• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mystallion

Mystallion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:55 PM

I知 trying to get a replacement muffler, but it needs to be as close to OEM as possible. Not looking for anything fancy. Dual exhaust tips like the original.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thank you in advance

#2 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 14 July 2020 - 05:34 PM

View PostMystallion, on 14 July 2020 - 03:55 PM, said:

I知 trying to get a replacement muffler, but it needs to be as close to OEM as possible. Not looking for anything fancy. Dual exhaust tips like the original.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thank you in advance

You could always find an OE WRX muffler for cheap. It would be single tip but probably larger diameter than stock.

#3 Mystallion

Mystallion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:38 PM

Thank you, but I知 looking for a muffler that would be near OEM in shape and configuration. Dual tips a must

#4 aknorthstar

aknorthstar

FarNorth Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 14 July 2020 - 11:38 PM

The guy i sold my 86 to installed one of these and it looks good  https://www.ebay.com...xoAAOSw2xRYcW~V

#5 damageinc86

damageinc86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:11 PM

I would just be scared of the obsession with trapping farting bees into a can and calling it a muffler lol.

#6 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:40 PM

View Postaknorthstar, on 14 July 2020 - 11:38 PM, said:

The guy i sold my 86 to installed one of these and it looks good  https://www.ebay.com...xoAAOSw2xRYcW~V

How does it sound?
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#7 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:49 PM

I'm looking at private label.  Not dual tips though.

Will likely be a while before I'm ready to pull a trigger, but there stuff looks nice

#8 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:05 PM

I splurged and got the HKS cat back setup. Gonna have a local shop make a B pipe to match
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#9 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 18 July 2020 - 12:02 AM

Muffler? Straight pipe that beotch.
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

<SOS> http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
<SQ Garage> http://www.starquestgarage.com/

#10 Mystallion

Mystallion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 12:20 AM

I知 trying to bring it back to OEM as much as possible, that痴 why I知 looking for a muffler that looks AND sounds as close to stock as it can.

#11 Jonathan

Jonathan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 12:09 PM

This is the one I am getting. Looks stock and straight thru design.

https://www.ebay.com...5.c100005.m1851

I already have one that is going on my mini cooper turbo. Looks stock to pass smog, in this hell hole of a area socal.

Edited by Jonathan, 18 July 2020 - 12:11 PM.

Jonathan

#12 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 12:14 PM

Not stock looking but private label manufacturing has a nice titanium one I'm looking at

#13 demonquest22

demonquest22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 10:14 PM

I used a vibrant dual tip straight through muffler. It has a nice deep tone and looks oem plus
https://www.ebay.com...5QAAOSwKulevS3t
Posted Image

1989 Conquest tsi fiji: on the road
1988 Palermo grey: on the road
1988 Conquest tsi fiji: in storage for sale

#14 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,707 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 02:33 AM

I have a straight through 3" ebay muffler.  I can't say I like it much.  It's fairly loud.  With it idling in the driveway I can hear it inside the house.  I don't mind loud cars but I prefer them to be more mellow.  It makes it nicer to drive and attracts less unwanted attention.  I've been looking at magnaflow 3 chamber mufflers.  Jegs has them in round and oval for about $80.  You need to add your own tips but I'm betting they will be quieter.  

Years ago I had a stock SQ with stock exhaust including cats.  I idled that car next to my other SQ with no cats, 2.5" downpipe and B pipe plus HKS catback.  The stock SQ was louder.  The HKS setup had a round chambered muffler so I'm guessing that's why it was quieter.
My 87
Posted Image

#15 JessN16

JessN16

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:49 AM

This is what I did with mine. Sorry about the low image quality. Couldn't get the cell phone to get a good shot of the dark underside of the car without the light of the day interfering.

