original 5.0 killer?

sayaovang dsm

just got a question, all of my uncles in my family and i have a lot of uncles and my dad... so we were discussing about my dad's starquest one day and all of my uncles said that the starquest was the original 5.0 killer... im not sure if its true but i do believe it because my dad beat plenty of 5.0's in his days with the carboth cars stock... so my uncles are correct right? im more of a dsm guy so i dont know as much about the starquest.. but i do believe it is the original 5.0 killer.. am i correct?

yea that was wat i was thinking.. because my dad has never lost a race to any car except for when he ran my uncle when my uncle first got his dsm and it was stock at that time, the starquest is what really made mitsubishi its name even though not a lot of people know about it its what made the dsm's dsm's and 3kgt's are the succesor

yea as far as i know the only car that was able to beat the 5.0 nasty was the starquest, i know the mk3 supra could beat it too but would struggle because of its weight... man its good to know the starquest is just an amazing car, im a dsm owner but starquest have been in my family even before i was born my dad had a 84 flatty but got totaled it when a drunk driver hit him, then when i was about 4 he bought a 88 fatty, i turn 20 in january and i now own that same car haha..

ive always had a passion for these cars, it was the mk4 supras and these starquest that i always wanted... until the day my uncle built his dsm and ran low 12's in the year 2001 he had one of the fastest dsm in wisconsin at that time, by 2006 he was running 10's on street tires ams even offered him 9k cash for his car when they dynoed it for him because they never seen one like his they said his was the cleanest they ever seen, but at that time his car was probably worth 10-15k... so ever since then i been a dsm guy but i still have passion for my first love in cars the starquest!!! lol

Yeah when my shop foreman found out I had a conquest he said these cars were the shiat back in the day. He said these cars and the Buick Grand Nationals were the fastest things on the road in the late 80's. "You had to be somebody" to own a starion or conquest he said back then.
  • Like 1

I too have heard this but first hand. Older gentleman was talking to somebody i know and he notices me pull up. he asked be about my car and said "do you know what this is? it's the original mustang killer" he told me to keep it as long as I can because it's a beautiful car.

If you need parts or how-to input, you've come to one of the few places your going to get any decent information about them. Unfortunately Starquest's are considered an orphaned car and there is very little aftermarket support despite what I think is a very healthy enthusiast community.

Yup...even my dad said they were the crap in their day. These, grand nationals, and the Omni GLHs...hahaha

V8s were so killed by smog ordinances that they were quite embarassing.

But, I took a 5.0 GT with only exhaust with my old Quest. At the next light, the kid was asking me what was in it...he drove away ashamed when I told him a 4 banger :P And his was a very nice low mileage car...lol

Edited by strang3majik

so its official guys the sstarquest is the original 5.0 killer!!! lol yea ive known about this site for a while but never made an account because i was always on dsmtuenrs but i might as well get on now since my dad and i are always reading about what we can do to our quest we always knew it is a good performance car thats why we have one we just never had money to put anything into it lol

• 2 months later...

HA! And some people thought my "Pony Killa" sticker was a joke. I dont like mustangs anyway. Way too over rated.

it was a joke. You were supposed to get a rep before you put that on your car.

not a good idea to instigate the mustang crowd like that. you think guys here are fanatical? LOL

I too have heard this but first hand. Older gentleman was talking to somebody i know and he notices me pull up. he asked be about my car and said "do you know what this is? it's the original mustang killer" he told me to keep it as long as I can because it's a beautiful car.

It was the original "mustang killer" back in the day. In the mid 90s, I tore up a couple of fox body stangs on the Belt prkwy and Flatlands ave. I know a couple of guys who killed Grand Nationals with their slightly moded quest in street races too. Lou was one them, "Fountain" was the palce, Man, I miss those days.

It was the original "mustang killer" back in the day. In the mid 90s, I tore up a couple of fox body stangs on the Belt prkwy and Flatlands ave. I know a couple of guys who killed Grand Nationals with their slightly moded quest in street races too. Lou was one them, "Fountain" was the palce, Man, I miss those days.

yes but times have changed and only now have things began to move in a positive direction for us but we still don't tune properly i think. mustangs dominated the streets in the 90's make no mistake and with even more after market than rx-7's it's insane now. Shortman and Sterling was supposedly running hard back in the day.There is a guy in brooklyn with a yellow one but i don't know him. We are the only two I know of in brooklyn running on MPI. Don't know how well he is running I can only speak for me.

