tranny not shifting

I am at my wits end here, after installing my newly rebuilt tranny...it will not shift...I installed a Stage 3 Valve body in the new tranny before installing it in the car

any tips I can look for to help it shift? and wiring I can check voltage on? tranny is full of fluid and still not shifting.....I have a vac source going to the tranny to the modulator....

i just wanna drive this thing already....

oh and I also want to see about what it will take to get the OD working again...

Edited by PDodson

mike when going down the road it wont shift into different gears....reverse works fine and drive works just the other gears dont work....wont shift from first to second....second to third....and so on

Is your vacuum diaphram connected properly and not leaking vacuum? does it try to shift at all? what happens when it doesn't shift? does it stay in the same gear and decel or does it feel like it unlocks and freespins?

No leaks, car idles smooth as butter

I'm no expert, but I have to say it sounds like something with the governor. second guess would be valve body. did you check these for completely free valve movement? how did your governor ring sealing surface look like?

on a side note when I manually shift it I can go from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and thats it....so I know all the gears are there except OD....I have not tried to push the button on while driving yet I will soon enough though

ive been off line for a while and just read all the latest posts. so when you manually shift, you have 1-3 correct? if so, then chances are good that you have a manual shift vb. as far as od, when puhsing button does it kick in? contact the vb builder and verify. usually a stage 3 vb means its a manual shift vb, or at least all the shift kits i put in chevys, fords, and dodges are set up like that. stage 1 is a slightly firmer shift yet still soft enough to be comforatable, stage 2 is a more aggresive apply, very stiff, and in some cases if you have the correct parts and knowledge, a VERY stiff apply. stage 3 is full "race" and requires a manually shifted automatic. in comparison, 700r4's require you to put a steel wire in the gov assem to make it a manually shifted vb instead of springs and or weights for the up or down shift. did od work before rebuild?

• 3 months later...
Can somebody post a picture of the vacuum diaphram or specific location? I am going to pick up another auto car in Sept. that apparently has a hard time shifting from first to second so I want to be prepared for some on-the-fly troubleshooting

Can somebody post a picture of the vacuum diaphram or specific location? I am going to pick up another auto car in Sept. that apparently has a hard time shifting from first to second so I want to be prepared for some on-the-fly troubleshooting

Dear threadjacker..

It's the only thing on the driver's side of the trans right above the oil pan with a vacuum hose. check both the trans side and the intake manifold side to make sure the hose isn't cracked up.

lol.