Rear Hatch Adjustment/Rear Wiper/Center brake fix

BuzzKill

The hinges on the rear lid are adjustable on the body, here is how you do it (It is a pain in the a**).

NOTE: It is very helpful to have a factory manual anytime attempting a task of this nature. The manual illustrates how to remove such panels without damaging them.

1. Remove the rear headliner (roll bar trim) by prying downward on the rear of the liner (edge near the hatch opening) and inserting a trim stick or screw driver between the liner and the clips. Remove the clips and remove the liner by pushing it towards the front. This will usually require a decent shove to get it to move.

2. The adjustment bolts of the hinge will be in plain view in the body. Loosen the nuts leaving them in place.

3. Open the hatch only enough to clear the latches (approx. 3").

4. Make sure the hinges are loose from the body. Sometimes they stick to it.

It takes two people to complete the next step.

5. Have someone inside the car ready to tighten the bolts while the other person adjusts the position of the lid to where you want it.

In my case, all I had to do was push the lid up and then tighten the bolts and the spoiler was perfectly aligned with the side spoilers. As a bonus, my rear wiper started working again. This whole time I thought the motor shot. Go figure

Written by: Lentzo

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I can't guarantee you won't break one (or more) of the plastic clips, but I've managed to do it quite a few times without breaking any. The rear headliner (the part with the vents and sensor) slides forward. You just need to push it forward hard enough to get it to release - start shoving it forward (from the back side of it) with a fair amount of effort and shove it with more effort each time until it moves. The clips are in such a way that this shouldn't break them. Just be careful to keep your hands away from the vents, you can crack them pretty easy if your hand slips.

• 1 month later...
I have a non working rear wiper, rear defogger, and third brake light. I am gonna try it this weekend. I had a strong feeling these problems were all related, but never in a million years would I have guessed this. I just can't understand how this fixes this problem, but if it works I guess I don't need to know.  Anyone know why this causes them to fail? I am baffled. My hatch almost even right now, but I'll try it anyway. It's worth a shot.

There are contacts in the hatch struts/supports that can get corroded or bent enough that they don't make proper contact to complete the circuit. In addition to realigning the hatch, try cleaning the contacts in the hatch struts and bend them back out slightly (being careful not to break them).

The fact that all 3 (wiper, brake light & defogger) don't work for you is a good indication that this will probably correct the problem.

• 1 year later...

VikingDJ

The reason this works is when the hatch is out of alignment

the electrical components do not make contact. When you

adjust the hatch forward then the contacts come together.

You might also check the plugs on the hatch struts.

Good luck

Bill

• 1 month later...