4 replies to this topic

#1 gst4g64

gst4g64

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:39 AM

When trying to read someone’s old posts or topics, can the length be changed to include posts older than default somehow?

When visiting a members profile, the ‘Find content’ button will bring up all of the persons posts and/or topics but only brings up content from the past year.  Clicking ‘Topics’ or ‘Posts’ from the Overview only brings up the 5 most recent posts/topics along with a preview.

Using the advanced search feature and typing a members name in the ‘Find author’ and leaving all the other fields blank will bring up a certain number of posts resulting in about 3 and a half pages of topics starting with the most recent.  If you change the date range you can go back in time to 2010 and after a while it is feasible you could view all of there content back to January 1, 2010 as long as you keep your date range starting at where the last 3 and a half pages dropped off, however it is not ideal and additionally the site has been around before 2010 and content is available on the site that was posted before that date.

I think it would be great if when viewing a members profile there was a way to change how much content or how far back it displays when querying the search.  It is far more convenient in my opinion to be able to view a persons content by clicking their name in a thread I am reading and then viewing it from the members profile rather than running advanced searches and playing with dates that ultimately are limited by a set number of results rather than a date range.  It eliminates me having to try and copy their username into the ‘Find author’ field and brings back a lot more content.

I understand this may not be ideal for someone else looking into a persons posts as a greater search range will surely slow the results generated by the query, however if it kept the same default settings it has now and even if it was limited to a year at a time as it is now, changing the year it shows would be greatly appreciated at least by me.

So I was fiddling with it some more and was able to get content beyond 2010 (where the calendar stops for me until I manually change it, then the calendar displays beyond 2010 as well).  However now I am more confused as I did a search on someone with a date range between August 2008 and March 2009 and it resulted in 6 pages of topics, which is more posts than other queries I have ran, but actually only resulted in 2 months worth of content.  So I rechecked my original search results leaving the dates blank hypothesizing that it would on bring back a range of 2 months meaning results were limited by date and not the 3.5 pages worth of topics I original thought, however it is only 1 months worth of content.

I am unsure of the limits of the search function when it comes to how much content it returns, but if I could run a single search from a ‘Members Profile’ and return all content from them, even if it meant some kind of advance settings from their page it would be great.

Lastly, is there an option to automatically follow threads I respond to so I get notifications when someone replies to a topic I posted in.  I looked for something to set that up in ‘My Settings’ but did not find anything.

Thanks for reading,

Doug

#2 fang988

fang988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:11 PM

I have found that there was something wonky with the search feature too.
As for following content, I am not sure if there is a feature that lets you automatically follow content you commented in, but you can simply press the "Follow this topic" button at the top of this page. You can get notifications when somebody posts in the topic. You can also see a list of all the topics that you follow if you press you user name->"content i follow" on the black bar at the top.

#3 gst4g64

gst4g64

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:06 PM

Yeah I try to do that now, but sometimes I forget and it would be nice to not have that extra step.  Other forums I use do it for me automatically so I tend to forget.

Thanks for the response.

#4 gst4g64

gst4g64

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:11 PM

Oh and for searching, a lot of times I use google and site:www.starquestclub.com at the end.  The whole search feature could use an overhaul, but I have the biggest issues trying to get content from a specific member.  I could use my google method there as well, but it isn't as efficient, all encompassing and sorted by date etc.  It has hiccups as well and I am unaware of any way to make it display topics created by user only using that method.

#5 gst4g64

gst4g64

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:41 AM

I see in the control panel that I now can auto-follow topics I reply to.  Thank you!  

I do have another problem now though;  The last email notification I've received is from September 26th.  Fully searched my email account spam, inbox, promotions, and social with no results.

Double checked my control panel settings as well.

Additionally I had to reupload my avatar today, not sure if that correlates but it was displaying an x.

Again, grateful for the new features and hopeful to get my kinks worked out.  Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users