T-5

Funky Phil

I've had my T5 in for nearly two years now and I'm very happy with it. I guess to keep the theme of this reply consistent with some of the others I will list the pro's and con's as I see them. Obviously, I don't have any experience with the other alternatives other then some limited research before I did the swap.

Pro's:

Has proven to be strong enough for the power I'm putting through it.

Shifts great (Pro 5.0 shifter)

Nearly identical shifter location as stock( 1/2" more forward).

Stronger u-joints than stock.

No cutting of tunnel, which I feel is important in a subframe car as the tunnel is essentially part of the frame. Did require a little "massaging" with a 16 oz hammer. Nothing too extreme.

Stronger gears, mainshafts, and cases available from aftermarket suppliers. I run G-force gears with a hardened mainshaft.

Many 5th gear ratio options, however I wouldn't recommend any 5th gear longer than, say, .75 with the stock 3.54 rear gears. Even though these engines can be modded to put out very good power, they are still 4 cyls off boost and don't have the power to pull a much longer gear continuously.

Transmission weighs about the same as the stock tranny. Which in itself is a double edge sword: Light weight means less rotating mass to turn(especially important with a relatively smaller displacement, like a 4 cyl). Obviously, the other side is you lose the strength of, say, a T56. I like the smaller trans with the stonger gears to acheive the best of both. However, it's expensive to have your cake and eat it, too.

Cons:

Cost, very expensive and not for everyone. With a stock T5 probably around $2200. If you want the stronger gears add another $1500 or so depending on options.

Slightly noisier than the stock tranny due to the semi helical cut gears used in the G-force gear set. The gears are wider and somewhere between straight cut and stock helical cut. You can hear a little bit a whine when cruising. I hardly notice it, but it you don't have a good shifter seal it could get annoying in the cabin.

There are a lot of good options available. I don't think mine is necessarliy any better than anyone elses. It just works well for me. Unforturnately, some are a bit pricey. I guess that was the subtle decision I made with I decided to use the Starion as my platform to go fast.

Hope that helps,

Dave

------------------------------------------------------------

What is the application of a T5 tranny?

------------------------------------------------------------

early 80's though early 90's mustangs and camaros, many verions of them too.

G-force selles them new and race-ready outright for about the same as a new bone stock T56.

they are best suppored aftermanket-wise in the latter mustang varions.

Only reason I didn't persue it myself was because the 650 ft/lb rating in full race trim, that' only a tad more than a viper stock T56 and I hope to reach or exceed that value eventualy.

--------------------------------------------------------------

What is the application of a T5 tranny?

94, 95 mustang. It has the longer input shaft to accomodate the extra length needed for the adaptor plate.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Dave, is there a readily available adapter plate for the T5, or was that something that you had custom made?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Dave, is there a readily available adapter plate for the T5, or was that something that you had custom made?

Custom made.

If I take the engine out this winter I should record dimensions so more could be cheaply made. No promises on that one though. We'll see how much time I have and what my winter plans are for the car.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Cost, very expensive and not for everyone. With a stock T5 probably around $2200. If you want the stronger gears add another $1500 or so depending on options.

The T-5's that came in the fox bodied ('79-'93) 5.0 5spd Mustangs can still be had rather cheaply in the yards if your patient and do a little searching. Summit Racing sells a Ford Racing super duty T-5 for a little over $1000. That's not to expensive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
My Ford buddies seem to think that a stock t5 is sufficient for a swap. V8 torque comes on differently than quest torque. stock t5 can handle 450-500ft of torque. The problem with them is power shifting. When they break they usuall can still drive home. You might not have second gear though.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...