Hood Latch broke

natedog_37

The hood latch will not open the hood. I opened it maybe 5 min closed it took the car for a drive, and now it will not open. I tried to pull on the cable connected to the latch but nothing. Hood has very little play. I can't lift the hood up, our push the hood down. Tried some WD40 but still nothing. There seems to be a ton of slack in the cable since the hood latch is simple to move.

Any ideas on how to get my hood open.....

Crawl under the car and try get to the bottom of the latch by hand.

trying. I searched and I found that but man I am not a small man and my arms are to big. I am going to try to go up from behind the rad. But right now it is to hot.

that happend to me, and my friend (workinprogress) went up underneath with a huge crow bar thingy i bought, (or you could use a long scewdriver) and somehow popped it open. i tried it a million times and couldnt get it but he did in like 5 mins. Now i got it rigged up in the front witht the cable so i have to open it from that hanging behind the airdamn on the drivers side. i would suggest trying that, but like i said, i never got it. my friend did. Good luck man.

-Broken

Edited by BrokenquestTSI

that happend to me, and my friend (workinprogress) went up underneath with a huge crow bar thingy i bought, (or you could use a long scewdriver) and somehow popped it open. i tried it a million times and couldnt get it but he did in like 5 mins. Now i got it rigged up in the front witht the cable so i have to open it from that hanging behind the airdamn on the drivers side. i would suggest trying that, but like i said, i never got it. my friend did. Good luck man.

-Broken

Got a pic of how you rigged it up? I want to do this.

I am going to give it another try tonight. I needed to let the car cool down, and my temper was flairing.

I need to get a crow bar I think. I am hoping I can get my hand up there behind the Rad.

ill take a pic of it when i go to my moms and see my car if you want. My friend just tied the cable up around whatever he pushed up with the cro bar, but like i said, he did it for me. I'll snap a pic with the cable just the way it is, then when the cables pulling the latch to open it. ill get back to you whenever i get over there. hopefully today.

You can take a looongg screwdriver and attack it from underneath. The latch needs to be pushed from the engine side and towards the driver's door.

Jimmy

I had what I though was a long screw driver but I guess it wasn't. I can't get my hands up above the intercooler, our next to it they are to big. GOD I LOVE BEING FAT> hahahah

Thanks for all the help I am going to give it another shoot tonight. Glad this is a fun car..

I never tried it from under the car but if he grill is out an you remove the bolts you can see in the header panel it will pull out enough to get your arms in the gap, you'll feel a tab sticking down and its what needs to move to the left side of the car

you can get new clips for the grill if they break, and usually do, they are about $1

if you don't have a replacement cable in the mean time you can bend a coat hanger and attach it to that folded down arm and run it through the grill and bend it backwards and have a loop sticking out

Got the stupid thing. I had the grill off but I have hard charge pipes and my hands are to fat to get up there.

I used the rod from the vertical shades in the garage. Took me 30 sec. !!!!

Thanks Indiana I am going to rig it like that and leave it after I have a cable just in case.

Ill have to keep this pic handy... this is the third or so similar topic.

Heres what youll see from the bottom(the top of the pic face the front of the car)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w202/89PalermoSHP/plate1.jpg

Coming in behind the radiator wont do you any good. Look up between the front bumper and intercooler. Ive got a set of the craftsman prybars that have the red screwdriver hanle that probably would be long enough.

Yeah I didn't pull the old one off yet I just hooked a cable to the level ran it down to the Front Driver side tow hook. I used a bolt, and 2 washers.

Put the bolt though the tow hook. Put a washer on the bolt. Tie the cable to the bolt, and then another washer, and then a lock nut.

Made it really tigh and I have a way now to open the hood.

and I know the cable is not going anywere.

I will order the new cable from Dad this week.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Edited by natedog_37

how difficult is it to do if you already pulled the cable through....? (i know, im an idiot)

At this rate I am going to say screw it and leave it close.

you never want to do this, thats what i did and look at my car. :( (unless theirs nothing wrong with your engine)

glad you got it.

-Broken