#1 JohnnyWadd

JohnnyWadd

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,936 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

Here is how to fix that busted latch forever.
Problem= lid wont stay latched or lid needs specail attention to lock down and latch.

Fist you need to remove the center console lid. 9 screws. 4 for the hing, 3 under the secondary compartment, and 2 at the left and right of the latch. And watch out for that roll pin in the peice of sheet metal that limits the lids travel..
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hopefully the broken peices are still there. With this peice i am using for the write up the latch pivot was broken on one side and the limiter peice was busted off...the second picture above looks okay but one side is broke...but one side is broken....
Posted Image

And the limiter peice is gone...here is the limiter peice glued back in place...(the limiter piece lets the latch only close so much so if you limiter piece is gone/broken when you try to latch it you always have to lift up the latch first)
Posted Image

And then let use our favorite glue to glue the broken pivot(s) back...i used super glue...that all you need becuase in the next step we are going to make is so strong that epoxy or jb weld would be useless...
Posted Image

So now you have it glued back together whats next? Now it time to drill!  For this you need 2 or 3 3/32 drill bits.
Posted Image

3 holes to drill. As an option if you have some super tiny bits to stat the holes use them. It will make it easier. These little jewelry bit help and are cheap on ebay and highly usefull for getting out brokens bolts too...
Posted Image

Drill two seperate holes into the hinge but not too far , leave space for the limiter peice to be drilled...

Posted Image

Drill each side same depth and leave the drill bit in there. Use a lighter to heat the bit good and hot once to melet the plastic into the bit.
Posted Image

When you heat the bit some plastic flows out like so...see the little lip by the bit..

Posted Image

Drill bits hanging out either side...
Posted Image

Just cut them off with a dremel or hacksaw. Now drill a 3/32 hole in the little limiter peice...
Posted Image

If you didn't go to far with your pivot drills the bit will go in all the way past where it was broken...for this one i did not leave the drill bit in but glued in a aluminum peice from the earlier pics....
Posted Image

Here it is trimmed off...
Posted Image

So to recap , drill three holes and leave the bits in there to make the plastic now have a super strong endoskeleton.

Now back together, if you have that nasty delaminating issue like this lid had, peel it open and use super glue or similar and then before reassembly wrap tight with saran wran....
comes apart here...this is where glue goes...
Posted Image

See the warping?
Posted Image

After gluing wrap up like so and ad a small block to help equalized the force...
Posted Image
Posted Image

Let dry and reassemble. The spring can be tricky. There are two little hole here...
Posted Image

The spring ends go in there.

Edited by JohnnyWadd, 15 April 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#2 randy

randy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!
  • Model:Other

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

Nice fix on the lids.

#3 ESIrType?

ESIrType?

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts
  • Interests:Cheese, sloth fighting and bigfoot!
  • Model:Other

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

Good write up! I've recovered a bunch of these lids with leather. Everyone but one was cracked and had a broken latch. I think I ended up pulling the latch from mine.

Shawn
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 JohnnyWadd

JohnnyWadd

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,936 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Also watch this roll pin, it comes loose and lets the part that limits the hinge upward gouge into the foam...
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users