• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gibbon

Gibbon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:23 AM

Hi all, when I bought my car the rear brakes were stuck on. So I pulled them off, replaced the linings, cleaned and re-kitted the calipers. I wound the pistons back in as far as they would go, prior to reinstallation

At the same time I pulled the dashboard and brake master cylinder for some corrosion work. I still haven't got them back in but would like to restore the park brake function, but it doesn't seem to work.

The cables go nice and tight and I can see the levers moving on the underside of the caliper but the brakes don't hold. Do I need to bleed the rear brakes before the park brake can be adjusted? The thought occurs that perhaps I need to bleed the hydraulics and reposition the piston up against the disc before the park brake will adjust itself. I've tried haplessly ratcheting the park brake a million times in the hope that it'd creep the piston out and fix itself but alas no. Thoughts?

Edited by Gibbon, 22 January 2020 - 03:24 AM.

#2 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:05 AM

Get the FSM at starquestgarage.com. free download. Section 5 brakes. Yes youll hace to have functioning brakes to adjust the parking brake correctly. Or you will have to readjust them loose before bleeding
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#3 JAinsworth

JAinsworth

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:44 AM

Ratcheting the parking brake will not adjust it. Under the console is the cable, there are two 10mm nuts on the cable that have to be adjusted for the emergency brake.
Jimmy

#4 pcristquester

pcristquester

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, Starquests and other unique cars. IPA and IIPA
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:50 AM

View PostJAinsworth, on 22 January 2020 - 08:44 AM, said:

Ratcheting the parking brake will not adjust it. Under the console is the cable, there are two 10mm nuts on the cable that have to be adjusted for the emergency brake.
Jimmy
FSM says adjust to 6-7 clicks iirc
Posted Image

#5 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,128 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:28 PM

Did you disassemble the e-brake lever when you did the caliper rebuild?   The reason I ask is that I've had it where the lever moved but the threaded rod that pushes the piston was fully corroded/jammed up in the caliper.   How to check is to pull of the cable, remove the caliper from the bracket and move the lever.  The piston should move out accordingly.   Do that on both sides because the car needs both e brakes to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users