27 replies to this topic

#21 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:09 AM

hmm, the printed instructions in my ARP stud kit say 80 ft-lbs.  I just double checked it last night.    Well, I'll use 90 ft-lbs from now on.  thanks!

The measurements I did on the o-rings was just using a straightedge over the rings and a feeler gauge to measure the gaps at the indications noted on the paper.   Keeping in mind that I was doing it with the engine in the car.   So, my measurement technique's weren't the best but I did take my time with it.   The o-rings should have been well seated because I performed these measurements after tear down post this leaking issue.

#22 Dad

Dad

Advanced Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,164 posts
  • Interests:One stock and one not!
    87 White Quest
    87 Shetland
    83 Starion- Chevy powered

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:30 PM

Older ARP studs were 85 lbs.  later with Ultra lube is 90

#23 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:53 PM

Thanks!   The AJUSA arrived, thanks to Dad!   Hoping to work on this over the weekend.

#24 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:50 AM

I have some updates:

This weekend I hand stoned the deck and removed all of the milling marks.  I verified everything was flat, smooth, and clean.  I installed copper o-rings of .040" diameter into the o-ring grooves.   O-ring protrusion was .008-.009" consistent.   I used the AJUSA head gasket and torqued it to 90 ft-lbs with the ARP studs.   I did a leak down test cold and had no issues with pressurizing the coolant, consistent values, etc.  

Fired her up and took her for a ride.  I don't seem to be having issues with smoke after cruising and letting off the gas anymore, but now I have issues with blue smoke when I accelerate!   WTH!   Also it didn't seem to appear until after driving for 15-20 minutes.

I haven't done any further diagnostics, I spent most of the weekend working on the car and was frustrated and exhausted last night when I found these results.   Also, I have an oil leak at the back of the engine.  It could be just the valve cover gasket for I didn't replace it and may have over tightened the bolts.   Or it could be from the HG and that the copper o-rings didn't crush enough and I have the same damn problem.

#25 Rapom

Rapom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:57 PM

I just read the entire thread... ive not got much to add.. other than i was considering O ringing my block but now maybe not.. sounds like its 100% machinist ability... last i checked thoes people are few and far between these days... on mine i didnt mill the block.. hell didnt even lay a straight edge accross it. Im using a Chinese cific new head with the felpro hg 9160? Dont quote me on that.. arp studs torqued at 90. No issues yet.. 1000 hard miles

About the oil leak.. i tried to reuse my vc gasket and holy hell did the back portion puke everywhere! Dont forget the sealer on the "bumps"

About blue smoke.. il bet it will pass. If you had enough pressure in the oil system to pop out ur dip stick... id be willing to bet you have oil puddles in the bottom of the intake.. pvc hoses.. turbo pipes.. intake runners. Turbo seal over pressurized from compression in oil lines? Pop a spring clamp off of a valve seal?

Edited by Rapom, 07 October 2019 - 10:58 PM.

#26 Funky Phil

Funky Phil

Super Pooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,446 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:00 AM

Kev, I wouldnt run that gasket or orings even.
I had same EXACT issue with my SCE.

Pound some copper wire into the groove and find yourself an ajusa sir. Then throw that sds in the trash! Haha
10.95@120mph  https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8Q01UKt5q4U
Built G54B, S364, R154, stock 6-bolt, fireballs

#27 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:55 AM

Phil,

That's what is in there now; ajusa and copper o rings.  

Have you used a restrictor on the borg warner s257sxe?  I have a -4 inlet and -10 outlet to the pan.  no PCV valve currently, relying on the exhaust port running to the valve cover.  It definitely pulls vacuum at idle but not sure it is sufficient enough.

#28 Funky Phil

Funky Phil

Super Pooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,446 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:50 PM

No restrictor on any of the borgs, if your pressurizing the crankcase though, its gonna push oil.
Could be as previously stated, residual.
I seem to remember you doing some different things with the venturi than me. Not sure if that could be it.

Edited by Funky Phil, 10 October 2019 - 04:58 PM.

10.95@120mph  https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8Q01UKt5q4U
Built G54B, S364, R154, stock 6-bolt, fireballs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users