10:54 PM

Greenstar (Steve) asked whether the wire colors were the same between 86 Starion MAS and 88/89 Starion MAS.    I have no idea whether an 1st Gen DSM MAS will work on using an 86 ECU.  

All I know is the wiring colors, I'll let you 86 owners figure out the rest...

85/86 MAS Connector (taken from control harness of 85/86 service manual)
[53|04]
[02|03]
53, 1.25 Black which is same as
----34, 1.25 Black, ECU-B, Ground
04, Green/Red, Air Flow Sensor<Signal>, ECU-A
02, White/Black, Air Flow Sensor<Signal>, ECU-A
03, 1.25 Red, Air Flow Sensor<Battery>, which is same as
----35, 1.25 Red, ECU-B, Control Relay <Computer/Battery>

85/86 Wiring Colors (taken from fold-out diagram of 85/86 service manual)
1.25 Black -- Ground
Green/Red -- Air Temp Sensor (+)
White/Black -- Air Flow Sensor Output
1.25 Red -- Battery

My feeble and poor attempt to understand 88 Conquest Service Manual
[GR2|R|WB]
[GR1|BW3|BW4]
Green/Red#2, -- ECU#10, Not Sure
1.25Red -- Battery
White/Black -- ECU#02, Not Sure
Green/Red#1 -- ECU#05, Not Sure
Black/White#3 -- ECU#16, Not Sure
0.85Black/White#4 -- ECU#04, Ground Not Sure

Boy, I hate reading this 88 Conquest manual -- I give up...

#42 SHhhhh

SHhhhh

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 23 August 2003 - 07:00 AM

What is the best way to physically mount the 1GMAS so that is is not just resting on the inner fenderwell?  I have one all hooked up correctly, and just added Kelly's AHP, but the filter is just resting against the fenderwell.  What is the best way to mount it so that it is not just leaning up against anything??
Currently Starquestless

http://www.youtube.com/user/intheboost

#43 zactek

zactek

Artistic Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 03:50 PM

I have my MAS attached to a metal 3in tube with a silicone coupler. The metal 3in tube has a bracket welded to the side of it, which bolts to one of the holes that the cruise control mounts to. The bracket sits on top of a couple rubber washers, giving it a little space to move around when the engine shakes a little, shouldn't be too ridgid.
Life's too short to be like everyone else.
Savour kindness because cruelty is always possible later.............

Posted Image
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#44 barbercb

barbercb

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 02:05 AM

I put the sensor in the stock can and lid, can has holes drilled in it for additional air. The car now runs like a scalded cat. I'm gunna see if I can get that on a license plate.

#45 Kougar

Kougar

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 07:27 PM

Um...No one seems to have mentioned that you can just hack the 1G MAS wire connection ON THE MAS so it will fit the wire connector FROM THE QUEST.  In other words, instead of having the 1g mas wire connector then soldering the wires to the quest wires, why can't you just put the quest wire connector INTO the 1G MAS?

Seems like all the wire connections are the same, but overall less work.  Am i missing something?

#46 barbercb

barbercb

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 05:55 PM

No one has mentioned either that you can (whileyou are at the junk yard) snip off the harnes from a regular or turbo eclipse talon or what ever, go to radio shack buy buy some pins for computer cable ends solder them on the ends of the wire, stick them in your stock plug, then hack the one you sniped to fit down in there too. That way you save your stock harnes.

Also auto zone sells a pipe with a nipple and a port for both of our tubes that go into the accordian boot. It's made by spectre and is out on the floor with the rest of the "fast and the furious" stuff.

#47 lionbull

lionbull

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts
  • Interests:DUH
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 16 September 2003 - 06:27 PM

do you need a good starquest mass to start with or are you totally replacing the quest mas with 1 g mas ???

vettekiller593, on 09 September 2011 - 10:20 AM, said:

Lol you guys must be blind. He would of won if the supra didn't give him a 1/8 mile start. Lol you guys kill me.

lionbull, on 07 September 2011 - 02:26 PM, said:

ALSO this is not a HP race. It is a race. You dyno queen guys need to remember this. I am not speaking to anyone in particular but you know who you are!

#48 zactek

zactek

Artistic Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 06:31 PM

Kougar, I mentioned that in one of my posts, don't know if anyone noticed. I just used a jewelers screwdriver to pry the plastic pins that hold the connectors inside the stock MAS plug, pulled out the wires,  then transferred them over to the 1G MAS plug, no cutting, no soldering. ;D
Life's too short to be like everyone else.
Savour kindness because cruelty is always possible later.............

Posted Image
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#49 barbercb

barbercb

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 04:41 AM

You are replacing the stock sensor with a 1G sensor. The old one does not need to be good. In fact this is a cheap way easier to find alternative. Price new ones at Autozone, then compare to 50 bucks at a junk yard. I've found the best idea is to use the 1G lid and sensor, but cut the top 1/2 inch off the can and just use the clips that come with it to attach the filter. How you wire it is another story there are about 3 good ways to do it. They are all listed in this post I think.  

#50 lionbull

lionbull

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts
  • Interests:DUH

Posted 17 September 2003 - 09:05 AM

thanks barbercb thats what i wanted to find out wink.gif

vettekiller593, on 09 September 2011 - 10:20 AM, said:

Lol you guys must be blind. He would of won if the supra didn't give him a 1/8 mile start. Lol you guys kill me.

lionbull, on 07 September 2011 - 02:26 PM, said:

ALSO this is not a HP race. It is a race. You dyno queen guys need to remember this. I am not speaking to anyone in particular but you know who you are!

#51 SHhhhh

SHhhhh

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 08:53 AM

What is the best way to physically mount the 1GMAS so that is is not just resting on the inner fenderwell?  I have one all hooked up correctly, and just added Kelly's AHP, but the filter is just resting against the fenderwell.  What is the best way to mount it so that it is not just leaning up against anything??

