speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

For quite a  few months I've been acquiring parts to make a drastic transformation to my narrow body 87 starion. Well this weekend is the start of that project and I will be documenting it here. D_Venable was gracious enough to offer up his garage space and tools so I drove up to his place to spend just over a week bothering the crap out of him and spending way too much time in his garage making a mess lol.

The basic plan is to do some upgrading of the fuel system, install a few maintenance parts, paint both the body and engine bay, widen the car by making over-fenders, and lastly fabricating up a proper v-mount setup for the car.

I will be updating this regularly throughout the day and will probably set up my computer in the garage and stay logged into chat if you guys want to heckle me or offer up suggestions haha.

Before pictures coming soon...

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#2 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

Actually you guys may be able to help me out. Derek (D_Venable) and I have been going back and forth about which color I should paint the car. Its between semi-gloss white and semi-gloss grey. Since this is my first time doing body work or painting a car I am concerned with the quality of my work. Semi-gloss white would cover up mistakes pretty well. I do like white but grey would be awesome too.

Tell me what you think, what would you do?

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

#3 dukaine

dukaine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Grey imo is really cool.  White has its drawbacks too.  My vote is grey thought.  Good luck it sounds like you got a lot of work for 1 week.
Posted Image

#4 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

Here is where I am starting from.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

Almost ready to start measuring and fabbing up mounts etc for the V-mount. First I need to cut some of this radiator support out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

Alright, thats out of the way. It looks like the lower radiator support will foul the position the radiator needs to be in not to mention the ducting for the air leaving the radiator. Another thing to consider is that the suspension uses that lower section as a brace. What I think will work well is cutting out that brace and then welding in a tubular brace about 5 inches back. This will allow it to continue doing its job of a supporting the suspension parts it needs to and also give me the room I need.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

Weld in brace............. before cutting brace............so it doesn't move out  of place........................   
(gun metal grey).......... polished spartons  rims...................

Edited by markhansenconquest, 04 July 2014 - 03:13 PM.

#8 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

Yep for sure. I appreciate you looking out too. I certainly don't want to be changing the geometry of anything.

Here is a picture of mocking up the radiator and intercooler position. This is all subject to change, I'm sure after Derek gets off work and we sit down and look at it for awhile we will find ways of optimizing it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 starquestJOE

starquestJOE

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts
  • Interests:buy one buy EM ALL!!!!!

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

I like what im seeing here

IM STARQUEST 4 LIFE ....
88 tsi-80k one owner bone stock R88 unicorn
87 tsi - red - sometimes mine sometimes ryans
89 tsi-46k-red but not for long!!!
88 esi-r-white-SOLD
88 tsi white 61k-SOLD
89 tsi-black-rip
87 tsi-black/red-SOLD
88 tsi yellow sold
89 tsi white parts car
88 esi-r-black-RIP
87 tsi-somewhere in MD....need to pick it up
                    88and 89parts car...need parts???
          lookin for  RHD starion and part to convert to RHD
Posted Image

#10 aconro

aconro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

Interesting.  Definetly interested in the out come. Good luck.
1988 Chrysler Conquest TSI Auto (Sold)
1987 Chrysler Conquest TSI 1JZ Swap
1997 Honda CBR F3 600 (Sold)
2004 Volkswagen Golf GTI VR6 (Sold)
2008 Dodge Caliber SRT-4

#11 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,351 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

Cool looking start there man. Gonna be an interesting build for sure.
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KYB's, ST springs, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#12 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

Well Derek and I just got back from the hardware store. Ended up spending just under 200.00 in supplies. So today the plan is to finish up the mounting and relocating the front frame rail brace. That will allow us to fan up the brackets for the radiator and finalize its location. When that's done the motor can come out and prepping for painting it can start.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 tankbob

tankbob

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

I thought intercoolers let air flow through them with little resistance so that the radiator can be behind and still get good flow?
Posted Image

#14 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

That is very true. The purpose of a v-mount setup is not meant to improve upon that. Its meant to use high and low pressure zones to create a more efficient rate of air flow and decrease engine bay temps.