Belt prkway has bad roads still and nobody races at flatlands anymore but then again i have not been hunting in a while.

yes but times have changed and only now have things began to move in a positive direction for us but we still don't tune properly i think. mustangs dominated the streets in the 90's make no mistake and with even more after market than rx-7's it's insane now. Shortman and Sterling was supposedly running hard back in the day.There is a guy in brooklyn with a yellow one but i don't know him. We are the only two I know of in brooklyn running on MPI. Don't know how well he is running I can only speak for me.

Belt prkway has bad roads still and nobody races at flatlands anymore but then again i have not been hunting in a while.

I was at Flatland Ave that night when a Stang doing 110ish mph cliped a passenger Oldsmobile; cops swarmed the place in minutes. Where were you? That same summer, the roads got dug up to prevent future racing. The Belt was nice back then, well, you weren't a driver at the time so you wouldn't know.

And No, Stangs did not dominate the roads in 90's, at least not in NYC. Built MK3 supras, turbo 2 rx7, 300zx tt and DSM were tearing up the roads; some SQs did run decent but aftermarket support sucked.

Yellow MPI car in Bklyn is probably Mike's car, an old school SQ head. I know a few of those DieHard SQ owners in the metro area,

most don't drive em as much, covered or garaged.

Edited by DieHARDmitsu.

I was at Flatland Ave that night when a Stang doing 110ish mph cliped a passenger Oldsmobile; cops swarmed the place in minutes. Where were you? That same summer, the roads got dug up to prevent future racing. The Belt was nice back then, well, you weren't a driver at the time so you wouldn't know.

And No, Stangs did not dominate the roads in 90's, at least not in NYC. Built MK3 supras, turbo 2 rx7, 300zx tt and DSM were tearing up the roads; some SQs did run decent but aftermarket support sucked.

Yellow MPI car in Bklyn is probably Mike's car, an old school SQ head. I know a few of those DieHard SQ owners in the metro area,

most don't drive em as much, covered or garaged.

I was just a kid and did not have a license but I remember hearing about that accident, everybody knew. They dug that road up good, that was the best peice of stretch in brooklyn. I knew of one quick 7m supra and that was "big dog" he was bro in law to terry who owned a r1(rx-7) yellow conquest in brooklyn. My brother found that car for terry. it was previously black and was hit. He was running extra injector in his intake which was made by shortman(willow's brother:lime green quest he still has it BTW)

do you know mello tech?

Edited by lionbull

I was just a kid and did not have a license but I remember hearing about that accident, everybody knew. They dug that road up good, that was the best peice of stretch in brooklyn. I knew of one quick 7m supra and that was "big dog" he was bro in law to terry who owned a r1(rx-7) yellow conquest in brooklyn. My brother found that car for terry. it was previously black and was hit. He was running extra injector in his intake which was made by shortman(willow's brother:lime green quest he still has it BTW)

do you know mello tech?

William ain't letting that car go period, its been over 15 years since he first got it. No sure about mello tech, I might know him by another name, you know brooklyn ppl, they have too many aliases.

I like my car because it's like a lego beast. You can take it apart and put it back together fairly easy. I once watched willow swap in another motor over a period of 3days doing it after work. The year was 1995. The place was ocean avenue right where empire blvd meets. there was a shop there. I used to hang out there as a teen. The memories.

there was a correction officer whose name was mike back in the day. His car had an electric sun roof and it's color was unique. i think it was purple.

Edited by lionbull

the kid who started this thread i know. His dads car got me into these things like crazy. it's funny we were just talking about the MUSTANG killer this past weekend. But as soon as i saw his dads black conquest in his garage, all dusty and must have been sitting for 10 years. I was still instantly hooked. My first thought was "if someone saw this, they would freak by how intimidating it looked" The tinted windows helped. Almost bought his, but found my own and let them keep their family possesion.