88 TSI newbie with some questions???

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I jumped ahead a little with my first post. You can call me Scooby. I live in the Richmond Va area and just purchased an 88 TSI with 87,000 that has been sitting in a garage for 10 years or so. I have begun with getting the fuel system right first. Thanks for looking and any help you may offer.

Welcome man! Where at in Richmond?? I'm in Richmond and there's a few other guys around as well. I believe you can still get the strainer from mitsu, I got one a few years ago. The parts guy at Hyman Mitsubishi on Midlothian tpk is pretty cool, but you've gotta bring part numbers, he can't look anything up for it lol

I got the car after the owners son stripped or wrung off most of the exhaust and turbo manifold bolts, along with a horid spray bomb primer black paint job aaahhhh!!! On a positive note it came with a 16g turbo and scroll. A torch and a stripped bolt remover socket I was able to replace all the studs and nuts for the exhaust and get the 16g mounted. I will post some pics later. Thanks for your interest and input.

looks like a nice setup. All the other original hoses on the tank should be replaced as they are 25 + yrs old. Dont forget about cleaning out the hard lines that go from the tank to the engine. the soft gas lines in the engine bay should also be replaced. I took those 2 lines to a local shop and had them use the original fittings and install new 300psi hose.

Looks like youre on the right tract.

AND welcome aboard

Blowing out the hard fuel lines and replacement of the soft hoses in the rear of the car are next on my list. From there I will move to the engine bay and get to work on replacing the fuel lines, new gaskets for the TB and have the injectors sent off to be cleaned and tested.

Beyond this I have to go through the cooling system.

Thanks for all the input, it is greatly appreciated.