Anybody else have any ideas about this?
Currently Starquestless

http://www.youtube.com/user/intheboost

#52 xtremesushi

xtremesushi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:How come this thing is ALWAYS breaking?

Posted 11 October 2003 - 08:22 PM

OK, Ihave done the 1g conversion a few weeks ago while i had the manifold off(warped and cracked,gee,LOL!)and the first thing i noticed was that the engine idled alot better. also, i had a weird surge at the top end around 5400 rpm, that was gone until my tps went out! Any way i installed a air fuel gauge today and it says that im running rich at idleand full boost, but under decelleration it drops off the scale! Now keep in mind im at 1.15bar,around 19-20 psi, motor and injectors still stock, 122000 miles on it!!and abot 150 miles per tank, keep in mind that this car only leaves my shop to go to the track and to go for short blasts down the road. one more thing about this conversion that no one has talked about is their spark plugs!!Im a dealer for NOLOGY wires and i can tell you that i have them and another quester has got some from me,bp89,and those worked really well with the mas,any way the thing is that no one has said one thing about SPARK PLUGS!!!Come on people,more boost/fuel need cooler plug!NOT hotteras some people think. i was running BERU silvercore plugs #S5,that is their hottest plug,B4 the mas swap. after swap i noticed quite a bit of soot(unburned fuel!)around the plugs! So now i call DENZO and tell the engineer my problem and he said he had the answer which was thier new IRIDIUM plugs that run A HELL OF ALOT COOLER!!the plugs helped out because i was gettin spark"blow out"when i tried to go past 15 psi now there is no more problems.that soot on the plugs wasnt there B4 the 1G conversion beacause of the more fuel provided!!Has anyone tried to pass any smog tests with the 1G mod yet? ;D

#53 barbercb

barbercb

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 05:02 PM

Passed with flying colors. I had it in a stock can, no pre cat either.

Charles

#54 xtremesushi

xtremesushi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:How come this thing is ALWAYS breaking?

Posted 12 October 2003 - 11:44 PM

what stae do you live in? i live in illinois

#55 marksweet

marksweet

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!

Posted 13 October 2003 - 07:19 AM

Earlier in this post I said not to modify the unmetered section of the 1 G mas as it allows too muck air in and the stock injector becomes too small to keep up with the added air.
I have since found an 850cc injector that worked fine as a primary injector. It would idle in the stoich range of my halmeter a/f gauge.
I believe that a 2nd generation mas might also work with te 850cc injector. This 850-900cc injector can be fond as the secondary injrctor on '88 & '89 turbo colts. I have two injetors thatI am sending to RC Engineering today for a c;lean and flow to find out if indeed I do have 2 of these 850cc injctors. The 1 Gmas is a nice inceae and I believe tht the 2nd generation with proper fuel would prsent quite a HP jump! Mark

#56 Zero

Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Escape conformity. Fast.

Posted 17 October 2003 - 04:18 PM

Will this mod pass smog? Thanks

WILL NOT pass CA smog.  The car ran too rich (CO) and was borderline or above all other readings.  Passed with flying colors when the stock MAS was put back on.

Thanks Kelly!

#57 88TSI_Rob

88TSI_Rob

Super Potential

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 11:52 AM

For anyone that cares, here are the pin outs for the 2 MAS sensors:

88/89 starquest

---------------------------------
| Power | Power | Air Sen. |
---------------------------------
| Temp. | Press. | Ground |
----------------------------------

1G turbo DSM

---------------------------------------------
| Power | Power | Air Sen. | Air Sen. |
| Temp. | Press. | Ground | ****** |
Posted Image

#58 Conquestor

Conquestor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:SPEED

Posted 30 October 2003 - 12:37 PM

HELP NEEDED! ???
I HAVE A 87 TSI AND I PUT THE G1 INTAKE, WIRED IT PERFECT DOUBLE CHECKED BUT WHEN I STEP ON IT THE CAR STARTS TO SHAKE AND IT SOUNDS LIKE ITS GOIN TO SHUT OFF.  ON THE INTAKE THE ONLY THING CONNECTED IS THE WIRES.  THOSE ARE THE ONLY THINGS THAT GO IN.  THERE ARE ALOT OF HOSES NOT CONNECTED BUT THERE IS NOT WERE TO PUT THEM IM GOIN TO TRY TO GET A PICTURE BUT CAN SOME1 PLEASE HELP ME I DONT WANA TO THROW 50 DOLLARS DOWN THE DRAIN IM POOR!  THANKS!  YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT acefrompba@yahoo.com!  thanks!

#59 Conquestor

Conquestor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:SPEED

Posted 30 October 2003 - 12:38 PM

HELP NEEDED! ???
I HAVE A 87 TSI AND I PUT THE G1 INTAKE, WIRED IT PERFECT DOUBLE CHECKED BUT WHEN I STEP ON IT THE CAR STARTS TO SHAKE AND IT SOUNDS LIKE ITS GOIN TO SHUT OFF.  ON THE INTAKE THE ONLY THING CONNECTED IS THE WIRES.  THOSE ARE THE ONLY THINGS THAT GO IN.  THERE ARE ALOT OF HOSES NOT CONNECTED BUT THERE IS NOT WERE TO PUT THEM IM GOIN TO TRY TO GET A PICTURE BUT CAN SOME1 PLEASE HELP ME I DONT WANA TO THROW 50 DOLLARS DOWN THE DRAIN IM POOR!  THANKS!  YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT acefrompba@yahoo.com!  thanks!

#60 jaredrk

jaredrk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 05:27 PM

What about wireing in a 2G mas? it flows more would you get way too much fuel? could you tune it out with a SAFC?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users