Another update. I've got the old lower radiator support out and trimmed down the caster bar supports some. Next is to create a new support and strengthen the caster mounts to it.

Also that bar at the end of the frame rails is just there to ensure the rails stay where they should be. That will be removed soon.

Posted Image

Edited by speedyquest, 05 July 2014 - 05:56 PM.

Posted Image

#15 D_Venable

D_Venable

Have you had your boost today?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

Oh, and we're going gloss smoke grey
2011 Silverado
85 Conquest aka DTHSTAR (215whp/251tq on a 12a at 15psi) RIP (for now)
88 TSI parts car
88 TSI SHP Durban Maroon 17C TD05H, MAFT, 9's all around, 13" brakes, MR2's with Anti-M's
Posted Image

#16 Dred_85.5_TSI

Dred_85.5_TSI

Flatty Love

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
  • Interests:I have an announcement to make, "Turbo........ That is all".

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

Cool! Flatty Love!
Posted Image   1984 Starion ES: Currently running 15psi, Stock block (ARP main and head studs rod bolts, Clevite bearings) BSEK, M28 NJV head with mechanical valve train gasket matched on intake and exhaust, Treadstone exhaust manifold and Holset HX35w with BEP turbine housing, MK1 3" stainless exhaust, Old skool HKS super BOV, 3" GM MAF with MAFT, Artinist's old 4" core intercooler, custom Aluminium hard pipes, S13/SR20 Aluminium radiator w/clutch fan, Innovate LC-1 wide band O2, `83 crank pulley with A/C removed.
   `88 5 speed trans with Stedbani short shifter, Stedbani poly trans mount and engine mounts, drilled and slotted rotors, Joly roger stainless steel braided lines(brake, clutch, oil cooler, and ABS delete).
   KYB GR2, Artinist sleeve coil-overs, MK1 poly bushings, Energy Suspension poly end links, MK1 Adjustable tension rods, Cusco front camber plates, Artinist slotted rear camber plated.

ABS, A/C, Cruise control.. deleted, Right hand drive E-brake handle.

... more to come
Feedback thread #1
Feedback thread #2I'm PayPal Verified

#17 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

I wasn't able to get ahold of any sheet steel to make the new lower cross brace so to keep progress going we ended up pulling the engine out. We will be picking up steel on Monday. Today I plan on pulling everything out of the engine bay and starting to prep it for paint.

Posted Image

Edited by speedyquest, 06 July 2014 - 10:09 AM.

Posted Image

#18 dukaine

dukaine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

I am glad yours doesnt have all the extra crap mine took forever to get in order but i also had to peice the engine bay together with my parts car
Posted Image

#19 CarlosFley

CarlosFley

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:-Class Culture-
    Sinatra, Wu-Tang, Keys N Krates

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

You should like... shave and tuck your engine bay... I mean, just my .02
'87 Chrysler Conquest TSI NON-SHP "Diamond"-Walbro 255, rebuilt TB, OVC hardpipe with HKS SSQV, GM 3" MAF, 1G DSM MAF Translator, 88-89 knock box, black silicone vacuum lines, ABS & Cruise Control delete, 3" HKS Super Power Flow, wire tucked... kinda :/, NRG adjustable shift knob, MSD Blaster 2, tucking tire in the rear and zero wheel gap in fronts on D2's, aaaaaaaannddddd stickaaaaaassssss for that booooooooost!

Interested in: CF 83 style hood, CF air daayyuum. Ohh and turbo-to-intercooler hardpipe.

#20 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Interests:Family, Strength Sports, Starquests, Brewing beer and Land Rovers.

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

Do you plan to vent your hood?
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (Daily Driver)
2002 Discovery II SE7 (Wife's progeny wagon and tow vehicle)

Second place is S*** place , eh.  - Stéphane Peterhansel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users