First, the muffler tip -- it's square. It's a Gibson Elite Black. I never thought round muffler tips made much sense on our cars, with all the square lines and the hexagonal profile front and rear on the widebodies. Here's the link to Summit Racing: https://www.summitra...ts/GIB-500365-B

Now, the muffler. I've always liked the Moroso Spiralflow muffler. It's close to being a straight-through sound but it does have some spiral baffling to eliminate rasp. It makes the G54B sound quite muscular: https://www.summitra...parts/MOR-94050

Finally, here's the car:Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Current denizens of the garage:
'88 Conquest TSi
'10 Jaguar XF Premium Portfolio
'89 Jaguar XJS V12
'87 Jaguar XJ6
---
In the rearview mirror:
'87 Starion (black), '88 Conquest TSi (black), '88 Conquest TSi (Durban), '88 Jaguar XJS V12, '76 Jaguar XJ12L, '88 Jaguar XJ6 VDP, '99 Jaguar XJ8, '98 Jaguar XK8, '03 Jaguar S-Type, '85 Jaguar XJ6 '88 Galant Sigma, '90 Ford Taurus SHO, '75 Bricklin SV-1, '97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

SQCBannerSig2

#16 JessN16

JessN16

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:57 PM

A better picture ...

Posted Image
Current denizens of the garage:
'88 Conquest TSi
'10 Jaguar XF Premium Portfolio
'89 Jaguar XJS V12
'87 Jaguar XJ6
---
In the rearview mirror:
'87 Starion (black), '88 Conquest TSi (black), '88 Conquest TSi (Durban), '88 Jaguar XJS V12, '76 Jaguar XJ12L, '88 Jaguar XJ6 VDP, '99 Jaguar XJ8, '98 Jaguar XK8, '03 Jaguar S-Type, '85 Jaguar XJ6 '88 Galant Sigma, '90 Ford Taurus SHO, '75 Bricklin SV-1, '97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

SQCBannerSig2

#17 TroyStarion

TroyStarion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Old race cars and classic rock

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:36 AM

Guys... he's looking for a OEM look. It's like you guys are pressuring him with all this aftermarket stuff when he doesn't want it. Also, couldn't really search too good as I got a HKS on my car, but you might wanna go check out Magnaflow. Other than that, partouts, and the Items Wanted section are your friends, and Facebook for that matter.
87' Sarajevo White ESi-R- Daily driver for the summer
87' Serbia Black ESi-R- SOLD

#18 Mystallion

Mystallion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:44 PM

It痴 all good. I WAS looking for an oem look and sound, but it was nice to see all the other options available for our cars. I知 sure they all look/sound good.
I ended up getting lucky and buying an OEM muffler in very good shape from another member on the forum. Will be getting it installed soon. I do have a 3 exhaust pipe with 2nd cat deleted and planning on reducing it to 2 right before it enters the rear of the muffler. Does anyone have a similar set up? Just want to make sure I don稚 run into a back pressure problems. Even though I think I値l be ok going from 3 to 2. What do you guys think?

#19 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:14 PM

Mystallion, on 02 August 2020 - 03:44 PM, said:

It痴 all good. I WAS looking for an oem look and sound, but it was nice to see all the other options available for our cars. I知 sure they all look/sound good.
I ended up getting lucky and buying an OEM muffler in very good shape from another member on the forum. Will be getting it installed soon. I do have a 3 exhaust pipe with 2nd cat deleted and planning on reducing it to 2 right before it enters the rear of the muffler. Does anyone have a similar set up? Just want to make sure I don稚 run into a back pressure problems. Even though I think I値l be ok going from 3 to 2. What do you guys think?

You'll defeat the purpose of having a 3 inch exhaust by reducing it back to 2 inches. There are many mufflers out there that will give a good factory look but have a 3 inch inlet. Unless you can somehow cut off the two inch inlet and weld a 3 inch to the can section but that metal is thin and I doubt it would work.

#20 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,707 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:33 PM

The muffler I'm putting on mine is a 3" inlet with dual 2.25 outlets.  That may seem small but the 3" pipe has 7.07" of opening area and the 2.25" has 3.98".  Multiply that by two and the 2.25 outlets have more area for flow that the 3" inlet.  A small set of tips would give you a stock look while having increased flow.
My 87
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users