speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,619 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:22 PM

I know exactly what its like when you start looking into fixing a few things and then it cascades into other parts of the car. I had the same thing happen when I upgraded to my JDL manifold and lower shores intake. I figure well heck, while I'm here...   My build thread shows what happened after that lol.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#42 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Interests:Family, Strength Sports, Starquests, Brewing beer and Land Rovers.
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 21 September 2015 - 01:07 PM

View Postspeedyquest, on 21 September 2015 - 12:22 PM, said:

I know exactly what its like when you start looking into fixing a few things and then it cascades into other parts of the car. I had the same thing happen when I upgraded to my JDL manifold and lower shores intake. I figure well heck, while I'm here...   My build thread shows what happened after that lol.

So, it's a disease?
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (Daily Driver)
2002 Discovery II SE7 (Wife's progeny wagon and tow vehicle)

Second place is S*** place , eh.  - Stéphane Peterhansel

#43 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:17 PM

I guess that depends on your view of it. I look at it as a bunch more stuff to add to my To-Do list. I enjoy it.  You or others might wish it would stop lol.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

#44 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:32 PM

View Postspeedyquest, on 21 September 2015 - 02:17 PM, said:

I guess that depends on your view of it. I look at it as a bunch more stuff to add to my To-Do list. I enjoy it.  You or others might wish it would stop lol.
I enjoy fixing it, that's why I bought it.  I'm just impatient and need to enjoy it more. It's all stuff I would replace eventually anyway so it's all good really.  I just want to drive it...
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=

#45 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:04 AM

after years of owning quests i got this 89 in hopes to just drive it and make it one summer no real issues and lots of driving.
WELL after 2 engines and 3 turbos and a year later i would say this year was a success compared to last year.
i finally made it a summer of driving and enjoying the car.

you guys amaze me with your skill and persistence on working and making these cars better.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

#46 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:00 PM

So, I've come to my senses and will probably send out the head to be cleaned and checked, and remove timing chain case to inspect the chains.  If I have found this many issues thus far then I need to inspect the chains as a precaution. And I could get rid of all that blue paint.

I plan on removing the EGR system and following the suggestion on th 1-x site and use freeze plugs to plug the EGR holes.  Anyone see issues with this?

On the head, why not just save up a little more money and have bigger valves installed at this point with ARP head studs?  I will more than likely replace all the chains and guides with new ones from Randy (Engine Machine Service) Things I wanted to do eventually anyway.

I need to keep in mind this is a long term project....Do it right do it once.
Canterbury, CT

#47 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:55 PM

Amen brother. As far as the valves go I'd first ask what your goal for the car is. If your looking for more a budget build with around 300hp you could see more gains by spending that money in other places. If eventually you want to go full snot on it, then hell go for it. The arp head studs are something I'd always recommend.

Posted Image

#48 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:45 PM

Today I ordered SS valves, chains, ARP studs and gaskets from DAD and the remaining rubber hoses from RA.  I'm going to try and reseal the steering box and replace the coupler this weekend and then on to the chains and head. It will take me a few months but it should be getting along fairly well. To have it running well will be huge for my morale.
Canterbury, CT

#49 importwarrior

importwarrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts
    Starquests

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:46 AM

Sounds like a,plan.
Wish I had time to get my steering box and center link in.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

#50 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:05 PM

Pulled the steering box and replaced the lower two seals.  I will try tomorrow to pull the steering column and replace the coupler.  Then i can start putting the engine back together.
Canterbury, CT

#51 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:27 PM

Reinstalled the steering column and box, aligned the steering wheel.  Pulled the front cover off to replace the chains and gears.  Will try and work on it this week. Ordered the new brake reservoir cover and diaphragm from 3SX.  I am going to pull the intercooler and make sure there isn't any debris in there.

Edited by mbruneaux, 07 November 2015 - 08:30 PM.

Canterbury, CT

#52 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:22 PM

I pulled the chains off and found this:

Posted Image

I also pulled out the silence shaft and am wondering if I'm looking at a BSE for good measure:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I pulled the side cover and the bearing feels even worse.

Edited by mbruneaux, 22 December 2015 - 07:37 PM.

Canterbury, CT

#53 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 01:02 PM

Today I ordered a new camshaft and BSE
Canterbury, CT

#54 importwarrior

importwarrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts
    Starquests

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:32 PM

Where did you get the cam from?

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

#55 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:40 PM

View Postimportwarrior, on 23 December 2015 - 04:32 PM, said:

Where did you get the cam from?

Amazon, Randy was out of stock.

http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o00_s00
Canterbury, CT

#56 MountainAIR

MountainAIR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Anything vehicle or motorsports related. Wrenching or customizing anything. car audio but have been out of the scene for more than a decade. If you have Q ask. ( zomb3573@gmail )

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

I truly love these cars but there is a snowball issue. it doesn't matter what it is that fails or causes worry, one thing always leads to another repair or upgrade. Or maybe its us?

#57 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:04 PM

View PostMountainAIR, on 23 December 2015 - 06:33 PM, said:

I truly love these cars but there is a snowball issue. it doesn't matter what it is that fails or causes worry, one thing always leads to another repair or upgrade. Or maybe its us?

I think this car was a culmination of neglect and unintentional errors.  I'm putting it back together correctly but it's taking a lot longer than I thought.  I planned on going through everything eventually but thought I could at least drive it for a while.  I have had it two years and haven't really driven it yet when it was running or driving correctly.  I'm just really frustrated and keep reminding myself this is a long term project and it will be a blast to drive when it's done.
Canterbury, CT

#58 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:06 PM

Putting the car back together will take time. Keep the faith!  It will be worth it.  Just get the car running in stock form then upgrade.
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#59 MountainAIR

MountainAIR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Anything vehicle or motorsports related. Wrenching or customizing anything. car audio but have been out of the scene for more than a decade. If you have Q ask. ( zomb3573@gmail )

Posted 25 December 2015 - 11:40 AM

You will have a completely buttoned up car when its all said and done, the worry factor will have eased and youll be able to do something few are able to.... just enjoy the drive! :D

#60 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:41 PM

I actually got something done!!

Stripped the head
Cleaned all the caked-on crud
Lapped the Stainless Steel Valves
Checked the head an block for straightness and they are both perfect
I tore down one of the hydraulic valve trains to clean it and I found some wear marks that I think make it junk.
I also found on the rear of the head where it looks like someone drilled a hole through the freeze plug and then re sealed it.
The brand new cam is nice and shiny!!  Same manufacturer as the head

Posted Image

Posted Image
Canterbury, CT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users