speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:13 AM

Yesterday was spent masking things, sanding, painting, etc. I didn't take any pictures just because there wasn't much to see. Today I'll be doing a bit of rust repair, working on modifying the front fenders, and starting to make the front end assembly. Derek and I went to a local place called DiscountSteel and I picked up lots of aluminum sheet for both the ducting and the exducer vent. Also just over 40ft of 3/4 cold rolled 16g pipe. I'll update as I go.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#42 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:37 AM

Alright, lots of pictures coming your way. I feel like I didn't get a ton accomplished today but I guess fabrication work takes time and lots of thought. I spend a few collective hours just sitting in front of this thing thinking about how best to go about it. Here is where I got as of 30 minutes ago. Tomorrow morning Derek and I will go get some more welding gas then I will be adding the mounting for the intercooler, making the hood vents and ducting, and then I hope to god we will actually get to cutting out the rear quarters and making the over fenders. I need to have this thing painted friday night if I have any hope to drive it home sunday.

So here is a pictorial of what I did today...

I knew that if I was to have any hope at all of having the bumper and everything else line up correctly Id have to atleast use the front bumper support as a base. So here is what i did. It worked well.

Posted Image

And here it is right after making it but before cutting it down further to add to it.

Posted Image

mounted...

Posted Image

and thank god!!!!

Posted Image

On to adding the radiator supports.

Posted Image

Adding structure and setting things up to be able to add the intercooler section above.

Posted Image

And here is a back view. You can see the piece that will tie the bottom of the radiator section and the bottom of the intercooler section together. How do you like my spray can cap spacers? lol

Posted Image

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

#43 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

Well I am out working on the car again and the radiator mounts are done. I just need to drill the holes for the top mounting bolts. I can do that later. As you may have guessed I'm behind lol. On to the intercooler.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#44 cheesey

cheesey

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

is that a fatty fender on a flatty!? Some flatty lovers may be cringing.

#45 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

It is cheesy. The flatty will soon no longer be flat lol.

Posted Image

#46 Convette

Convette

I used to driftjunk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,987 posts
  • Interests:Going faster

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

Looking really good man.  I really hope you have more plans for something that will provide protection in a crash. That tubing is way way too small.

#47 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

I've stopped for the night, anything I need to do requires tools that make tons of noise. Since Derek lives out in suburban hell I can't make noise past dark which is about 9pm. I spent another hour or so sanding more of the car down but kind of hit a stand still. I'm tired and want to sleep. I plan on waking up at 7am again and getting this pig ready for paint.

Convette, I understand what your saying and to be honest I mentioned that to Derek a few days ago about how this thing would be no hindrance at all. This is my first time building anything like this let alone fabricating or welding to this degree. Any and all suggestions are more than welcome.

I finished a lot today including making hood pin plates, cutting the hood for the vent, finishing welding up the front assembly and putting it on the car with the radiator and intercooler, and also sanding etc. I will leave you with this picture and post more in the morning so you can see how far I got. Tomorrow night I very seriously hope to paint the car.... thats wishful thinking though I believe. I may take one more day off of work.

Anyways here is the completed assembly

Posted Image

Posted Image

#48 dukaine

dukaine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:28 PM

getting there nice.  I had a busy nite and didnt get much done.  Just got 1 of my rims sanded going to paint em cause the clear looks like hell

U going to fit that air dam under that?

Edited by dukaine, 10 July 2014 - 11:28 PM.

Posted Image

#49 cheesey

cheesey

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:36 AM

View Postspeedyquest, on 10 July 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

It is cheesy. The flatty will soon no longer be flat lol.
Nice Mr Columbus. Lol

#50 Technology

Technology

TheNerdyProfessor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,391 posts
  • Interests:Lots of boost!
  • Model:Other

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

Looks so low, when the car is on the ground, will you be worried about scraping?

#51 movin on

movin on

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

Looks good Allen!  It is good to see your car love applied to your flatty.

#52 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

@Technology - Its just an illusion from the poor picture angle. Its level with the bottom of the cross member. I took care to ensure it wasn't an issue. The air dam would hit before it would.

@movinon - Yea dude but I'm starting to tire. I've been working on this thing non-stop since Friday last week. I still have tons to do... Too much...

Posted Image

#53 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Family, Strength Sports, Starquests, Brewing beer and Land Rovers.

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

Red Bull, Mountain Dew and Snicker bars!!!!!!!!!!   Don't eat much it will save time from the bathroom...

Very ambitious and admirable.
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (Daily Driver)
2002 Discovery II SE7 (Wife's progeny wagon and awaiting head gaskets)
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1  To tow the two hay burners

Second place is S*** place , eh.  - Stéphane Peterhansel

#54 Convette

Convette

I used to driftjunk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,987 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

I'm just saying something more substantial for tubing.  I use 1-1/4" DOM for mine, still prolly not EXCELLENT is a crash, but stronger than what I had none the less.   Obviously for your own safety, but also for the car.  I crashed a 240 a few years ago, super slow speed front hit, but it destroyed the car casue I had no bumper support..( bought it that way..was a turbo car at one point)  Posted Image

I know your pretty far into it now, and at this point might need to be something you come back to, but just as a heads up.   Very curious to see the hood work out ect.   Great work so far, most importantly your learning.

#55 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

Race cars don't crash.
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=

#56 dukaine

dukaine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

View Postmbruneaux, on 11 July 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

Race cars don't crash.
Lol perfect logic
Posted Image

#57 Convette

Convette

I used to driftjunk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,987 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

Race cars don't crash.

haha sure.

#58 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

I appreciate the heads up mbruneax haha. And thanks for looking out converts. I hear what your saying and your right. I am super far and can't redo it and hope to finish but I'll definitely need to build another one. Besides my welds are ugly, structural but geez they are ugly lol. I'll have a huge update tonight.

Posted Image

#59 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

Race cars don't crash.

Doesn't anyone appreciate sarcasm anymore? Sarcasm is 3/4 of my personality...
Canterbury, CT

#60 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:40 AM

Oh I do mbruneaux lol. Well its the end of Friday... the idea was to have the car painted by now. As you might guess its not. I did the rest of the fabrication for the hood and also the rear over-fenders. I also sanded the hood down and started thinking about what to do with the quarter panel and fender sections that meet the door sill side skirt. I will be deleting them to give a more coke bottle shape to the car.

My hope is that tomorrow I can finalize what I will do to delete those, do a bit of bondo work, prime the car and let it dry, sand it down with 400 grit sand paper, build the temp paint booth in dereks garage, and... well spray the car and panels.

Its going to be a lot of work but... I hope I can finish it. The car will need time to dry before I can put the body stuff back together and drive it home. After giving it a day to dry I'll start putting the engine back in and the rest of the stuff I tore out.

On to what I did today!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users